Darren Bent on Paul Clement

Ramathorn

22 minutes ago, cannable said:

How much are you expecting him to do in about 500 minutes of football spread over half a season? 

How much work did he put in during those 500 minutes though? He’d score the odd tap in (Wolves away an exception), but other than that he was anonymous for the best part of games. One of the craziest things the club did was give HIM the option to renew last season.

I look through his videos on social media, full of clips pulling weights with abit of string, general cardio work. Yet when he’s out on the pitch, looks puffed out after twenty minutes. He barely does any running, would hardly call him a powerful player reliant on his strength. Not really someone known for His work rate.

Deosnt seem overly arsed about finding a club, another day in the Sky Studio earlier too.

Both are very bitter men. Paul for retailating and getting his brother Neil to diss Mel when he was given the boot. And Bent for not having the respect for the manager who signed you in the first place - when no other sod was arsed and career was going down the pooper.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There was a tiny bit of me that hoped when the teams went out to warm up, Lampard would ask Clement to our cones out. Obviously didn't happen and wouldn't happen because Lampard's too classy, but, puts out a mean cone does Cement, put em out at some of the worlds best clubs.

Ouch!!!!

I couldn’t stand Bent as a player. Not his fault, but he just totally didn’t suit the 433 and the moment he came in when Martin was injured was when it all went to pot in the 2014-15 campaign.

We were crying out for another hold-up player. Kenweyne Jones was available at the time, as Bournemouth loaned him to cover for Kermorgant when he got injured.

Yet we got a poacher. A good one, but a player who offered nothing in general play and was frustratingly offside half the time.

I was gutted we actually signed him, and for £40k a week or something like that on a three-year deal. My God how stupid were we? 

But as a person Bent seems like a really nice guy. Probably a good guy to have around the dressing room. He speaks well, seems to respect the fans too.

I’d take his word over Clement anyday.

I think the whole episode is pretty pathetic to be honest. Bent still wants to keep playing yet slates one of his ex-manger's on live TV - hardly going to encourage other managers to take a punt on him. As for Clement, however bitter he is about what happened at Derby, he needs to grow a pair and rise above things like that if he wants to be successful, not lower himself to the level that Bent has stooped to....I'm embarrassed that either of these two muppets are associated with the rams....

7 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Well, Well, Well. It appears that the confrontation avoiding PC is a keyboard warrior. 

Why get involved on social media with something that should remain private. DB (rightly or wrongly) has called him out on SKY but the better man would refrain from reacting in public. If he felt something needed to be said he would have been better going face to face and deal with it. 

But then does that point to him being unable to deal with man to man confrontation.

Yes surprised with PC really. Considering his previous record as coach at top European clubs, thought he would know how to deal with these things. 

9 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Well, Well, Well. It appears that the confrontation avoiding PC is a keyboard warrior

Why get involved on social media with something that should remain private. DB (rightly or wrongly) has called him out on SKY but the better man would refrain from reacting in public. If he felt something needed to be said he would have been better going face to face and deal with it. 

But then does that point to him being unable to deal with man to man confrontation.

Clement posts on here???

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

I ways liked Darren Bent. Genuine guy. 100 goals in Premier. Respect. 

Apart from scoring one of the great goals - which owes everything to genius of Will Hughes - he achieved very very little in a Derby shirt.

PC bang out of order,if Bent was fat  unfit, and lazy he is admitting he couldn't motivate him and manage him as a player.

funny how considering how he was used inconsistently ,last 20 mins here and their he still scored a few for us .

if he was fat and lazy surprised so many other managers kept him in the squad since PC departure.

Really poor of PC to make such juvenile comments which are obviously unprofessional and discredits himself close to being in the gutter. I would be concerned as a Reading fan having a manager with such a character, and as I am aware Bent may have said much more damming things that happened during his tenure that would be closer to the truth.

8 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Paul Clement was terrible during his time at Derby, so much that though MM had to sack him despite us not being in too bad a league position. I’ve heard stuff in regards to training, relationships with players and the amount of work he was putting in to scouting players/opponents that paints him in a very bad light.

Yet, just before Christmas, Mel Morris was telling anyone who would listen what a great job he was doing, and how he could be our Alex Ferguson.  A few weeks later and Mel is in the changing room.  Perhaps Mel was muddled, or perhaps Mel meddled. Just an alternative thought.

Mel mentioned that the players were unfit under Clement & many of them were carrying out training in their own time to subsidise their lack fitness work at the club. I think this touched a nerve considering how much money he spent on the training facilities. He was also concerned about players doing unmonitored training, highlighting the risk of injuries...etc. 

Everything that I was told by Mel regarding Clement and how he worked made me despise him. He took the club for a ride with outrageous wage demands that we unfortunately matched as an ambitious Championship club and proceeded to put in minimal effort.

We finished in the play-offs, but that season was a difficult one to watch.

I think this tweet from Clement shows how much pressure he is under already and it's only week one of the season. Can only see him doing what Bent said and crumbling again.

His post match interview where he was saying a prediction article had them down to finish bottom and needs to be changed suggests to me he is very insecure if that sort of thing is getting to him.

PistoldPete2
12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

*Irony alert* Just listening to the commo on the ShefU v Swansea game - they said Clement was putting our 94th minute goal down to fatigue. What, not fit enough Paul? ?

Fatigue? Well reading have had a long hard season. No, wait that's still to come. 

Clement didn't say Bent was fat and lazy. He said he was over weight and lazy.

I seem to remember he was asked to get to grips with why we had so many muscle injuries, and he was critical of players spending ages on the weights to develop their physique, for the purpose of pulling rather than playing. Hendrick was suggested as one offender. They didn't need to be so muscle bound to play, and that extra muscle presumably made them heavier and therefore susceptible to hamstring injuries etc.

I expect that removing the equipment didn't go down well with MM. 

its ancient history now anyway.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

*Irony alert* Just listening to the commo on the ShefU v Swansea game - they said Clement was putting our 94th minute goal down to fatigue. What, not fit enough Paul? ?

Reading looked knackered , some of them were blowing towards the end of the first half, they seemed to gee up a bit when they scored but we were a lot fitter. 

What I would say is that he set them up well to stop us playing, which is poor for your first home game, trying to make sure you dont lose rather than trying to win it.

Clement to be sacked by Christmas would not be a suprise 

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

The next time my wife tells me I'm over weight I'll tell her "I'm doing everything I can, I haven't been to the gym in 20 years".

Sounds like a good strategy to me.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Clement didn't say Bent was fat and lazy. He said he was over weight and lazy.

I seem to remember he was asked to get to grips with why we had so many muscle injuries, and he was critical of players spending ages on the weights to develop their physique, for the purpose of pulling rather than playing. Hendrick was suggested as one offender. They didn't need to be so muscle bound to play, and that extra muscle presumably made them heavier and therefore susceptible to hamstring injuries etc.

I expect that removing the equipment didn't go down well with MM. 

its ancient history now anyway.

This, I don’t see anything wrong with what Clement said. He did what he was asked to do with reducing muscle injuries. It’s easy to bash Clement now he’s not here but I didn’t see many people complaining about his training methods when were towards the top of the league? On Bent, wasn’t he often late arriving to games, even resulting him being dropped from the squad completely on occasions? Can’t have left a good impression in Clement’s mind, especially after seeing professionals like Ronaldo the year before he joined, it must have annoyed him.

Given real world experience I wouldn't say 1 or 2 apples out of the cart being below par is reflective of a manager - some seem to suggest it is. A manager just has to get those people out when presented with the opportunity as not everyone will respond positively to their new methods, in any large group 1-2 simply won't or can't change or may simply work better under a different style of management (indeed, perhaps they had a weak manager before who let them call the shots).

Not siding with either Bent or Clement here as unless you were within the squad or Paul Clement himself it is all subjective opinions, as it should remain.

Archived