This seasons surprise package? Player edition

RamLad1884

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disappointing not to have him involved post-Notts County, but as much in hope as expectation I'm going to say Elsnik. It is still very early days and if the lad produces in the U23s his opportunity should come again.

I could see him heading out on loan again.

Even against Notts, I thought he looked a little like a boy playing against men, I wouldn't be against a half season loan, especially if it came with a decent footballing side to allow him to stake a claim.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see anyone displacing Lowe at this point in time (before it starts) if he stays injury free.

In fact, all the younger players have shown their ability and determination whilst on the pitch.

Thomas has been fantastic, but who is going to make way for Marriott ? or Waghorn ?

cause Nuge and Bennett are right up there.

9 hours ago, David said:

Lawrence was given a hard time last season, has his fair share of doubters, I think he will be the one to make a few fans say ok, I got that one wrong. 

Breakthrough year, bit of a punt this one with his injuries but Max Lowe, fancy this season to be the one he really nails that left back spot.

Just to add to this, I know @Moist One called people out on Twitter earlier for this one, Bryson.

I voiced my concern over his legs, as have a few fans, I don't want to say I've been surprised by him in pre season, but some of my concerns have been dampened somewhat.

I'm staying cautious on this one still as it is just pre season, but he appears to have a bit of gas left in the tank. If he carries this through into the season, fantastic, no fan will be more pleased than myself.

Never knocked him as a player, his ability, desire, I just had concerns over his tank to get up and down the pitch.

He is getting old though, as is every footballer, no Peter Pan's about, not expecting a the same level that we saw back in 13/14, but here's hoping it gets a better promotion medal to replace that Cardiff one in the trophy cabinet.

Lawrence seems to be learning to lift his head up. I thought he was the finished article tbh. Too selfish to learn to stop pretending he's Ronaldo but this summer he seems to have chilled out a bit. Some promise at last after a season of only passing when he's forced to.

Lowe looks very good on the ball and while slightly naive in defence he won't be a liability. He's solid enough.

I really like Luke Thomas. I don't think he'll get the game time though. Wilson is one of the best young players in the country so I can understand why. But Thomas imo is worth more attention than Weimann, Anya, Blackman, Jerome. I hope he continues to get pushed forward. 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Ledley. 

Written off as surplus by me and some others but looked incredible. 

He won't last a full season. 

23 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

He won't last a full season. 

Absolute rubbish , with Brys and the young lads buzzing around him , Joe will stroll through games keepin everything ticking over , think he will play a big part in hopefully a big season for us

Ledley’s positioning is excellent. He’s incredibly intelligent with his passing too. It’s typically quite short, but usually the right option to keep us going forward. Ledley, Lawrence, Bryson and even Wisdom all look like they’ve signicantly improved as a player in a passing team. No surprise with Wisdom, he did very well under McClaren first time round. 

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:20, RamLad1884 said:

We've got a pretty good idea of who Lampard favours this season, the likes of Blackman and Thorne unfortunately look surplus. 

So on that basis, and considering the games through pre-season, which player/s are going to surprise us this year? 

I'm saying Thomas to have a breakthrough year, with Lawrence stepping it up to be the player we thought we bought. 

Thought initially you meant which team would be the surprise package and I would go for Blackburn....in terms of a player doing well. I too would go for Lawrence to come good.....

27 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thought initially you meant which team would be the surprise package and I would go for Blackburn....in terms of a player doing well. I too would go for Lawrence to come good.....

Thought some might make that assumption, so I put it in the title ? I agree on Blackburn for that matter though. 

On 28/07/2018 at 16:38, David said:

Lawrence was given a hard time last season, has his fair share of doubters, I think he will be the one to make a few fans say ok, I got that one wrong. 

Breakthrough year, bit of a punt this one with his injuries but Max Lowe, fancy this season to be the one he really nails that left back spot.

Maybe not wrong, because he was pretty awful at times last year. That’s just saying it how it is. 

I think the majority of us know there’s a good player in there, he just didn’t show it. Obviously some took it too far with certain threads.

I think he’ll have a top season this year too, 10+ goals. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Maybe not wrong, because he was pretty awful at times last year. That’s just saying it how it is. 

I think the majority of us know there’s a good player in there, he just didn’t show it. Obviously some took it too far with certain threads.

I think he’ll have a top season this year too, 10+ goals. 

Where is this coming from!? He wasn’t as good as we’d  hoped in Rowett’s stifled system but he wasn’t awful by any stretch. 

On 28/07/2018 at 10:38, David said:

Lawrence playing better than last season doesn't mean his critics were wrong previously.

It would mean there is less need for criticism.

Archived