This seasons surprise package? Player edition

RamLad1884

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

A little bit of praise wouldn't hurt either ?

Praise follows play deserving of it. If he starts to look up instead of selfishly charging into blind alleys I will gladly give him praise. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Praise follows play deserving of it. If he starts to look up instead of selfishly charging into blind alleys I will gladly give him praise. 

If the friendlies are any evidence then he is starting too. In particular there seems to a be a nice synergy developing between him, Lowe and Mount.

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Where is this coming from!? He wasn’t as good as we’d  hoped in Rowett’s stifled system but he wasn’t awful by any stretch. 

Just personal opinion, one of the most frustrating players I've watched here and that's purely because he's better than what he portrayed last year. I can take players who have clear limits to their abilities but Lawrence is a much better player than he showed last year IMO. 

The system didn't play to his strengths of course but individually he let himself down last year, you don't expect a player costing 5+ million pounds to have such poor decision making, it was on par with Theo Robinson's! Confidence is clearly a big thing for him, as when he hit a bit of form towards the end of the season he improved no end. He has to help himself sometimes though, which I don't think he did last year. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Just personal opinion, one of the most frustrating players I've watched here and that's purely because he's better than what he portrayed last year. I can take players who have clear limits to their abilities but Lawrence is a much better player than he showed last year IMO. 

The system didn't play to his strengths of course but individually he let himself down last year, you don't expect a player costing 5+ million pounds to have such poor decision making, it was on par with Theo Robinson's! Confidence is clearly a big thing for him, as when he hit a bit of form towards the end of the season he improved no end. He has to help himself sometimes though, which I don't think he did last year. 

I can accept you being disappointed with him but I’d suggest that you’ve forgotten what it was like watching Theo Robinson if that’s your belief ? 

I think Lawrence was made to look bad because he had no options. So any mistake made seemed worse because it was one of only a couple of times he’r have support in the final third as oppose to him playing in an attacking team where the same mistakes are less noticeable because there’s more opportunities for good decisions to be made. 

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I can accept you being disappointed with him but I’d suggest that you’ve forgotten what it was like watching Theo Robinson if that’s your belief ? 

I think Lawrence was made to look bad because he had no options. So any mistake made seemed worse because it was one of only a couple of times he’r have support in the final third as oppose to him playing in an attacking team where the same mistakes are less noticeable because there’s more opportunities for good decisions to be made. 

Theo cost 300k though, it was quite evident from the first 90 minutes that he had clear limitations when it came to playing football. That's why most of the fanbase had him down as a cult hero despite his flaws. 

When you sign a guy who's clearly got ability, cost your club a massive whack and has your manager claiming your the replacement for a 15+ goals a season winger you've got to come in and do the basics right. Not hit 9 out of 10 corners at the first man or over the whole 18 yard box, not make the decision to attempt to take another man on instead of playing in a team-mate, not to try the spectacular from obscure angles. I'm all for a player who will try something out of the ordinary but there's a time and a place for it, which I think he got wrong for the majority of last year. 

Like I say, I reckon he'll have a better year this year. He's got bags of ability if he uses it correctly. This pre-season is a good sign Frank and his team are the the guys to get the most out of him. 

Archived