Nuge!

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

This is the first and probably last time I’ll say this about a striker but I do think he offers so much more than goals to a squad, especially one in transition like ours. 

Not a starter, but definitely a keeper. 

Proper transition from yourself JAT. 13 words in, he's a striker, 26 words later he's a keeper. Scott Carson beware!

It’s quite sad, watching Nugent. Gives his all, still has quality but he’s lost just enough of his game to see how good he was whilst realising that he isn’t good enough.

Deserves to leave us on some sort of high but football’s a cruel game and I’d get rid.

Edit: I couldn’t be more made up for a footballer if he proves me wrong. 

8 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Give the bloke some credit,working his socks off.

I don’t know where he’s going to fit in this season but he deserves   some praise.

What a great professional.

Still think theres a place for him off the bench as he's a player who naturally finds pockets of space a bit like Kevin Phillips did.  A player like him is handy if younger one's are around him to do some of the running he does and create chances.  The question is can we afford to have someone at his end of wage sat on the bench for an hour every game .

He’s not a 90 minute player anymore but I think we would be daft to let him go. Off the bench he can have an impact. If we sell vydra and get Marriott, I’d be happy with letting go of Jerome and having Marriott, Martin, nugent and Bennett as our forward options.  

2018 saw nuge to suddenly not know how to finish.  Really weird in that if you wanted one player to be through in a one on one it was him.  Even in the last game of the season he contrived to make a simple chance much more difficult.  I am concerned that he will never find that skill again.  Great player wish we’d had him years ago but he is not a solution to our impact sub needs.  Maybe the January window provides an opportunity to sell to a desperate club

I’m not big on stats but I certainly think he should be involved for next season.

I am assuming CJ and Wardrobe are further down the pecking order,I don’t know what to make of the Vydra situation.

I am also assuming that we want to bring in 2 strikers if all the above aren’t going to be involved.

I was going to speculate who they might be but I’m not.

Nuge to certainly be involved in the match day squad.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/7616/Show/David-Nugent

I think his starts aren’t bad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Nugent worked his socks off yesterday and always gives everything he has and is well worth keeping around in my opinion.

Out of all our strikers he would be the best to keep. However any chance of securing a fee for him and moving him on I’d take it to free up funds

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Out of all our strikers he would be the best to keep. However any chance of securing a fee for him and moving him on I’d take it to free up funds

Much as I've always rated nugent,his performance against Southampton,whilst  energetic,looked pretty haphazard to me.....he failed to anticipate several movements which would have been to his advantage and looked pretty rusty.

He,'d be the one to move on,whilst he still has some value to my mind,esp in view of his age.

4 hours ago, ossieram said:

Nugent worked his socks off yesterday and always gives everything he has and is well worth keeping around in my opinion.

Agree with you ossie but I think Bennett can do Nuge's role as an out and out striker (if he steers clear of injury). He is quick, strong, works hard and is capable of scoring. I think Nuge has one year too many on the clock and don't think he'll get many games even if he stays. Just need to transplant Nuge's personality into Bennets bonce!

Interesting quote in the Telegraph: "it's a new challenge with a new striker coming in, and it's up to me, Cammy and Mase, and Jack, to keep the jersey" - so he doesn't seem to reckon Martin or Vyds will be there for the start of the season? - or am I just reading too much into this?

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Interesting quote in the Telegraph: "it's a new challenge with a new striker coming in, and it's up to me, Cammy and Mase, and Jack, to keep the jersey" - so he doesn't seem to reckon Martin or Vyds will be there for the start of the season? - or am I just reading too much into this?

Vydra hasn't been in training for ages now - And I think Martin has been in and out as far as I can tell - It's probably more to do with the people who've been around regularly than anything else - Would be my guess anyway

Archived