Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Our youth have been a pleasure to watch this season. I've enjoyed the U18 and U23 games as much as the first team games.

Last season our youth games were often pretty dreary, generally due to a lack of numbers and zero inclusion of senior players in the U23s.

I feel strange about Butterfield though. I've been really impressed by how he's conducted himself playing for the U23s. He's played well in every game, puts effort in, communicates well, helps the lads organise and our side is unequivocally better off for his presence - but at the same time I can't help but feel for him that he didn't get a move away and didn't (seemingly) receive any interest from other sides.

Obviously its a long season and with injuries he could absolutely get a chance in the first team this season, but if nothing materialises this is such a waste of a season for him on a personal level.

Last year of his contract, so he really has to impress those watching given how the last couple of years have gone for him.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Carnero said:

Last year of his contract, so he really has to impress those watching given how the last couple of years have gone for him.

I get that, but tbf he'd be capable of looking a cut above in the U23s putting in half as much effort as he does.

I hope he gets a loan in January.

Such a positive Jody being here. Not only is the good he's doing with the first team apparent, the interest he shows to the youth teams is got to be a positive and, dare i say, some of the success of the youth teams this year be down to him (credit to wassall of course as well). 

Unless someone else has said it ,I would like to be the first - Rams U23's will win the League this season simply because Jody is here and making sure that they play like the first team. Unique double coming up - 

Rams win Championship

Rams U23's win Premier League 2 Division 1

Watch this space!! ???️

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Rams U23's will win the League this season simply because Jody is here and making sure that they play like the first team.

...or you could give out some credit and praise to the people who've actually played a part in the development of our academy and its style of play over the past 3-5 years rather than making up a load of poo? ?

Our U23 and youth teams played with the same approach under Rowett, Clement & Pearson as they did under McClaren and now Lampard, it's not been some magical transition, more like the earlier investment (hard work, time & of course money) starting to show through.

From what I’ve heard both Butterfield and Thorne also deserve some credit. 

I know Butterfield is not exactly popular amongst some fans, but his attitude has been spot on and helping the U23s both on and off the pitch. Thorne also.

2 hours ago, Matt H said:

...or you could give out some credit and praise to the people who've actually played a part in the development of our academy and its style of play over the past 3-5 years rather than making up a load of poo? ?

Our U23 and youth teams played with the same approach under Rowett, Clement & Pearson as they did under McClaren and now Lampard, it's not been some magical transition, more like the earlier investment (hard work, time & of course money) starting to show through.

Sounds very likely what you are saying Matt H but I  beg to differ with you. I will differ without declaring your input to be a load of poo. I do not believe for one second that the U23's have always played the same whoever was manager. I would also be surprised if anyone agrees with you on that point. 

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

Unless someone else has said it ,I would like to be the first - Rams U23's will win the League this season simply because Jody is here and making sure that they play like the first team. Unique double coming up - 

Rams win Championship

Rams U23's win Premier League 2 Division 1

Watch this space!! ???️

Jody Morris is first team coach. Although he probably casts an eye over the "youth" teams I doubt he has such a day to day input to influence the team style to "make sure that they play like the first team"

31 minutes ago, David said:

From what I’ve heard both Butterfield and Thorne also deserve some credit. 

I know Butterfield is not exactly popular amongst some fans, but his attitude has been spot on and helping the U23s both on and off the pitch. Thorne also.

So many hate Butterfield for criticising Rowett's style of play, despite the fact that they claim to have hated Rowett all along. Utterly bizarre.

19 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Sounds very likely what you are saying Matt H but I  beg to differ with you. I will differ without declaring your input to be a load of poo. I do not believe for one second that the U23's have always played the same whoever was manager. I would also be surprised if anyone agrees with you on that point. 

I'd agree with him on that point.

Last season I relied on the under age squads to see nice football with a Ram on the chest, it wasn't to be found at 1st team level.

I think the difference is this season we've been more successful results wise with the 'kids'.

Archived