Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Calum Macdonald has scored a peach of a free kick. Been watching Harry Wilson slot them.

FT, Blackburn 1-3 Rams

Cresswell and MacDonald with a brace of stunning goals.

Last season people were talking about MacDonald as potentially better than Lowe. Good to see him back from injury.

I'm absolutely delighted with the progress the U23s and the U18s have made this year. We thought we had a good crop a couple of years ago with the likes of Vernam, Elsnik, Guy, Zanzala, etc getting us promoted to PL2 and keeping us up, but the current lot are outshining them. 

The U23s are 3rd in the PL2 and scoring for fun with plenty of teenagers playing regularly (including an 18-year-old captain in Max Bird), whilst the U18s are 4th in the U18 PL and scoring for fun despite some of their best players playing for the U23s. I really fancy us to do something special in the FA Youth Cup this year. As we saw last night, the lads who play for the U23s will return to bolster the ranks so we can have a real go at the competition.

We have England age group representatives in Sibley and Whittaker, a ROI age group representative in Jason Knight, a starlet in Max Bird, a prodigy in Tyree Wilson and someone who is tearing up League One in Luke Thomas. That's not to mention a first-team regular linked with a Premier League move in Jayden Bogle.

12 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I'm absolutely delighted with the progress the U23s and the U18s have made this year. We thought we had a good crop a couple of years ago with the likes of Vernam, Elsnik, Guy, Zanzala, etc getting us promoted to PL2 and keeping us up, but the current lot are outshining them. 

The U23s are 3rd in the PL2 and scoring for fun with plenty of teenagers playing regularly (including an 18-year-old captain in Max Bird), whilst the U18s are 4th in the U18 PL and scoring for fun despite some of their best players playing for the U23s. I really fancy us to do something special in the FA Youth Cup this year. As we saw last night, the lads who play for the U23s will return to bolster the ranks so we can have a real go at the competition.

We have England age group representatives in Sibley and Whittaker, a ROI age group representative in Jason Knight, a starlet in Max Bird, a prodigy in Tyree Wilson and someone who is tearing up League One in Luke Thomas. That's not to mention a first-team regular linked with a Premier League move in Jayden Bogle.

We are blessed with the quality of the youths coming through... Bennett, Lowe, Bogle, Macdonald, Bird, Sibley, Wilson, Mitchell-Lawson, Knight, Whittaker all look to have top flight potential (apologies for excluding any others). A large number will have solid football league careers from what I've seen.

Credit has to be given to Clough, Mel and the rest of the staff for all the work and effort they've put in to our youth setup.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We are blessed with the quality of the youths coming through... Bennett, Lowe, Bogle, Macdonald, Bird, Sibley, Wilson, Mitchell-Lawson, Knight, Whittaker all look to have top flight potential (apologies for excluding any others). A large number will have solid football league careers from what I've seen.

Credit has to be given to Clough, Mel and the rest of the staff for all the work and effort they've put in to our youth setup.

Clough?! Whittaker was about 12 when he left.

Man Utd drew with PSV last night meaning we are through to the next round as long as Man Utd don't thrash PSG. Group winners and the two best runners up (from 6 groups) go through to the QFs.

Current standings:

image.png.ac701962f2f1110e0580f495159050b5.png

Southampton, Reading and Villareal are already through. 

Dinamo, Feyenoord/Leicester, Spurs/Bilbao, Brighton/Bayern, and Liverpool all have a chance of going through from other groups

On 12/11/2018 at 21:33, Carnero said:

Every time I see the U18 highlights Tyree Wilson looks an absolute livewire. Tricky wideman/no.10 who both makes and scores goals. Certainly looks to have the talent to be the next on the U18->U23->1st team conveyor belt.

Called it ?

Archived