Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

I can understand why some would link Jody Morris’s arrival to the form of the U23s with the success he had at Chelsea, but he’s the assistant manager of the first team, a role that I’m sure keeps him occupied.

He probably has had some input with the U23s, as will Lampard to have a clear identity of how we want to play throughout the club, but I think it’s pretty disrespectful to the academy coaches and Wassall to praise Jody ahead of them for the form they are in.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Jody Morris is first team coach. Although he probably casts an eye over the "youth" teams I doubt he has such a day to day input to influence the team style to "make sure that they play like the first team"

Frank and Jody have simply said to their staff - this is the way that all our teams are going to play now. They monitor it and Wassall and the others know how to adapt. Same for previous managers also. If other staff do not see the sense of doing what Frank says they may well have a relatively short career here. Everyone needs to be on the same page. Every player and member of staff has had it made clear what is expected and the staff must be excellent because they are doing it and reaping the benefits. It is quite easy to imply that improvements in the first team are not down to Frank and Jody because there has been too much improvement in the time for it to be possible but we know it is true. Same for all the age groups at Derby County. Everyone is clear, on board and on the same page possibly like never before at this club. Long may it last. If you differ then no problem. That is what a forum is for isn't it? COYR

11 minutes ago, David said:

I can understand why some would link Jody Morris’s arrival to the form of the U23s with the success he had at Chelsea, but he’s the assistant manager of the first team, a role that I’m sure keeps him occupied.

He probably has had some input with the U23s, as will Lampard to have a clear identity of how we want to play throughout the club, but I think it’s pretty disrespectful to the academy coaches and Wassall to praise Jody ahead of them for the form they are in.

Wassall is excellent and will be here for many years but Frank and Jody have raised everything about Derby to another level. I talked to a Sheff Utd fan today who could not believe how good the Rams are playing. 

30 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd agree with him on that point.

Last season I relied on the under age squads to see nice football with a Ram on the chest, it wasn't to be found at 1st team level.

I think the difference is this season we've been more successful results wise with the 'kids'.

Fair comment, reveldevil. I stand corrected. ?

35 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd agree with him on that point.

Last season I relied on the under age squads to see nice football with a Ram on the chest, it wasn't to be found at 1st team level.

I think the difference is this season we've been more successful results wise with the 'kids'.

Me too. I haven't seen any noticeable change in the way the under 23s are playing this season; they have always played attractive attacking football. 

I agree with @David about Butterfield and Thorne's input  making a difference to results -  Alex Pearce has been a very steadying influence on the defence, too.

Where Frank and Jody's presence will have made a big change is their opening of the door to first team football if you're good enough. Who wouldn't be working extra hard to try and take that opportunity?

7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Fair comment, reveldevil. I stand corrected. ?

Don't get me wrong, I also think Frank and Jody and co have had an impact below 1st team level.

I think it's more a re-energising of the youth level once they see they'll get a chance if they're good enough, as witnessed with Bogle and Bennett, rather than direct intervention.

No greater incentive to perform than knowing the 1st team isn't a closed shop, after all.

Just now, reveldevil said:

Don't get me wrong, I also think Frank and Jody and co have had an impact below 1st team level.

I think it's more a re-energising of the youth level once they see they'll get a chance if they're good enough, as witnessed with Bogle and Bennett, rather than direct intervention.

No greater incentive to perform than knowing the 1st team isn't a closed shop, after all.

Good point. Pretty much everyone. Has upped their game. Chance of a lifetime to be part of Frank's revolution. I have had to up my game which in fairness needed a bit of work. All our fans believe that we have a part to play and we are improving as fans. Great to be a part of this process. COYR

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Sounds very likely what you are saying Matt H but I  beg to differ with you. I will differ without declaring your input to be a load of poo. I do not believe for one second that the U23's have always played the same whoever was manager. I would also be surprised if anyone agrees with you on that point. 

It was a light-hearted 'load of poo' comment, apologies if it wasn't obvious!

I was saying it because I know you're sometimes prone to overenthusiasm over fact, but I like that, as Frank would say. By poo I just meant solely crediting Morris, not that I don't think he has a role or that the attitude cascades from the top down.

As you've acknowledged in another post, it really hasn't been the case that the 1st team manager had dictated the way they play, so fair play. No offense meant!

8 minutes ago, Matt H said:

It was a light-hearted 'load of poo' comment, apologies if it wasn't obvious!

I was saying it because I know you're sometimes prone to overenthusiasm over fact, but I like that, as Frank would say. By poo I just meant solely crediting Morris, not that I don't think he has a role or that the attitude cascades from the top down.

As you've acknowledged in another post, it really hasn't been the case that the 1st team manager had dictated the way they play, so fair play. No offense meant!

No offence Nintendo or taken I am a natural enthusiast and  I know that praise brings better results than criticism. However my attitudes were severely tested by Rowettball, I can tell you. Just realised that my next cruise is in May, a great time to celebrate promotion by the Rams. 

14 hours ago, Carnero said:

Every time I see the U18 highlights Tyree Wilson looks an absolute livewire. Tricky wideman/no.10 who both makes and scores goals. Certainly looks to have the talent to be the next on the U18->U23->1st team conveyor belt.

Looked composed and assured. Took great care to place the finish for his goal when most players would have just blasted it.

9 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Wow. Good for him. Has he turned 16 yet? Only info I can find on him says he was still 15 when playing for the U23 team in April. 

Don't know but whether 15 or 16 it's still a massive achievement for him and another sign that performances in the youth teams will be properly rewarded by the management.

Just harking back to the playing styles thing, I'm sure that when Frank first came Darren Wassall was told to just carry on as was as the style he'd already tried to implement was akin to that which Frank and Jody were going to implement. Pretty sure Frank said he'd had to issue no remits too. Not sure whether I imagined this but in any case, it clearly makes sense for us to have a uniform style across all age groups as it makes the transitions from youth to senior rather more intuitive than has been the case in recent years. Must be nice for the youngsters too as they can see a clear and structured path to the first team if they show they can perform to the required level. I'm only a casual observer as I haven't seen that much of the U23s and very little of any of the younger lads but what I have seen has been really impressive and their results speak for themselves. Surely a bright future for the club with a deal of talent coming through. Also a vindication of Darren Wassall's abilities as a coach after being handed something of a poison chalice not too long ago.

Archived