Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can't see this, might be because I don't want it to be true. He's a decent player but £8m? Really? Why would anybody pay that?

With Marriott looking increasingly likely, and Wilson and Jozefzoon already signed, he wouldn't even be a starter for me.

Do we really live in a world where Ipswich can get £8,000,000 for Waghorn and we can't get £11,000,000 for Vydra?

Literally the only way this would be acceptable, or even comprehendable is if we were able to make £8m out of the sale of Blackman, Jerome and Nugent and then use it all on Waghorn*. Would cut wages, don't think it would weaken us either. But to bring him in for that kind of money, in an area of the pitch where we already have so many players, would be so, so, so foolish.

*EDIT - Just as a side note, I don't expect us to ever get anywhere near £8m for those three, in case it wasn't obvious.

Could mean that another one of our valuable assets like Lawrence are on their way out in addition to Vydra as Waghorn has played on the wing in the past. Can’t see us spending 8 million on him just to sit on the bench as if Marriot comes too, I imagine he’d be given assurances that he’d be first choice.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I really can't see this, might be because I don't want it to be true. He's a decent player but £8m? Really? Why would anybody pay that?

With Marriott looking increasingly likely, and Wilson and Jozefzoon already signed, he wouldn't even be a starter for me.

Do we really live in a world where Ipswich can get £8,000,000 for Waghorn and we can't get £11,000,000 for Vydra?

We did get 11m for vydra, in all fairness i can only see this happening if Vydra has progressed.

His stats for last season are impressive but 8m is too mucn 

I'd be genuinely quite worried if we pulled this off. I think this would blow our other bad transfers out the market.

It would make him our joint highest... I can't even think about it. I don't think he's a terrible player, by any means, but this is exactly the reason we have Blackman, Johnson & Butterfield on the books! 

Bloody hell. I was sat on here checking for updates about Marriott because he'd been removed from their pre-season friendly squad. Nip to make a cuppa and get a bit of fresh air, then come back to see we're in for Waghorn at 8 million. Remind me to cut back on the coffee 

I don’t know whether there’s truth to this rumour but FFS!

Anyone else here concerned that we need to be SELLING players.

How the hell can we carry a squad of over 30 players?

We need to sell, sell, sell (Or loan, whatever)

I can’t think a squad our size is any good for morale / motivation / wage bill

I wake up every morning and hope to check Twitter to find that we’ve found takers for a whole load of the usual suspects, I.e., Blackman, Anya, etc

If we’re signing Waghorn / Marriot, whoever, please God can we move heaven and Earth to shift some dead weight, I only now want to hear about players leaving...!

Rant over

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

We did get 11m for vydra, in all fairness i can only see this happening if Vydra has progressed.

His stats for last season are impressive but 8m is too mucn 

We haven't got £11mil for Vydra yet.

His stats are impressive for last season, but that's it. The Rangers spell doesn't hold much ground for me. If he'd had seasons like that at this level for two or three levels consecutively, then yeah maybe.

But the facts are he's 28 years old and he's hit double figures three times in his career. Once was in the Scottish second-tier, another time was nine seasons ago.

This would just seem like Blackman all over again.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I'd be genuinely quite worried if we pulled this off. I think this would blow our other bad transfers out the market.

It would make him our joint highest... I can't even think about it. I don't think he's a terrible player, by any means, but this is exactly the reason we have Blackman, Johnson & Butterfield on the books! 

His scoring record is pretty average other than some success in the Championsjp in Scotland and a decent season last time out at Ipswich....

Archived