Harry Wilson - Signed on a season long loan

DCFC1388

14 minutes ago, feisty said:

According to Alan Nixon, clause in Wilson's contract is that he has to play (same as Kent at Bristol City last year). I'm not happy if that is true.  As I said earlier, this is a transition season. We're unlikely to be gunning for promotion if we lose Vydra etc. We should develop pur own and not premier league club's players

If it's the same as Kent then it's not a clause saying he must player a certain number of games, but rather we get financial penalties should we not play him, which I think is fair enough for a club loaning out one of their top prospects

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, feisty said:

According to Alan Nixon, clause in Wilson's contract is that he has to play (same as Kent at Bristol City last year). I'm not happy if that is true.

Normally I wouldn't be happy either. But Harry Wilson scored 7 goals in 13 games for Hull last season?? If he brings that form to Derby he can have as much overtime as he likes!

21 minutes ago, feisty said:

According to Alan Nixon, clause in Wilson's contract is that he has to play (same as Kent at Bristol City last year). I'm not happy if that is true.  As I said earlier, this is a transition season. We're unlikely to be gunning for promotion if we lose Vydra etc. We should develop pur own and not premier league club's players

If you check the film on Wilson he can play on both wings. I've a hunch that Tom will play more centrally this season too so there will be ample chances for Luke Thomas to shine I'm sure. I can see Luke getting starts irrespective of any clauses and I can also see the need for plenty of early subs amongst our winger who will be asked to work harder than any other players in the team. Frank is not silly and will know what he's got at his disposal by now so let's have a little faith that he'll do what's best for Luke and the team. 

16 minutes ago, feisty said:

He may be highly regarded. But so is Luke Thomas. Why not develop him?

As yet we don't know if Thomas can make the grade, yes he's done well in the U23s and 45 minutes v League 2 Notts County in pre season, but is that enough to go into a season with him first choice? 

Wilson has been given game time at this level by Hull and shown to be more than capable with 7 goals, in 11 starts. 

Signing Wilson doesn't mean Thomas won't play at all, injuries, suspension, form, having competition would be healthy for not just Thomas but Bennett as well who sounds like he will be involved this season.

9 minutes ago, David said:

As yet we don't know if Thomas can make the grade, yes he's done well in the U23s and 45 minutes v League 2 Notts County in pre season, but is that enough to go into a season with him first choice? 

Wilson has been given game time at this level by Hull and shown to be more than capable with 7 goals, in 11 starts. 

Signing Wilson doesn't mean Thomas won't play at all, injuries, suspension, form, having competition would be healthy for not just Thomas but Bennett as well who sounds like he will be involved this season.

Exactly this ?

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How true are these clauses that folk talk about? Can loaning clubs really demand a player must play, whatever the circumstances?

I doubt it's 'whatever the circumstances'. It'll be a minimum number of games I'd suspect. Liverpool aren't going to want Harry playing all 50+ games as we'd be sending him back to them in bits if that were the case.

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

I doubt it's 'whatever the circumstances'. It'll be a minimum number of games I'd suspect. Liverpool aren't going to want Harry playing all 50+ games as we'd be sending him back to them in bits if that were the case.

If it's like Kent's loan to Bristol City it will just be about financial penalties should he not play the required number of games/minutes set by them. I doubt it's even legal to include a clause where he must play a number of games decided by the parent club

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

He will have to play a certain median percentage of games over league/ cup games, he won’t have to play every single game. 

I think it’s a fantastic bit of business, very, very highly regarded 

Exactly, and looking at how hard FL worked the lads against Notts, I think all the wingers will get plenty of minutes 

It's a great marker for us. I imagine half the championship and others were in for him, and he looks like choosing us.

Lampard must be an attractive factor for youth. He was a bit of a national icon. Whilst I can remember most managers from their playing days - Steve Bruce for one had a pretty successful career - the likes of Wilson will probably only know him as a fat underachieving manager.

1 minute ago, Rample said:

It's a great marker for us. I imagine half the championship and others were in for him, and he looks like choosing us.

Lampard must be an attractive factor for youth. He was a bit of a national icon. Whilst I can remember most managers from their playing days - Steve Bruce for one had a pretty successful career - the likes of Wilson will probably only know him as a fat underachieving manager.

What I will say is that we are the only team Liverpool have agreed to let talk to him

Archived