Most underrated band of all time

Bob The Badger

29 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Love James and the Stranglers. Got all their albums. Sorry, but have never liked UB40. Can’t dispute their musicianship, but the only thing I can imagine worse than a UB40 song is a  UB40 with Tina Turner song ?

Like I said, reggae marmite. But I stand firmly by the point that Signing Off, Present Arms (and In Dub) were strong social statements of the times. Anything past that I'm with you. FWIW - you could pretty much say the same about Tina Turner so nice call for that, her early stuff with Ike was masterful but all that stuff in the 80s was MOTR torture.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, you can't mention Billy without thinking of Kirsty. The number of songs with her on backing singing is amazing and her solo work was wonderful. She picked the track listing for the Joshua Tree plus much more, an overall rock goddess who some corrupt and crooked playboy took from us way too early.

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Of course, you can't mention Billy without thinking of Kirsty. The number of songs with her on backing singing is amazing and her solo work was wonderful. She picked the track listing for the Joshua Tree plus much more, an overall rock goddess who some corrupt and crooked playboy took from us way too early.

I never knew that about the Joshua Tree.....

Yep when Billy sings the extra version on New England and dedicates it to Kirtsy it is always one of the most emotional moments you will hear live.

34 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Honestly never even knew that she was no longer with us. Just looked it up on Wiki. Very sad ? 

8 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the greatest band ever to give you the feeling that we may not all make it out alive...

Peter Hammill was born in Ealing, west London, and moved with his family to Derby when he was 12 ( thought they had a link to Derby )

going to give you a more recent band, FOALS. Absolutely brilliant musicians, consistent with a good sound, excellent songs for the background of anything you're doing. I'm never not in the mood to listen to them. They're not my favourite band, and none of their songs are particularly my favourite songs, but as a band, they haven't recorded a bad song in my opinion, whereas my favourites have.

12 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Two bands which I love but which no one else on the planet seems to listen to, are the Virgin Prunes and the Violent Femmes. Flux are often overlooked. 

Love Flux of Pink Indians...or do you mean another flux? ...never mind...anyway for me it's got to be Crass for the most underrated band title, great albums & just so raw live.

Honoury mentions to Conflict, Icons of Filth, Gong, Hawkwind & Rudimentary Peni to.

Heidi Talbot for the most underrated solo artist.

15 minutes ago, sheeponacid said:

Love Flux of Pink Indians...or do you mean another flux.

Same band, shortened name. Love Uncarved Block. 

Your taste in music explains your politics, or vice versa. 

Rudimentary Peni a good shout too. 

Smashing Pumpkins maybe.  They are a bit of a joke these days due to Corgan, but Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are still two of my favourite albums.

I don't think this is just nostalgia on my part, even though my first ever CD was Disarm single with covers of Landslide and Dancing in the Moonlight (Thin Lizzy one). 3 incredible tunes. Mayonaise off Siamese Dream is epic and Today is still glorious.

I think they got some stick for Mellon Collie been a bit overblown, but I still loved the concept and the length of it. The opening instumental is beautiful and Tonight, Tonight is one if my only good kareoke songs. Zero & Bullet with butterfly wings are insane. Muzzle soars. Thirty-three is deep man, but 1979 is where it's at. I loved that longing for youth even when I was a youth. I haven't got a top 10/20 songs of all time, but if I did, 1979 would be in there.

The CD artwork was glorious too.

Tim Rose. Writer of Hey Joe, Morning Dew and Come Away Melinda, he has been largely overlooked. He played at the Fishpond a couple of times when he was on tour with Robert Plant, and he was one of those live performers who completely captivate you. The only other people I’ve seen with comparable passion and charisma are Mike Scott and Jack White. 

Archived