Bob The Badger

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

60s Etta James, ike turner, fontella bass

70 /80s Cocteau twins, blue orchids, Echo and the bunnymen

i stopped listening after that.....

Listening to that pile of utter pap would have put me off music for life too.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yes it was!

Although to be fair there was one on Firs Parade way before us called Hudsons. They were on the left side on your way up, we were on the right side in the building that is now The Matlock Mercury.

We moved there in 1995 or maybe 96.

Ah right, I’m thinking of Hudsons then. They had quite a good ‘alternative’ section in the 80s. 

On 15/06/2018 at 23:29, Inverurie Ram said:

@2tups give us some underrated bands. 

Martin Stephenson & The Daintees

We need to go see Martin if we can ever get him back north. How can I resist ? 

Amongst my faves (and Kurt Cobain’s) the sparse beauty of Young Marble Giants, 23Skidoo and Misty in Roots for starters from Derbyshire days.

For more recent Scottish stuff, Ballboy, People , Places, Maps and we all love the XCerts’ Aberdeen 1987 ( recent ?). 

Got a few wee hours of Zydeco, Afro Celt Sound System and Northern Soul lined up for the next trip. For when you’ve had too much apple pie.

?

On 15/06/2018 at 18:48, Bob The Badger said:

BTW @Cornwall ram were you in Cornwall then?

Our Warner rep who was a star was Phil Day. Just wondering if you were up north then and you had the same guy?

I remember when Robbie Williams first solo album came out and it was 3 for 2.

We listened to it and thought, actually this is really good in spite of Angels and over 6 months before it exploded made a killing reordering at 3 for 2.

And do you remember the Prodigy wall plaque they gave us to hang up on the wall that said. 'No we don't know when the next Prodigy album is coming out!' because so many shopes were complaining about the incessant barrage of requests.

The Fat of the Land was the 2nd best ever launch we ever had was that album - about 70 copies in the first day, but then Oasis blew that away with over 200 in a day for a small town like ours.

The came Candle in the Wind and it all went south.

My record shop days were before my decade or so in Cornwall. I worked in Nottingham for  a while and Phil was our Warners rep. Then I moved to the Derby store. Initially Phil covered Derby, but then a lad called Lee (can't remember his surname, but he was from Stoke and had a big nose) took over.

Anyone else gonna go to see Smashing Pumpkins in October. 3 of the original 4 lineup.

Only problem is thats it at Wembley Areana on a Tuesday night and tickets are a fortune. Think I'll wait for when they do a tour of small venues and just remember 1996 when I saw them before.

Archived