Most underrated band of all time

Bob The Badger

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

No way.!! That’s an awesome story. The drummer was the reason I got a tattoo...I thought that if he looked cool with one then I’m sure I would... did you ever meet them?

I did, but only in the sense of happening to be outside for a smoke at the same time, or just on the way in or out of the place. They were, are, quite a lot younger than me. Apart from Ian, who was a lot older than the others. And even he is five or so years younger than me ?

Pretty good guitarist Ian. He was in a band called Apple Mosaic before EMF. 

They used to use the biggest room, which had a stage and lighting etc. I guess the record company were paying for it. I used to use one of the smaller ones. For me it was just somewhere to make some noise without worrying about neighbours. Plus I knew the owner, so used to get the time there for next to nothing ?

5 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I got sick of it before it was released ? I used to rehearse /practice, in the room next to them in a rehearsal place in Gloucester docks! 

Doesn’t say much for the soundproofing. 

13 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

The Go-Betweens

Still get sad that Grant died. Saw them do a long live gig at the barbican about 12 years ago. Started with the 2 of them doing about 8 acoustic numbers, before the whole band came back in for another 15 or so. They released it as 'Live in London', amazing gig.

PistoldPete2
14 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Another one.... the La’s... 

Another Beatles tribute band , see also Oasis.

On 12/06/2018 at 02:43, Lambchop said:

Two bands which I love but which no one else on the planet seems to listen to, are the Virgin Prunes and the Violent Femmes. Flux are often overlooked. New Model Army produced consistently good albums with intelligent and challenging lyrics, and a sound and style which continues to develop. The The were great for the first four albums and are making a comeback. Andrew Eldritch was totally underrated as a songwriter and lyricist for the Sisters of Mercy. Richmond Fontaine are criminally underrated in this country; five star albums in the US, but you can see them over here in places like the Whitworth in front of about 80 people. Low produce sublime music, which almost no one listens to. I could go on all day...

Loved Blister In The Sun

They just came to Orlando with Echo and the Bunnymen. We were going to go until we saw tickets were $115!

23 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

This is fast becoming my favorite thread since the flag one...!

other underrated bands..

texas - before they went all poppy

the family cat

diesel Park west

hue and cry

the happy Monday’s - I know they were very famous but Shaun Ryder never got the credit he deserved for his lyrics AND his singing.

I used to have a record store in Matlock and we'd get free tickets to gigs.

I had tickets for Gomez and Texas on consecutive weekends.

Was super looking forward to Gomez as Ben Ottewell was from Matlock .Not arsed about Texas.

Gomez sucked - zero stage presence.

Texas on the other hand were incredible. Charleen Spiteri totally owned the stage better than even Madonna did.

One time this awkward, shy kid came into the shop with a demo tape that he left with us.

I'm not even sure if we ever listened to it.

We'd no idea it was Ben Ottewell as they weren't well-known even locally at that point.

Anyway, a few months later I was sat reading Music Week the trade paper and I said to Jon my partner. Can you remember the name of that band that lanky kid with glasses was in who left the demo?

'Not sure' he said.

'Was it Gomez?'

'Yeh that's it'

'F me' I said 'they just signed to Virgin through Hut for £100k!!!'

We went scrambling for the tape and never found it.

A few weeks later they were on Jools Holland at the same time as Page and Plant who then promptly picked them up to tour the west coast of the US with them. 

Ben is amazing in this performance, but when they were live they never spoke. The Ramones got away with just performing but that's about where it starts and stops.

On 14/06/2018 at 09:03, MuespachRam said:

This is fast becoming my favorite thread since the flag one...!

other underrated bands..

texas - before they went all poppy

the family cat

diesel Park west

hue and cry

the happy Monday’s - I know they were very famous but Shaun Ryder never got the credit he deserved for his lyrics AND his singing.

As already posted loved Texas live.

So Happy Mondays have that great second album 'Pill, Thrills and Bellyaches' (BTW, I really liked Bummed - very different to the 2nd one)  and then decide they want to record the 3rd album in Jamaica.

So Factory Records allow the biggest drug taking band since Motley Crue to go to an island where crack and weed are plentiful and wonder why they don't come back for 2 years and when they do the album is total poo - pmsl!

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I used to have a record store in Matlock and we'd get free tickets to gigs.

I had tickets for Gomez and Texas on consecutive weekends.

Was super looking forward to Gomez as Ben Ottewell was from Matlock .Not arsed about Texas.

Gomez sucked - zero stage presence.

Texas on the other hand were incredible. Charleen Spiteri totally owned the stage better than even Madonna did.

One time this awkward, shy kid came into the shop with a demo tape that he left with us.

I'm not even sure if we ever listened to it.

We'd no idea it was Ben Ottewell as they weren't well-known even locally at that point.

Anyway, a few months later I was sat reading Music Week the trade paper and I said to Jon my partner. Can you remember the name of that band that lanky kid with glasses was in who left the demo?

'Not sure' he said.

'Was it Gomez?'

'Yeh that's it'

'F me' I said 'they just signed to Virgin through Hut for £100k!!!'

We went scrambling for the tape and never found it.

A few weeks later they were on Jools Holland at the same time as Page and Plant who then promptly picked them up to tour the west coast of the US with them. 

Ben is amazing in this performance, but when they were live they never spoke. The Ramones got away with just performing but that's about where it starts and stops.

I too managed a record shop. Amazing how many free LPs, T-shirts and gig tickets a few numbers typed into a Gallup machine could earn you.

14 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I too managed a record shop. Amazing how many free LPs, T-shirts and gig tickets a few numbers typed into a Gallup machine could earn you.

PMSL - we'd have gone broke without our Gallup machine.

The Warner Rep alone kept food on my table with his free poo!

BTW @Cornwall ram were you in Cornwall then?

Our Warner rep who was a star was Phil Day. Just wondering if you were up north then and you had the same guy?

I remember when Robbie Williams first solo album came out and it was 3 for 2.

We listened to it and thought, actually this is really good in spite of Angels and over 6 months before it exploded made a killing reordering at 3 for 2.

And do you remember the Prodigy wall plaque they gave us to hang up on the wall that said. 'No we don't know when the next Prodigy album is coming out!' because so many shopes were complaining about the incessant barrage of requests.

The Fat of the Land was the 2nd best ever launch we ever had was that album - about 70 copies in the first day, but then Oasis blew that away with over 200 in a day for a small town like ours.

The came Candle in the Wind and it all went south.

Archived