Snake City watch

Zag zig

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

I can think of a fair few reasons to add to that:

Wanted a hard working team and so decided to loan out Bryson to a fellow Championship club

Sold Ince (maybe Ince wanted to leave, but regardless, selling our best player isn't making me like him any more)

Sold Russell (Russell wanted to leave, but I still don't agree with the decision to cash in for a couple of hundred thousand and then not properly replace him)

Signed numerous older players which basically blocked the pathway for youngsters

After the Sunderland loss he seemed to target specific players for criticism, one being Keogh who was dropped and if I remember correctly was stripped of the captaincy

Thorne was dropped after the same game, was then said to be injured and would miss a game or 2 tops, but he wasn't seen again and Rowett never mentioned him

Loaned in a very talented player in Palmer, but then continued to leave him on the bench despite our attacking players being very poor

The awful style of football he had us playing

And of course the most obvious reason being he basically claimed this was his dream job and he loved it here, got a nice new deal and then left just 6 months later

They probably come across as petty reasons to dislike him, but that's just stuff that comes to mind when I think of why I didn't like him much

You forgot to mention;

He said “fink” instead of “think” 

He squinted his eyes lot 

He wore silly trainers 

He loaned Chris Martin out......oh wait a minute, Frank’s done that as well.....? Errrrm.......

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The Hughes sale aside, I'm struggling to understand the hatred for Rowett.

He took us to the play offs. Improved Vydra beyond recognition, enabling us to cash in on him this summer (which probably made up for the Hughes fee).

His permanent signings on the whole were pretty good value for money.

Most people did not like his brand of football and wanted him gone anyway, and we supposedly got £2m compensation for it.

One could argue that our squad has been challenging for promotion for years now. It was not Rowett who helped us get into the playoffs. One can make the argument that it was Rowett's stupidity in the second leg at Craven Cottage which cost us promotion. A better manager would have known parking the bus at Craven Cottage against a side like Fulham wouldn't work. Also his talk of youth and then having a side whose average age was closer to 30. 

His interviews were very annoying. People say he is 'honest', I think he is just not a smart man so he speaks whatever comes to his mind. There are basically no filters with him and what is translated as 'honest' is more just 'uneducated'. 

I too was reading something in the Stoke City forums where a poster wrote how his insecurities come from the fact that he was an average footballer. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it, but his style of play translated into his interviews. He is very similar to Nigel Clough in his abilities to blame the whole world and include himself. I am just glad he is gone and I was really surprised Stoke would be so stupid to come asking for him. 

13 hours ago, SilentRam said:

One could argue that our squad has been challenging for promotion for years now. It was not Rowett who helped us get into the playoffs. One can make the argument that it was Rowett's stupidity in the second leg at Craven Cottage which cost us promotion. A better manager would have known parking the bus at Craven Cottage against a side like Fulham wouldn't work. Also his talk of youth and then having a side whose average age was closer to 30. 

His interviews were very annoying. People say he is 'honest', I think he is just not a smart man so he speaks whatever comes to his mind. There are basically no filters with him and what is translated as 'honest' is more just 'uneducated'. 

I too was reading something in the Stoke City forums where a poster wrote how his insecurities come from the fact that he was an average footballer. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it, but his style of play translated into his interviews. He is very similar to Nigel Clough in his abilities to blame the whole world and include himself. I am just glad he is gone and I was really surprised Stoke would be so stupid to come asking for him. 

If it is the case that he’s a bit insecure about his level as a player then being replaced by Frank Lampard can’t help 

18 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The Hughes sale aside, I'm struggling to understand the hatred for Rowett.

He took us to the play offs. Improved Vydra beyond recognition, enabling us to cash in on him this summer (which probably made up for the Hughes fee).

His permanent signings on the whole were pretty good value for money.

Most people did not like his brand of football and wanted him gone anyway, and we supposedly got £2m compensation for it.

And then dropped him when we needed him most.  Who would drop the league's top scorer in the play-offs?  Only a dreadfully negative manager terrified his team might actually play football.  Couldn't leave fast enough for my liking, I'm delighted he was disloyal, and the £2 million was just a sweet unexpected bonus. 

This notion of Rowett getting Vydra playing well is balls.

Vydra is just a good player in certain systems. Rowett's formation and style suited Vydra but I do not attribute his performances to Rowett. Rowett didn't change his philosophy or style to suit Vydra. He's played the same way at every club, he just happened to have a player here who benefited hugely.

To further cement how little GR had to do with Vydra, every time Vydra's performance dipped even slightly he was immediately dropped.

If you have a player who performs above and beyond in the system you set up, you don't drop him. You just don't.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I bet Ipswich are pleased he left, they’re going from strength to strength. 

This is their seventeenth consecutive season in the Championship… they’re probably at the stage in which a relegation would bring a bit of excitement 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

This is their seventeenth consecutive season in the Championship… they’re probably at the stage in which a relegation would bring a bit of excitement 

Plus if they get relegated then we get the number one spot for current most consecutive seasons in the Championship (unless promoted) joint with Forest (yes they have actually managed to stay out of league one that long.)

13 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Plus if they get relegated then we get the number one spot for current most consecutive seasons in the Championship (unless promoted) joint with Forest (yes they have actually managed to stay out of league one that long.)

That’s a great stat. 

Makes me realise. It’s been a bit poo being in the championship so long, but at least we’ve had some considerable excitement along the way. As have Forest, to be fair. 

It must be dire being an Ipswich fan. That’s why they got rid of mick, cos at least a relegation battle is something to get excited about. 

5 hours ago, SaintRam said:

This notion of Rowett getting Vydra playing well is balls.

Vydra is just a good player in certain systems. Rowett's formation and style suited Vydra but I do not attribute his performances to Rowett. Rowett didn't change his philosophy or style to suit Vydra. He's played the same way at every club, he just happened to have a player here who benefited hugely.

To further cement how little GR had to do with Vydra, every time Vydra's performance dipped even slightly he was immediately dropped.

If you have a player who performs above and beyond in the system you set up, you don't drop him. You just don't.

Some strange notions there for me.

Good performances aren't attributable to the manager, then surely bad performances shouldnt be either?

Good players should not be dropped no matter how they play?

Basically then no point having a manager. Just get a consultant to tell you the best 11 players and play them every week.

No matter what you think of Rowett or his brand of football, he got a player, who was a complete mis-fit  under the previous 2 managers, to be the top scorer in the division. Ignoring that feat is doing him a dis-service in my opinion.

21 hours ago, SilentRam said:

I’m not going to disagree with any of that but in the same manner as G star was told he heard he didn’t pay the academy any attention, I also heard from one of his best mates outside of football, that he was becoming disillusioned with football in general!

Imagine my surprise when he slithered off to Stoke. Then again the same person told me, he did so to get the maximimum financial security he could, as I don’t think he sees himself long in the game. So on that basis, he might be uneducated but I’d say he’s more than smart. Smart enough in order to create the persona he’s a talented manager too, no accounting for Stokes judgement mind.

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Some strange notions there for me.

Good performances aren't attributable to the manager, then surely bad performances shouldnt be either?

Good players should not be dropped no matter how they play?

Basically then no point having a manager. Just get a consultant to tell you the best 11 players and play them every week.

No matter what you think of Rowett or his brand of football, he got a player, who was a complete mis-fit  under the previous 2 managers, to be the top scorer in the division. Ignoring that feat is doing him a dis-service in my opinion.

I don't get behind "he got X playing well" or "X is playing badly because of him" narratives for any manager, so that's irrelevant. I think individual performances are down to the player. Managers are responsible for how the players work together.

Also, Vydra didn't really have any bad or good games last season. All he did was score goals. If he didn't score, he looked bad. if he scored, he looked good. But his overall contribution was largely the same. Dropping him because he didn't score is just being Captain ducking Hindsight. There's no point dropping him for it, that's exactly how he plays every game, its not going to change how he plays later. That's what was so imbecilic about it. 

8 hours ago, WystonRam said:

My dislike for him is purely and simply his change from “this was always the club i wanted to manage, kids born here, we live here etc...rhetoric” to “ underestimating how it affected the family being manager” this change was all in less than 5 months. ? 

Not sure why you find this so hard to believe, you only need to look how the fans attitudes changed to him over the same period of time to see why his stance may have changed.

If I remember correctly, we had an awful start to the season and there were plenty calling for his head by the end of September. We then go on a good run and he's flavour of the month again. The post Xmas collapse follows and by now the fans are venomous and even when we do win matches, Rowett sometimes mentions about the fans and not knowing what they want.

As you mentioned, his son is a season ticket holder and no doubt would report home to his dad how the crowd were reacting. At the end of the day they are only human no matter how much they are being paid or how long they have lived here. Maybe he just decided the time was right to get out of Derby before it became a place he despised and I can't really blame him if that was his reasoning because I'm sure he also has some very happy memories of the place.

Archived