Snake City watch

Zag zig

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hughes sale aside, I'm struggling to understand the hatred for Rowett.

He took us to the play offs. Improved Vydra beyond recognition, enabling us to cash in on him this summer (which probably made up for the Hughes fee).

His permanent signings on the whole were pretty good value for money.

Most people did not like his brand of football and wanted him gone anyway, and we supposedly got £2m compensation for it.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

He took us to the play offs. Improved Vydra beyond recognition, enabling us to cash in on him this summer (which probably made up for the Hughes fee).

Most people did not like his brand of football and wanted him gone anyway, and we supposedly got £2m compensation for it.

I agree, i backed him mostly although i lost some respect when he threw keogh and Thorne under the bus after the Sunderland game. 

I still think at times we were exciting on the break under rowett.

That said its quite funny still so far this season.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I felt the same. But now I get it.

It’s the wanting to be known as a progressive, modern coach, when really he’s just a shithouse merchant with a picture of Tony Pulis on his wall (probably).

It’s taking a 1-0 lead to craven cottage, then completely chickening out with terrible negative tactics - it was clear from the first minute that we were never going to hold on to that lead, and were never going to score.

It’s saying that derby was his dream job, then pissing off at the first sniff of something supposedly better (don’t forget he was offered the stoke job earlier in the season, didn’t want to have a relegation on his cv, but used it as leverage to get a better deal at derby, then was happy to take on the job when it seemed like an easier route to getting a promotion on his cv. Not as easy as he thought. He’s getting his commupence now). 

Oh, and it’s also just a bit funny. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I felt the same. But now I get it.

It’s the wanting to be known as a progressive, modern coach, when really he’s just a shithouse merchant with a picture of Tony Pulis on his wall (probably).

It’s taking a 1-0 lead to craven cottage, then completely chickening out with terrible negative tactics - it was clear from the first minute that we were never going to hold on to that lead, and were never going to score.

It’s saying that derby was his dream job, then pissing off at the first sniff of something supposedly better (don’t forget he was offered the stoke job earlier in the season, didn’t want to have a relegation on his cv, but used it as leverage to get a better deal at derby, then was happy to take on the job when it seemed like an easier route to getting a promotion on his cv. Not as easy as he thought. He’s getting his commupence now). 

Oh, and it’s also just a bit funny. 

But it was the media building him up as that, not himself. 

I genuinely believe it was his dream job but I also believe from pretty early on he realised the fans hadnt really taken to him.

There were things I didn't like about Rowett, mainly the fact that he didn't really act upon what he was saying. However I also remember him being a great player in one of the best Derby teams in my lifetime.

Really just don't understand the level of hatred.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's exactly right and perfectly logical.

Yet I still hate him.

Vydra is the most exciting player I’ve seen in a Derby Shirt. (I’ve been going since 2005) I enjoyed watching him more than Hughes. I attribute Gary to giving him a chance. Even though I saw glimpses of what he could do in the first season. 

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

For me it's that 'orrible gravelly voice. It wasn't like that when he first came. As the season dragged on his throat got dryer and dryer. 

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not certain, but I think it's because he's a banker.

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I can think of a fair few reasons to add to that:

Wanted a hard working team and so decided to loan out Bryson to a fellow Championship club

Sold Ince (maybe Ince wanted to leave, but regardless, selling our best player isn't making me like him any more)

Sold Russell (Russell wanted to leave, but I still don't agree with the decision to cash in for a couple of hundred thousand and then not properly replace him)

Signed numerous older players which basically blocked the pathway for youngsters

After the Sunderland loss he seemed to target specific players for criticism, one being Keogh who was dropped and if I remember correctly was stripped of the captaincy

Thorne was dropped after the same game, was then said to be injured and would miss a game or 2 tops, but he wasn't seen again and Rowett never mentioned him

Loaned in a very talented player in Palmer, but then continued to leave him on the bench despite our attacking players being very poor

The awful style of football he had us playing

And of course the most obvious reason being he basically claimed this was his dream job and he loved it here, got a nice new deal and then left just 6 months later

They probably come across as petty reasons to dislike him, but that's just stuff that comes to mind when I think of why I didn't like him much

Rowett didn’t make Vydra a good player; he was already a good one.

He did help him play better for us.

Im not going to boo Rowett if he manages to return here with his team, I’m just glad he’s not our manager.

Yesterday encapsulated perfectly the main (but not the only) reason why.

1 minute ago, RIMBAUD said:

Rowett didn’t make Vydra a good player; he was already a good one.

He did help him play better for us.

Im not going to boo Rowett if he manages to return here with his team, I’m just glad he’s not our manager.

Yesterday encapsulated perfectly the main (but not the only) reason why.

Yep that's pretty much where I am at too

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Wanted a hard working team and so decided to loan out Bryson to a fellow Championship club

Sold Ince (maybe Ince wanted to leave, but regardless, selling our best player isn't making me like him any more)

Sold Russell (Russell wanted to leave, but I still don't agree with the decision to cash in for a couple of hundred thousand and then not properly replace him)

Signed numerous older players which basically blocked the pathway for youngsters

After the Sunderland loss he seemed to target specific players for criticism, one being Keogh who was dropped and if I remember correctly was stripped of the captaincy

Thorne was dropped after the same game, was then said to be injured and would miss a game or 2 tops, but he wasn't seen again and Rowett never mentioned him

Loaned in a very talented player in Palmer, but then continued to leave him on the bench despite our attacking players being very poor

And of course the most obvious reason being he basically claimed this was his dream job and he loved it here, got a nice new deal and then left just 6 months later

They probably come across as petty reasons to dislike him, but that's just stuff that comes to mind when I think of why I didn't like him much

But what was GR asked to do by MM?

It was quite notable that all the talk of 'The Derby Way' and promoting youth seemed to fall by the wayside.

It could easily be argued that FL has loaned other teams players and sent our own youth out on loan, hasn't that blocked the way for many of our youngsters?

9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Said one thing and did another .

Well up his own arse ,blamed everyone but himself .

Would put defenders on to protect a two nil deficit.

Not play the Championships top scorer in the play off second leg.

etc etc  

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really just don't understand the level of hatred.

It's the feeling of falseness I get from him mainly, and others have given plenty of evidence for that. 

He's arrogant, thinks he's much better than he is, and blames anyone and anything else for his shortcomings. 

I don't hate him, it's just satisfying seeing him come unstuck and be brought down to size. 

I have no idea whether he genuinely believes his own hype, or if he consciously sets out to give a false impression. Either way, he deserves the ridicule imo. 

20 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

For all his faults I can't hate him for that, it's the best thing he ever did whilst Derby manager.

.That he was stupid enough to sign him for Stoke and Ince was stupid enough to go there still makes me chuckle.

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But what was GR asked to do by MM?

It was quite notable that all the talk of 'The Derby Way' and promoting youth seemed to fall by the wayside.

It could easily be argued that FL has loaned other teams players and sent our own youth out on loan, hasn't that blocked the way for many of our youngsters?

In a few months he's probably given more first team action to our academy players than Rowett did in his whole time here. I'm disappointed he chose to loan out Lowe and sign Malone, but other than that I'm very happy with how Frank is doing with the youngsters. Whereas if Rowett was still here, we'd have probably signed McClean, sold Bennett and then Lowe and Bogle would probably struggle to get a chance to train with the first team, never mind actually play in it

30 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

In a few months he's probably given more first team action to our academy players than Rowett did in his whole time here. I'm disappointed he chose to loan out Lowe and sign Malone, but other than that I'm very happy with how Frank is doing with the youngsters. Whereas if Rowett was still here, we'd have probably signed McClean, sold Bennett and then Lowe and Bogle would probably struggle to get a chance to train with the first team, never mind actually play in it

Yes, I was told by a reliable source that he had absolutely sod all to do with the academy. 

But once again MM certainly seemed to change his stance on having youth promoted.

Archived