Snake City watch

Zag zig

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't sack Rowett, he gave him a new contract. It felt that Mac2 was never a happy choice for Mel.

He gave Rowett a new contract when we were 2nd in the league and coming off some decent results over the festive period.

By the time the 1-4 against Sunderland came around loads on here were wanting him sacked.

Rowett never had universal support at Derby. Mel would have been fully aware of that, and all it would take was another poor run of form at the start of this season and he would have been chopped, just like Clement and Mac ll. 

And going back Rowett’s form here since Feb onwards, we weren’t playing like a top six team and he must have known funds were limited in the summer without selling Vydra or one or two more.

Why would Rowett have stuck around here when Stoke came calling? He would have been a fool to stay here when he never had full backing, money was tight and he had a trigger-happy boss.

Coates at Stoke on the other hand generally gives his managers time. They had the biggest budget in the league and a squad with top-level experience. It was a no-brainer.

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Did you not read the forum after that defeat at Brighton? There were loads on here calling for him to go.

I don't remember it as a majority though, by any means.

With hindsight, the way he behaved during that match makes me think he knew the axe was falling regardless.

2 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

The 2nd season is the one that matters - another improvement in playing style, better & younger players (and note many of the "older" & high earners will be out of contract), with an absolute requirement of the play-offs, with a possibility of promotion.

I think this would be a bit unfair, to be honest. 

Come next season we could well be without all three scorers from Saturday, both assisters and our best defender on the day to boot! 

I’d say a maintenance of this season’s performance with permanents replacing the loans and out of contract players would be more realistic. 

59 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Did you not read the forum after that defeat at Brighton? There were loads on here calling for him to go.

This though is where you become detached living in Mexico, the forum is made up of keyboard warriors who voice their opinion quite vocally. For me, I was always in a minority of people who went to the match, most were pro Rowett supporters, who feel a little bit betrayed having supported him to the hilt.

Regarding your earlier post around Hughes, you have a good point in selling him as he wasn’t hisbsort of player, however for me he sold him for a pittance, he could have played him more at the back end of the season, waited until after the U21s, and not got rid of him so cheap. MM May to be blame, however if GR told him that Hughes would never regain full fitness or reach the levels he used to, then there may be other reasons behind it.

On a side note, met Sam Rush at the weekend, very pleasant person.

7 hours ago, brady1993 said:

To be honest I think a lot of fans could have done. It's the single most incompetent managerial displays I've ever seen and I'm convinced we would have been at a high risk of relegation had he not been sacked.

From this, I think that we can assume that you weren't around during the reign of Tommy bleedin' Docherty. We've had a few duff managers over the years, and Pearson is one such. But the destruction that Docherty wrought bordered on wanton vandalism. His incompetence was matched only by his egotistical self-belief.

1 hour ago, Grimbeard said:

From this, I think that we can assume that you weren't around during the reign of Tommy bleedin' Docherty. We've had a few duff managers over the years, and Pearson is one such. But the destruction that Docherty wrought bordered on wanton vandalism. His incompetence was matched only by his egotistical self-belief.

Who could forget toddy being replaced by vic moreland and Colin boulton by David mckellar to name but 2. ....

On 23/09/2018 at 22:33, SilentRam said:

One could argue that our squad has been challenging for promotion for years now. It was not Rowett who helped us get into the playoffs. One can make the argument that it was Rowett's stupidity in the second leg at Craven Cottage which cost us promotion. A better manager would have known parking the bus at Craven Cottage against a side like Fulham wouldn't work. Also his talk of youth and then having a side whose average age was closer to 30. 

His interviews were very annoying. People say he is 'honest', I think he is just not a smart man so he speaks whatever comes to his mind. There are basically no filters with him and what is translated as 'honest' is more just 'uneducated'. 

I too was reading something in the Stoke City forums where a poster wrote how his insecurities come from the fact that he was an average footballer. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it, but his style of play translated into his interviews. He is very similar to Nigel Clough in his abilities to blame the whole world and include himself. I am just glad he is gone and I was really surprised Stoke would be so stupid to come asking for him. 

Rowettt admits what I wrote about earlier. No filter and speaks what is on his mind. Probably didn't go down well with the Stoke players. 

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Hmm. 2-2 now.  Don't I feel silly.

I see what they’ve done there. They’ve realised they’re not quite good enough to give everyone a 3 goal headstart, so they’re giving them a 2 goal headstart instead. 

Were not quite so cocky, we only give a 1 goal headstart.

If they didn’t take the piss and give away headstarts, they might do quite well. A bit like us in that respect. 

Archived