Unpopular opinions: Football but not DCFC

IlsonDerby

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/07/2018 at 11:37, Broderick said:

There's nothing wrong with the word soccer. It's all about the context of the country you're in. 

Agreed. Both terms are just shortenings of Association Football. Neither are really the correct name. There were at the time, and still are, more sports with football in the name.

Interchangeable. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Agreed. Both terms are just shortenings of Association Football. Neither are really the correct name. There were at the time, and still are, more sports with football in the name.

Interchangeable. 

It's football.

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The El Classico match is one of the worst matches to watch in mainstream football. Histrionics, melodrama and pettiness. Occasionally a football match breaks out.

The way it's marketed is like it's a brilliant spectacle, when it isn't. 

It's the hype surrounding it though. How can you not love the brilliant sporting spectacle that is a 12 year old Lionel Messi fanboy from Qatar denouncing Real as fascists for something that happened 75 years before he was born?

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The El Classico match is one of the worst matches to watch in mainstream football. Histrionics, melodrama and pettiness. Occasionally a football match breaks out.

The way it's marketed is like it's a brilliant spectacle, when it isn't. 

Well you have a point no doubt, but on the other hand Real Madrid 2-6 Barcelona was probably the best performance I've seen from any football team ever.  Unbelievable stuff.  When Mourinho first took over Real and got stuffed 5-0 at Barca was quite a spectacle too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tweets like this from @RamsPolls are laced with ******** and snobbery of the highest order. We are where we are because, in the past, we have been poo when we needed to be good. Bournemouth and Cardiff are where they are because, in the past, they have been good when they needed to be good. You don’t get points for what happened in the 1970s and for your ducking stadium capacity.

On 23/07/2018 at 16:21, Highgate said:

Well you have a point no doubt, but on the other hand Real Madrid 2-6 Barcelona was probably the best performance I've seen from any football team ever.  Unbelievable stuff.  When Mourinho first took over Real and got stuffed 5-0 at Barca was quite a spectacle too. 

Apparently Scotland invented the el classico

On 12/08/2018 at 10:03, BurtonRam7 said:

Tweets like this from @RamsPolls are laced with ******** and snobbery of the highest order. We are where we are because, in the past, we have been poo when we needed to be good. Bournemouth and Cardiff are where they are because, in the past, they have been good when they needed to be good. You don’t get points for what happened in the 1970s and for your ducking stadium capacity.

Followed by;

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Broderick said:

Women's football isn't that bad. The slower pace of the game lets me analyze the game better. 

Sorry, don't agree. Without going down that 'it's non-League standard at best' I will just say it really lacks technical ability to warrant the exposure it receives. I just find myself getting rather frustrated watching it at the misses, mistakes and inability to read the game as well. I know, someone's going to post a video of some mazey run past eight defenders as an example to the contrary but generally that's how I feel.

It also lacks the attendances. Last week Chelsea played Man City and it was the live commentary on Sat afternoon. Attendance at the game - less than 3,000. Without wanting to sound like a total dinosaur, I have no problem at all with there being women's teams for existing clubs, I have no issue with it being available to watch and listen to via things like iPlayer. But let it find it's level without patronising it as the new coming. For example, there was a goal touted by BBC as potential goal of the season a few weeks back. If you watch it then it is good, no doubt, but to make such a claim belittles and shows up for what it is the promotion of the womens game.

Slightly off topic from the point you made - apologies - but still.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45137444

58 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

If you watch it then it is good, no doubt, but to make such a claim belittles and shows up for what it is the promotion of the womens game

You say that as if the promotion of the women's game is a bad thing. You also compare it with the men's game as if they have had the same input and development since day one, and women have just failed to make the grade because of some inherent inferiority, particularly in your focus on technical ability. 

Given the vast inequality of opportunity for girls to get into the game, and receive the level of training and support that boys get, wouldn't you think that promoting the women's game is actually a good thing? To raise the profile and encourage more girls to get involved, and improve the opportunities for, and quality of, training? Or should we just write it off, because it doesn't currently satisfy your requirements for entertainment?

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

You say that as if the promotion of the women's game is a bad thing. You also compare it with the men's game as if they have had the same input and development since day one, and women have just failed to make the grade because of some inherent inferiority, particularly in your focus on technical ability. 

Given the vast inequality of opportunity for girls to get into the game, and receive the level of training and support that boys get, wouldn't you think that promoting the women's game is actually a good thing? To raise the profile and encourage more girls to get involved, and improve the opportunities for, and quality of, training? Or should we just write it off, because it doesn't currently satisfy your requirements for entertainment?

No I don't say promotion of the women's game is a bad thing - I say it because it is a disproportionate thing. If you read my note I said I have no problem with women's football being promoted, I just don't think it serves the game well to over index it. It errs on positive discrimination for me.

Regarding inherent inferiority, you are clearly trying to make a point that doesn't exist. At not time, in no way have I suggested that women are somehow 'inherently inferior' though I do feel, and you make the point yourself, that the women's game has a long way to go before it is of the same standard as the men's game. I don't say that means we should ban it or never talk of it, just that it should be fairly represented. At the moment I feel it is not, it is over represented and while there are bigger issues in the world I feel it would stand more chance of long term credibility if it wasn't.

As for the game itself, I don't enjoy watching it, in the same way that others do. Your choice, my choice - end of.

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I just don't think it serves the game well to over index it. It errs on positive discrimination for me.

So how do you think we are going to improve opportunities and standards without raising the profile, exactly? That's precisely what positive discrimination is, an attempt to redress an imbalance. That doesn't detract from the men's game in any way, so your objection to having to see women's football mentioned when you have no interest in it is petulant in the extreme; half the population should be denied a proper chance to get into football so that you don't have to scroll past one more thing on a listing? That's baalocks, mate!

Archived