Unpopular opinions: Football but not DCFC

IlsonDerby

5 hours ago, Broderick said:

Expanding the world cup was a great idea. The world cup always felt more like a global gathering than a display of the best football on the planet. Plus, it seems that football gains in popularity whenever a country qualifies for a world cup for the first time. USA and Japan are good examples of this. If Fifa wants to increase the popularity of the game worldwide, this would be a good way to do it. 

Why though? Isn't it already the case that even with the current format, not all teams are adequate enough to be there. See Panama. Why do we need more of these teams? All it will do is extend the world cup needlessly with more rubbish teams.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/06/2018 at 19:11, Rample said:

Agree on 2 or 3 

Jadon Sancho may have more skill/technique than some of England's current squad but after 7 top flight starts he wasn't ready for this tournament. I hope he can break through before 2020 but have a feeling Lookman will be ahead of him (and both are behind Rashford etc.) I give it 3 years and if he doesn't get recognised by us he'll elect to play for Trinidad & Tobago.

John Terry was massively overrated - another example of how average players in the right place at the right time can achieve great success.

Ledley King was quality, shame about the injuries.

Can't say Hargreaves or Carrick were spectacular but surely balance called for one of their (or Parker's) inclusion.

Gazza wasn't overrated, just wasted talent, take the bravado away and he could do things few others could.  

Glenn Hoddle however is possibly the best player of my lifetime, and would have had a shout of being a quality England manager if he didn't get lynched by the press.  Not to mention he could have rivalled the lead singer of most 80's pop groups.

Really intelligent player, his passing was sublime and effortless, the distance and weight usually perfect for their target.  Great touch, exquisite finisher, and no-one could fire off a volley like him.   

Lynched by the press!? The dckhead decides to go on a mad one about disabled people paying for crimes in their previous lives whilst in one of the most prominent roles in world sport, is rightfully hammered for it, rightfully sacked for it and you’re suggesting it was a lynch job... Jesus wept man.

@Andicis I would point to Chelsea signing Shevchenko as the water shed moment in terms of eye watering transfer fees.

would also point to Manu signing Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson for a combined £50m ish as being another moment that tipped the scale irreversibly towards huge spending.

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

@Andicis I would point to Chelsea signing Shevchenko as the water shed moment in terms of eye watering transfer fees.

I agree with you. I also see City and Robinho as one of the turning points as well for the spending in football to increase.

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I agree with you. I also see City and Robinho as one of the turning points as well for the spending in football to increase.

City signing a 24-year-old Robinho in 2008 for £30m was no different to Man Utd signing a 26-year-old Veron for £25m in 2001. Due to inflation, they’re exactly the same price, yet for City they bought a player who was 2 years younger and arguably universally more recognised.

Shevchenko for £30m in 2006, when he was 27, was a bigger one but still not the biggest at the time. He was afterall a world class striker supposedly heading into his prime.

I think the Torres one was the worst of the lot as everyone could see he wasn’t the same player and £50m was ridiculous.

But Man Utd signing Rio Ferdinand, a defender, for £30m back in 2001 or whatever really started it for me. But he was actually worth it when taking into account his success and longevity.

18 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Lynched by the press!? The dckhead decides to go on a mad one about disabled people paying for crimes in their previous lives whilst in one of the most prominent roles in world sport, is rightfully hammered for it, rightfully sacked for it and you’re suggesting it was a lynch job... Jesus wept man.

It was massively blown up by the British press at a time when they looked to stick the knife in to every national team manager. No, maybe he shouldn't have said it, and I think it was twisted slightly but it was a personal opinion based on his religion. People in football have said and done far worse and kept their jobs. People in other such major fields as politics consistently do worse with no repercussions. Oh well, the thread is unpopular opinions. Lol. 

2 hours ago, Rample said:

It was massively blown up by the British press at a time when they looked to stick the knife in to every national team manager. No, maybe he shouldn't have said it, and I think it was twisted slightly but it was a personal opinion based on his religion. People in football have said and done far worse and kept their jobs. People in other such major fields as politics consistently do worse with no repercussions. Oh well, the thread is unpopular opinions. Lol. 

'un'popular opinion: Religion gives you no right to hold abhorrent, ignorant views and shouldn't be used as a shield for saying and thinking quite vile things based on zero evidence. 

19 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

'un'popular opinion: Religion gives you no right to hold abhorrent, ignorant views and shouldn't be used as a shield for saying and thinking quite vile things based on zero evidence. 

To be honest, I don't think he held vile indefensible views and used religion to try to justify them, i think he just didn't really understand the belief system he claimed to be following and made an even worse hash of trying to explain it. I remember at the time thinking he doesn't understand what he's talking about and surely he doesn't mean that.. oh wait...that's what he actually said... idiot.

There's quite a few about with horrible views who do use religion to justify them, so I like the general point. Which always strikes me as weird when pretty much all the religions boil down to live a good life and be kind to your fellow man.

3 minutes ago, David said:

It is, or are all those it’s coming home tongues in cheeks?

When ever I've said it's coming home it's 100% tongue in cheek, I can't speak for others, but those football twitter accounts are 100% joking about it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I guess this is DCFC related now technically but my opinion comes from a non DCFC related time...

Frank Lampard wasn't that good a footballer....not as good as Gerrard (who wasn't that good after about 26 years old)

Lampard was luckier in that he was in a much better side. I'd have picked Gerrard out of that pair every day of the week.

Hopefully though, Frank will be the much better Manager of the two....

Archived