Unpopular opinions: Football but not DCFC

IlsonDerby

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:22, Highgate said:

Football will only 'come home' when Scotland when the World Cup. 

Scotland were the first international team to play a version of the sport that we would recognize as football today.

Yeah, I know this means the world will probably have to wait a long time for football to really come home, but you never know, it could happen! 

How can Scotland be the first international football team. Surely they had to play someone else.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
1 hour ago, ramit said:

A player being substituted has 30 seconds to get off the field.  Failure to do so produces a red card.

Should be a time limit. Problem is there will have to be allowances if a player is injured, so all they will do is feign injury.

27 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Should be a time limit. Problem is there will have to be allowances if a player is injured, so all they will do is feign injury.

Damn it, we need a Star Trek portable medical scanner, then we can introduce 6 month bans for feigning injury.  Positively rubbing my hands together in anticipation of such a device

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, ramit said:

Damn it, we need a Star Trek portable medical scanner, then we can introduce 6 month bans for feigning injury.  Positively rubbing my hands together in anticipation of such a device

Nah..just introduce a rule at 30 seconds. Allow longer for injuries but introduce a rule that if a player claims injury and takes longer than 30 seconds they have to miss at least one game to recover from said injury.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Nah..just introduce a rule at 30 seconds. Allow longer for injuries but introduce a rule that if a player claims injury and takes longer than 30 seconds they have to miss at least one game to recover from said injury.

So if it's the last game of the season, the player will miss the first game of the following season?  Sounds good to me ?

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, ramit said:

So if it's the last game of the season, the player will miss the first game of the following season?  Sounds good to me ?

Rules are rules. 

Maybe if they have consequences for feigning injury etc they might think twice 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Why have we still got a thread for a player who left 6 months ago?

Why not? We sing about steve bloomer and he left years ago.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

Because Steve Bloomer was a great. Enough said.

It was tongue in cheek.

8 hours ago, sage said:

How can Scotland be the first international football team. Surely they had to play someone else.

The team they played in 1872 was obviously England.  But before the match the teams had to decide on the agreed rules for the game. The rules that the England team proposed included being allowed to hack opponents to the floor and a limited amount of handling for the outfield players.  The Scotland team proposed playing by rules that are more familiar to us now as football.  They were also were the team that figured out that it might be useful if teammates passed the ball to one another..apparently that hadn't occurred to the England players at the time. That's why I think Scotland can be considered to be the first genuine international football team.  Incidentally both team wore hats as nobody had figured out that heading the ball might be useful, but then considering the footballs they used in those days, maybe that's hardly surprising.

Also there it seems to be a long history of a football in Scotland stretching back to medieval times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-15348386

6 hours ago, Highgate said:

The team they played in 1872 was obviously England.  But before the match the teams had to decide on the agreed rules for the game. The rules that the England team proposed included being allowed to hack opponents to the floor and a limited amount of handling for the outfield players.  The Scotland team proposed playing by rules that are more familiar to us now as football.  They were also were the team that figured out that it might be useful if teammates passed the ball to one another..apparently that hadn't occurred to the England players at the time. That's why I think Scotland can be considered to be the first genuine international football team.  Incidentally both team wore hats as nobody had figured out that heading the ball might be useful, but then considering the footballs they used in those days, maybe that's hardly surprising.

Also there it seems to be a long history of a football in Scotland stretching back to medieval times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-15348386

But the rules of association football were laid down in 1863?

18 hours ago, ramit said:

A player being substituted has 30 seconds to get off the field.  Failure to do so produces a red card.

30 seconds is a long time (or so I tell my Mrs...). 

Genuinely think that unless they're being subbed due to injury it should take 15 seconds maximum. These are athletes! 

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

30 seconds is a long time (or so I tell my Mrs...). 

Genuinely think that unless they're being subbed due to injury it should take 15 seconds maximum. These are athletes! 

Athletes yes, but they can turn blind and deaf when being subbed.  Who, me being subbed?  Oh okay then, but let me hug all me mates on the way out and give high fives.

5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

But the rules of association football were laid down in 1863?

Some rules for some kind of football related sport were laid down in 1863 rather than 'the rules'.  Some of the rules in 1863 were for example.

'Goals could be scored at any height...there was no crossbar'

'There was an offside rule similar to rugby, nobody could be in front of the kicker'

'Throw-Ins had to be thrown in at right angles to the pitch'  Again similar to rugby

'There was no goalie, and punishment for any fouls'.

'Players were allowed to catch the ball and a free-kick was awarded for a good catch'.  Again like rugby.

'Hacking opponents, by kicking them on the shins to trip them, was also often allowed'.

When Scotland met England in 1872, it was the Scottish team that wanted to play by rules that we associate with football now, and the English team that wanted to maintain the rugby elements to the game.

Football evolved, rather than was invented at any particular time and it seems to me that Scotland deserves to be considered the home of football at least to the extent that England is. 

33 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Some rules for some kind of football related sport were laid down in 1863 rather than 'the rules'.  Some of the rules in 1863 were for example.

'Goals could be scored at any height...there was no crossbar'

'There was an offside rule similar to rugby, nobody could be in front of the kicker'

'Throw-Ins had to be thrown in at right angles to the pitch'  Again similar to rugby

'There was no goalie, and punishment for any fouls'.

'Players were allowed to catch the ball and a free-kick was awarded for a good catch'.  Again like rugby.

'Hacking opponents, by kicking them on the shins to trip them, was also often allowed'.

When Scotland met England in 1872, it was the Scottish team that wanted to play by rules that we associate with football now, and the English team that wanted to maintain the rugby elements to the game.

Football evolved, rather than was invented at any particular time and it seems to me that Scotland deserves to be considered the home of football at least to the extent that England is. 

I didn't think you Scots liked crossbars anyway? ?

Archived