Unpopular opinions: Football but not DCFC

IlsonDerby

33 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

So how do you think we are going to improve opportunities and standards without raising the profile, exactly? That's precisely what positive discrimination is, an attempt to redress an imbalance. That doesn't detract from the men's game in any way, so your objection to having to see women's football mentioned when you have no interest in it is petulant in the extreme; half the population should be denied a proper chance to get into football so that you don't have to scroll past one more thing on a listing? That's baalocks, mate!

Do wind your neck in - nothing petulant at all - just fair representation is what I am saying. Your argument equally applies to netball, lacrosse, baseball, opera, chess, underwater basket weaving and I don't agree with it.

BTW - I think you need some new reading glasses as well as you seem to find messages in my comments that are simply not there, at no point did I object to 'having to see women's football mentioned'.

Now why not go get yourself a bacon buttie, read the newspapers in a room lit by the morning sun and realise there is more than one side to a point. Unless your aim is to somehow congratulate yourself as you roll back in your chair, with a tiny endorphin rush that you have somehow 'put me right'. In which case, if that is what you need to be happy - you're right, well done, move on.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

My controversial opinion:

The community shield should be help in a different country every year (kind of like La Liega plan but not a league game). Should be a tournament of 4 teams FA cup winner, league cup winner, league winner and fair play league winner (gives extra context to league cup and fair play league as could spread a cups brand abroad).

fair play league should the be revised to include punishments for abusing ref, fan misbehaviour, diving (retrospectively) and anything else we want to stamp out.

On 16/09/2018 at 08:54, Lambchop said:

You say that as if the promotion of the women's game is a bad thing. You also compare it with the men's game as if they have had the same input and development since day one, and women have just failed to make the grade because of some inherent inferiority, particularly in your focus on technical ability. 

Given the vast inequality of opportunity for girls to get into the game, and receive the level of training and support that boys get, wouldn't you think that promoting the women's game is actually a good thing? To raise the profile and encourage more girls to get involved, and improve the opportunities for, and quality of, training? Or should we just write it off, because it doesn't currently satisfy your requirements for entertainment?

It's only going to be promoted if there is a market for it, unfortunately there isn't because on the whole it is not very good and not very entertaining. 

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's only going to be promoted if there is a market for it, unfortunately there isn't because on the whole it is not very good and not very entertaining. 

Catch 22. It isn't very good or entertaining because there isn't the investment in it. 

I disagree anyway. Raising the profile of something can generate an interest, as we saw with the para olympics.

Also some people like women's football for the same reason they like lower league football; it's a more honest game without all the prima donna behaviour you get from overpaid, overhyped men. 

16 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Catch 22. It isn't very good or entertaining because there isn't the investment in it. 

I disagree anyway. Raising the profile of something can generate an interest, as we saw with the para olympics.

Also some people like women's football for the same reason they like lower league football; it's a more honest game without all the prima donna behaviour you get from overpaid, overhyped men. 

Well I'm glad you got that last sentence of your chest.

They may be overpaid and overhyped but they keep the money rolling in for their employers because they are a marketable product, womens football never has been and probably never will be. 

20 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Funnily enough, it’s the treatment of Donny Belles and Yeovil and the pandering to the likes of City etcetera that’s put me off women’s football.

Stepping all over the honest little people to make the game more popular

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They may be overpaid and overhyped but they keep the money rolling in for their employers because they are a marketable product, womens football never has been and probably never will be. 

Call me old fashioned, but it's supposed to be a sport, not a  'marketable product'.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Modric wasn’t even in the top five best players in Spain last season, let alone the world.

I do like him though. But he’s like the new kid on the block for the journalists to overhype.

It’s not an unpopular opinion that Journalists (including wannabe ones) know nothing about football, we established that in another thread ?

Oh, and Messi had him as his number one  in the voting as well....

1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

It’s not an unpopular opinion that Journalists (including wannabe ones) know nothing about football, we established that in another thread ?

The whole thing’s a bit of a farce. Firstly it’s political and secondly how much football do footballers even watch? I can’t imagine it being any more than the odd game here or there…

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Modric wasn’t even in the top five best players in Spain last season, let alone the world.

I do like him though. But he’s like the new kid on the block for the journalists to overhype.

The whole awards ceremony was a mess. Salah winning the puskas award makes a mockery of the award and proves fans shouldn't be involved in the process.

4 hours ago, cannable said:

The whole thing’s a bit of a farce. Firstly it’s political and secondly how much football do footballers even watch? I can’t imagine it being any more than the odd game here or there…

Good point, wouldn’t that apply to the majority who vote though? The players that get through to the latter parts of any tournament are by virtue of the publicity and coverage that surrounds it get a higher proportion of the votes.

Modric won a CL and got to a WC final, so you can see why people voted for him. 

Salah winning an award, which even his own team mates has taken the piss out of is based upon fans voting, given he has gained over a million votes in their presidential elections, there is no suprise that he won that.

5 hours ago, AdamRam said:

I read Messi also voted for Ronaldo in his top three. If true, that’s a nice touch.

As mentioned, the whole thing is a mess and voting Salah for best goal was like softening the blow of him not making the world XI.

The whole thing has been a sham ever since they gave the 2013 award to Ronaldo who won nothing instead of Ribery or Lahm who won a treble at Bayern and was influential throughout.

Over the next few years, if it’s allowed to continue to grow without too much interference, non league football is going to have a steady rise in popularity. Cheap tickets, pubs (sometimes IN the stadium), dissatisfaction with the premier league/championship and plenty of different local teams is already helping improve attendances.

Only thing that may end up putting people off will be if another team like Salford City come along and spoil it. The women’s game would/could be the same but the changes in the summer have put quite a few off.

Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar should have been banned from inclusion in such votes as worlds best player etc.

Voting should be based on skill, quality,  consistency etc and also being a role model,  players with criminal convictions should be excluded until its spent.

35 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Last night VAR triumphed over atwell who's probably still trying to chalk off our second. No var he'd have overruled hhis linesman in a flash and smiled about it.

I thought he had a decent game, didnt faff with var. Got it right for the sending off. Cant think of anything he did wrong. 

Only thing that was odd was added on time, and thats the 4th officials job i think.

Archived