Unpopular opinions: Football but not DCFC

IlsonDerby

6 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Lampard was luckier in that he was in a much better side. I'd have picked Gerrard out of that pair every day of the week.

Hopefully though, Frank will be the much better Manager of the two....

he played in a Chelsea side where I would have scored 20 goals a season....

yep, lets hope so....

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/07/2018 at 14:45, Bris Vegas said:

City signing a 24-year-old Robinho in 2008 for £30m was no different to Man Utd signing a 26-year-old Veron for £25m in 2001. Due to inflation, they’re exactly the same price, yet for City they bought a player who was 2 years younger and arguably universally more recognised.

Shevchenko for £30m in 2006, when he was 27, was a bigger one but still not the biggest at the time. He was afterall a world class striker supposedly heading into his prime.

I think the Torres one was the worst of the lot as everyone could see he wasn’t the same player and £50m was ridiculous.

But Man Utd signing Rio Ferdinand, a defender, for £30m back in 2001 or whatever really started it for me. But he was actually worth it when taking into account his success and longevity.

Not to mention Buffon signing for Juve for 52m euros in 2001.  But to be fair, that turned out to be an outstanding bit of business

18 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I guess this is DCFC related now technically but my opinion comes from a non DCFC related time...

Frank Lampard wasn't that good a footballer....not as good as Gerrard (who wasn't that good after about 26 years old)

13 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Lampard was luckier in that he was in a much better side. I'd have picked Gerrard out of that pair every day of the week.

Hopefully though, Frank will be the much better Manager of the two....

But I'm sure we can all agree that Scholes was better than both of them...

Football will only 'come home' when Scotland when the World Cup. 

Scotland were the first international team to play a version of the sport that we would recognize as football today.

Yeah, I know this means the world will probably have to wait a long time for football to really come home, but you never know, it could happen! 

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Football will only 'come home' when Scotland when the World Cup. 

Scotland were the first international team to play a version of the sport that we would recognize as football today.

Yeah, I know this means the world will probably have to wait a long time for football to really come home, but you never know, it could happen! 

''Sheffield F.C., the first football club in the world, is founded in 1857. That same year the Sheffield Rules are also created.''

I mean, you're wrong. Football was really invented in Sheffield. Was another 15 years before the England vs Scotland game, not sure how you can claim Scotland played first, when the first international game was vs England?? Weird.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

''Sheffield F.C., the first football club in the world, is founded in 1857. That same year the Sheffield Rules are also created.''

I mean, you're wrong. Football was really invented in Sheffield. Was another 15 years before the England vs Scotland game, not sure how you can claim Scotland played first, when the first international game was vs England?? Weird.

Football was invented by the Aztecs and Mayans hundreds of years ago.

The only thing that has changed over time is the rules and professional set up.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The 'Coming Home' phrase seems to be confined to international football. Therefore I'm just looking at which international team can justifiably lay claim to the be first 'real' football team.  The 15 years of club football before that international you mention was more a rugby/football blend, and it was as far as I know, that Scottish international team in 1872 that first played football as we know it!  So I think my suggestion has some merit at least.

Many other ancient civilizations can lay claim to football type games also from Central America to China and beyond. 

I think Manchester United are a pretty cool football club.

I don't mind Leeds united at all, they mean nothing to me really.

and im not sure if this will be an unpopular opinion or not but Italian football in the 90's was the absolute pinnacle of football ever.

and

Sensible soccer will always be better than FIFA...

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

But dont they play in Derbyshire? 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Football was invented by the Aztecs and Mayans hundreds of years ago.

The only thing that has changed over time is the rules and professional set up.

That explains the league pyramid system 

Football was invented in England in the 1800's, not in China, ancient Rome or South America by powdered up Aztecs.

Kicking a severed human head around with Genghis Khan is not playing football.

It's like saying Antonio Meiucci invented the iPhone.

On 02/07/2018 at 14:16, IlsonDerby said:

Lynched by the press!? The dckhead decides to go on a mad one about disabled people paying for crimes in their previous lives whilst in one of the most prominent roles in world sport, is rightfully hammered for it, rightfully sacked for it and you’re suggesting it was a lynch job... Jesus wept man.

it was a sting by the press. hoddle was mis quoted, what he did say was direct answers to the questions he was being answered by someone who wasnt supposed to be conducting a newspaper interview. Only in todays world where this practise is rife would hoddle have been more careful. Theres been a sting or attempted undercover exposure of every england manager since I have been watching england which is 30 years. From Bobby Robson to Alladyce

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Football was invented in England in the 1800's, not in China, ancient Rome or South America by powdered up Aztecs.

Kicking a severed human head around with Genghis Khan is not playing football.

It's like saying Antonio Meiucci invented the iPhone.

The football that was played before 1872 wasn't too different to kicking severed heads around a courtyard. 

Also, the Aztec and Mayan version was more like the British Bulldog playground game, with a head that they kicked around.

The leader of the winning team was also sacrificed. 

The rules we play to now are largely the same as the Sheffield rules. That is where it was invented. Every earlier version of kicking something about is not football.

Archived