Backroom staff: Shay Given, Chris Jones & Stephen Rands

RedSox

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I read it that summer field will not be joining Stoke so looks like he is staying here? Very odd as Rowett brought summer field here but not Phillips. 

He's already been replaced here, so he'll be gone. I feel quite bad for the bloke. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i suspect we are happy to lose whoever rowett wants in order to reduce wages and fund new staff.

disappointed that they actually want to join him though.

strange situation for summerfield.

27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

i suspect we are happy to lose whoever rowett wants in order to reduce wages and fund new staff.

disappointed that they actually want to join him though.

strange situation for summerfield.

I suspect theyre both getting promotions. Phillips to assistant and Delap to first team coach.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Poole & Summerfield have been by his side since he started management and he's just hung them out to dry like that. 

Regardless of what you think of his management style, it's a pretty c**tish thing to do. Instead he's taken two guys he inherited, both of whom came in under Clement?

It'll be interesting to see who Lampard brings in. I doubt he'll struggle to find improvements. Phillip's impact can be construed in a number of different ways, you could say a) he brought Vydra on and was instrumental in him being the league's top goalscorer. equally, you could say b) well, he was here the first year Vydra scored 3 & every other striker already at the club has gone backwards. 

Delap was manager/assistant manager for the under-18s, wasn't he?

Correct on Delap. Hes gone from U18 head coach to what appears to be a first team coach, no brainer.

Wont be particularly missed really the U18s didnt do owt special under him. Wish him well for the future.

25 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Correct on Delap. Hes gone from U18 head coach to what appears to be a first team coach, no brainer.

Wont be particularly missed really the U18s didnt do owt special under him. Wish him well for the future.

Joint manager of the u18's wasn't he, with Justin Walker.

Guess Walker will remain sole manager and we'll have saved a wage as part of the Academy cost cutting.

Any word on the Analyst team? Fitness voach Haines? Are they to follow or stay? and who does that leave us with Poole as GK and Summerfield as assistant to the assistant haha

Can imagine Frank has a few chelsea old boys lined up as coaches.

3 hours ago, BondJovi said:

A farewell then to Kevin "Limpet" Phillips. Probably a good thing but really I have no idea what he offered and I guess we will never know.

Sucks to be Poole and Summerfield. Always nice to be shafted by a mate.

I was told the only reason we kept Philips for so long was because his highly rated lad was in our academy...not sure if that's true, but would be interesting to see if his lad follows him.

5 hours ago, BondJovi said:

A farewell then to Kevin "Limpet" Phillips. Probably a good thing but really I have no idea what he offered and I guess we will never know.

Sucks to be Poole and Summerfield. Always nice to be shafted by a mate.

Great news for me . Will feel a lot safer now sitting behind that practice goal before kick off! 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Poole & Summerfield have been by his side since he started management and he's just hung them out to dry like that. 

Regardless of what you think of his management style, it's a pretty c**tish thing to do. Instead he's taken two guys he inherited, both of whom came in under Clement?

It'll be interesting to see who Lampard brings in. I doubt he'll struggle to find improvements. Phillip's impact can be construed in a number of different ways, you could say a) he brought Vydra on and was instrumental in him being the league's top goalscorer. equally, you could say b) well, he was here the first year Vydra scored 3 & every other striker already at the club has gone backwards. 

Delap was manager/assistant manager for the under-18s, wasn't he?

One of the criticisms of Clough (Nigel) was that he was too loyal to terrible coaches. Of course I get what you're saying, but Rowett's ambitious and if he thinks Phillips, Delap and Quy are better than Summerfield and Poole it makes sense. If his coaches are good then he looks good. It's a ruthless business, but what business isn't? I might do the same if I'd recently started working with sim I thought exceptional. 

When Lampard brings his own people in they'll both get lovely payoffs so they shouldn't complain. 

Both Delap and Philips have lads in our academy (I think). If they're not up to it, it makes it easier to release them if their dads don't work at the club. I hope they are up to it. 

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

One of the criticisms of Clough (Nigel) was that he was too loyal to terrible coaches. Of course I get what you're saying, but Rowett's ambitious and if he thinks Phillips, Delap and Quy are better than Summerfield and Poole it makes sense. If his coaches are good then he looks good. It's a ruthless business, but what business isn't? I might do the same if I'd recently started working with sim I thought exceptional. 

When Lampard brings his own people in they'll both get lovely payoffs so they shouldn't complain. 

Both Delap and Philips have lads in our academy (I think). If they're not up to it, it makes it easier to release them if their dads don't work at the club. I hope they are up to it. 

The difference for me, in a way, is that Clough came from Burton to Derby and settled, there was no transition. Poole & Summerfield have been with Rowett since day dot and have moved around with him. When Rowett was sacked by Birmingham, so was Sale, Poole & Summerfield. 

I have no idea how good these guys are or aren't at their job. It's Rowett's decision, ultimately, but if I was Summerfield in particular I would feel very let down. I feel quite bad for the bloke. He attached himself to Rowett, who moved on and became the highest paid manager in the league, but lost his job. He'll be scratching his head thinking where now. 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

^this^

Also Summerfield came in as Rowett’s assistant at Burton because GR was new to management and wanted an experienced man with him. That’s no longer the case so makes sense he’s looking at fresh (ish) faces and younger coaches.

Anyway Summerfield and Poole will be paid off and will go so it’ll be a complete clean break for 1st team coaches with possible exception of fitness coach, but someone reckoned Lamps wanted a bloke from Chelsea for that too

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Out of interest ... who says they were terrible coaches ?

any of us see them first hand ?

or be able to compare them with other coaches we’ve seen in action.. first hand ?

is this like the much Meligned Simon Clough who got hammer on here cos he was Nigel’s brother yet in truth it appears he was part of a much more capable scouting team than we’ve had since 

not looking to open up another Nigel Clough dance lol, I’m just curious how backroom staff get labelled as crap when none of us have a scooby doo what they do behind closed doors 

12 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Wonder if Wassall will ever depart? 

Not hugely likely, unless he gets the opportunity of a promotion. He's academy director, that's a pretty big role.

For all his diplomacy about it at the end of last season, I don't think he was very happy at all with how last season went. He certainly didn't want to send half the u23s out on loan, plus he then had the task of keeping us in Division 1 with what remained while Rowett refused to let first team fringe players play with the u23s. He probably had the hardest job of all U23 coaches in the PL1 last season.

I suspect this season will be better for the academy.

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Pretty sure Quy has been at Stoke for years and part of the deal for Rowett (or any new manager) to join was that Quy had to stay...nice of Rowett to drop his 'mate' so he could leave for another club though

This is correct. Stoke were very happy with the work done developing Butland and so Quy is highly thought of. 

Archived