Backroom staff: Shay Given, Chris Jones & Stephen Rands

RedSox

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Are people making the Delap link because he's ex-Stoke or is there something in that? I can't imagine GR had almost any real interaction with our U18 head coach based on both the level of youth involvement in the first team and the structure of the club meaning that Darren Wassall is in charge of all levels of the academy, so he'd be the one liaising with first team staff.

Yep interesting that Stoke fans think the ones he’s bringing with him are ones that were at the club already!

2 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Yep interesting that Stoke fans think the ones he’s bringing with him are ones that were at the club already!

That says more about their efforts to learn about their new manager than anything else.

Looking forward to them going the way of Villa over the coming seasons ?

53 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Well I suspect the Kevin Phillips link might be the confusion with the initials KP - due to Kevin Poole being one of those definitely going. I think Phillips will choose to stay at Derby, given a choice, purely because his littl'un is still in our academy. 

I think it says a great deal about his ability as a coach that all these managers keep coming in, working with him, and remaining happy with his contribution.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Are people making the Delap link because he's ex-Stoke or is there something in that? I can't imagine GR had almost any real interaction with our U18 head coach based on both the level of youth involvement in the first team and the structure of the club meaning that Darren Wassall is in charge of all levels of the academy, so he'd be the one liaising with first team staff.

Rowett specifically mentioned Delap as a target in an interview today... 

"I am looking for good people, and maybe someone with an affinity for Stoke," said Rowett.

"Rory is someone that I have spoken to with a view to hopefully bringing him along with me, but I am also respectful that he is working at Derby at the moment so we will see."

Just now, therealhantsram said:

Rowett specifically mentioned Delap in an interview today... 

"I am looking for good people, and maybe someone with an affinity for Stoke," said Rowett.

"Rory is someone that I have spoken to with a view to hopefully bringing him along with me, but I am also respectful that he is working at Derby at the moment so we will see."

Interesting, thanks for that.

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

Hope he got permission from Mel first or we can probably report them for an illegal approach....

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Hope he got permission from Mel first or we can probably report them for an illegal approach....

It does seem a little disrespectful (to Derby) to name him directly, and then he goes on to say he's being respectful immediately after.

Sort of a "With all due respect, go duck yourself" sort of thing. 

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Didn't see this on the main parceltongue  interview I looked at on the Six finger sentinel ,  so assume from another interview.  I wouldn't even let this bloke have the sweat gathered on my arse if he was dehydrated in the desert .  Keep Delap here people   

2 hours ago, archied said:

What a total winker,,, it does beg the question on how backroom staff should be contracted by clubs though ,,, surely contracts could/should be done in such a way as to tie the contract liability more to the manager who employs them or contracts can be severed if a manager decides to leave ,, there must be a way of protecting clubs from the financial liability of a manager bringing in his own backroom staff then leaving and leaving the club with a financial liability

Have to disagree there. The clubs allow the new manager to bring staff in, they are well within their rights to say no.

As for the coaches, they signed a contract for X amount of years and then their employers decide they're redundant and managers new club don't want them so suddenly their unemployed, so of course they should receive a pay off. 

For coaches who drop out of employment its not as easy to find a new opportunity as we sometimes think, interesting article on it here:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2017/jun/26/football-managers-once-they-fall-off-the-merry-go-round

Seems like he’s got this mentality now that “we’re stoke city, we’ve got money and we can do what the duck we want, if we want your players or staff, bend over like a good little club and take it” 

How about go **** yourself Gary

hope it all folds in on him like a pack of cards, hopefully the stoke players see right through him 

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Well I suspect the Kevin Phillips link might be the confusion with the initials KP - due to Kevin Poole being one of those definitely going. I think Phillips will choose to stay at Derby, given a choice, purely because his littl'un is still in our academy. 

I think it says a great deal about his ability as a coach that all these managers keep coming in, working with him, and remaining happy with his contribution.

But not happy enough to take him with them?

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

What’s Gary seen of Delap to make him think he’s worthy over his existing staff to try and take Stoke back to the PL? Madness. 

He does or usually says, things which please fans. It's one of those things.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

But not happy enough to take him with them?

My point was that he may be choosing to stay, due in part to his sons situation. 

You dont have to follow a manager just because he wants you. You're not an employee of the manager. 

Archived