Squad. What do we need?

Chester40

If you were a coach at the club and Frank called you in on Day 1 to ask for your assessment of the squad...strengths/weaknesses..?. positions that need looking at etc?... what would you say?

For starters I'd say there is no competition in the goal keeping spot but he is a brilliant keeper at this level.

We have a solid base of 3/4 centerbacks but none are getting any younger and Keogh aside distribution and pace are a little lacking.... 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Creativity. In his interviews Frank said he wanted to build on the energy and fighting spirit instilled by Rowett last season. Sounds to me like he won’t be throwing the baby out with the bath water, in which case some intelligent footballers and a change to more “front-footed” approach, tactics-wise, are required. 

I did a blog on this a while back. It was way too long but is here in case of interest: (https://dcfcreflections.blogspot.com/2018/04/summer-2018-restructuring-squad.html). This was when we were rigidly playing 4231

So much has changed since then of course!  I think a lot of what we need depends on what formation and style Lampard wants to play. If he plays with wing backs then maybe Wisdom will move to centre half as one of the 3 and we will get a new right wing back with Lowe and Forsyth on the Left?

If, on the other hand he favours a flat back 4,  then I think more of the analysis in my blog  stands. In that case, and assuming Vydra will go, I'd move Lawrence central and prioritise another winger and a striker.  I don't believe Martin will stay personally but I simply have no idea what Lampard means by fast, attractive football underlinined by a strong work ethic.  That sounds great but both Pep and Simeone would claim to play like that and the styles you play and formations you play to achieve that can be so different. 

Bit hard to say till we know Frank’s preferred formation, but judging by last season’s average starting 11, I’d say: left back, box to box/attacking midfielder, winger & striker.

I’d be happy if we tried out a couple of our under 23s first before heading out into the market; I don’t see much point getting loans in and developing Chelsea’s youngsters if we’ve got someone who’s worth a punt in the same position, but might need a little more time to develop.

34 minutes ago, Rammed79 said:

My assessment would be sell Butterfield, Johnson, Anya, Keogh, Wiemann, Ledley, Forsyth, Pearce and Olsen for starters and see what Chelsea youth players we can bring in but use Our own youth preferably first.

Easy as that ?

A new left back for sure. 

More mobile midfield options and a proper wide man who delivers crosses.

I personally would cash in on Vydra whilst his stock is high as he hasn't always been prolific.  We could then afford a decent 9 to replace a 10.

We won't really know who we need until we get rid of half a dozen. 

It’s a tricky one for Frank and his team already as he has said he wants to start a fresh with every player and everyone will have a chance, but at the same time we find ourselves in a position where we really could be doing with touting players about now!

Really depends on what formation he expects to play. 

However as it stands I would saY top 3 prioritise would be:

2x forwards

1x deep lying midfielder

1x advanced playmaker

Unless Max Lowe can step up then we need a left back to cover Olson's absence

Baird has gone so Wisdom needs some competition at right back

We still need more effective attacking width ( Russell gone, Mason Bennett too injury prone unfortunately ) unless Lamps can inspire Blackman !!

Elsnik should get his chance but we may have to move out Johnson, Butterfield or Bryson

One masterstroke by Lampard would be to get George Thorne playing well again - now that would be 'like a new signing'

Striker position is a tough one as we have Martin, Nugent & Jerome on god knows what combined salary

A bit off the cuff and hurried, but this mornings sleep fuddled brain thinks :

We need some youthful forward thinking energy in the middle of the park. / strong fast forward thinking AM

We need George Thorne to get his power and gifts back 

I’d love an out and out tricky winger - think Lawrence isn’t always at his best out wide and can be deployed better elsewhere 

Longer term we will need to think about strikers, as what we have isn’t in the first flush of youth. 

We need to give Lowe, Elsnik, Hanson and other existing youth, a real go in the side to see if they can cut it. 

Some of our existing “also rans” to be sold - if we can  - but Anya to stay because he is able and multi role.

I would get a new left back for starters not sure who atm and then sign Marriott and Maddison from Peterborough. 

Look at a few loans in maybe a CB, Winger and a CM.

Out would be Ledley, Butterfield, Blackman, Nugent, Vydra ( only for 15 million + though ), Anya, pearce, Wiemann and Jerome. 

Leave 2nd or 3rd choice striker as an under 23 player and try and get some of our own youngsters playing or at least on the sub bench. 

This management lark is easy ha ha

Not wishing to sound like Paul Clement but we need more guile and speed in ‘transitioning’ from defence to attack. Of course Hudd can pick a pass, but it’s the quick one-twos (pass then move into space) that cut open the opposition we are missing- and have been since Hughes went.

So, I think we need an intelligent midfielder. 

Carson 

Wisdom Terry Keogh Fozzy

Huddlestone Johnson 

Weimann Lawrence (New LW) 

Jerome

Out: Vydra and Davies. Would be open to Carson going if the right offer came in, and would look at the Shrewsbury town young keeper who they had on loan. 

Supplement the squad with a few loans and I think we will have a decent season. 

5 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Carson 

Wisdom Terry Keogh Fozzy

Huddlestone Johnson 

Jerome

If it’s Huddlestone and Johnson at DM in a 4231 we might as well go and watch Stoke. 

7 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Carson 

Wisdom Terry Keogh Fozzy

Huddlestone Johnson 

Jerome

Out: Vydra and Davies. Would be open to Carson going if the right offer came in, and would look at the Shrewsbury town young keeper who they had on loan. 

What a dreadful midfield.

2 hours ago, Mountain Ram said:

Bit hard to say till we know Frank’s preferred formation, but judging by last season’s average starting 11, I’d say: left back, box to box/attacking midfielder, winger & striker.

My exact thoughts as well.

We need to get rid of Nuge, Olson, Pearce, one or more of the 3 old high wage midfielders and Anya.

Archived