Squad. What do we need?

Chester40

All these squads proposed without Vydra are demonstrating quite evidently how much we need new, good quality attackers. Our quality in the attacking third is shocking. We have too many workman like players and not enough actual quality. This needs to be rectified.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

With what we have and own currently and expecting Vydra gone 

Or:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Terry Forsyth 

Thorne   

Bryson      Elsnick

Thomas/Gordon    Martin    Lawrence 

subs GK Nuge Lowe U23 midfielder/Bird Guy/Vernam Jerome Pearce 

Okay, I'm relatively unaware of what the squad is lacking since I didn't really follow Derby before. From a Chelsea perspective and going by some of the posts here, I reckon you guys probably need depth and/or quality at Left back and Da Silva is a no-brainer coz he's had a good loan at a lower division and he's one of Chelsea's brightest prospects plus you probably wouldn't want to waste too much money on acquiring a left back at this point of time. I reckon Kasey could come back for a second loan and we could sell Baker with a first option clause or something to help out. If either of them doesn't pan out CHO is another really good option for both parties - I don't think you'd want more than 2 loanees in a long term perspective but for this season it might be best to use a couple of them. If you can get Baker on the cheap with a buyback or a first option, I think that's satisfactory for everyone - he would dream of playing under Frank tbh.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or:

Carson

Wisdon Keogh Terry Forsyth 

Thorne   

Bryson      Elsnick

I’d like to go back to 4-3-3 too! There were too many times last season where we lost the midfield battle due to playing only Johnson and Huddlestone. All the best teams play as many midfielders as possible to get a stranglehold of the game, which is usually won in the midfield.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Terry Forsyth 

Thorne   

Bryson      Elsnick

I have a feeling Rowett may come in for wieman and we should sell but if not I expect he will be given first option to fail with lampard as will many of the others I suspect Huddlestone will be a lot fitter than thorne and I suspect ledley may move on 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

All these squads proposed without Vydra are demonstrating quite evidently how much we need new, good quality attackers. Our quality in the attacking third is shocking. We have too many workman like players and not enough actual quality. This needs to be rectified.

We possibly could replace Vydras goals with a couple of attacking central midfielders ! But yes a fast strong quality goal scorer would be nice but they are like rocking horse xxxx

17 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I have a feeling Rowett may come in for wieman and we should sell but if not I expect he will be given first option to fail with lampard as will many of the others I suspect Huddlestone will be a lot fitter than thorne and I suspect ledley may move on 

Don't care how fit Hudds gets, he won't be any faster, more able to tackle or better with his head. Am hoping the days of pumping balls into the channels are gone and so to Huddlestone. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't care how fit Hudds gets, he won't be any faster, more able to tackle or better with his head. Am hoping the days of pumping balls into the channels are gone and so to Huddlestone. 

That might occur but I think we will be starting with him which shouldn’t be to bad if the likes of Bryson and Elsnick are in front of him unlike the no mans land occupied by Butterfield and Johnson at the beginning of last season ( Johnson is never going t be a wonderful footballer but he does try and against some teams he performs well but generally not so against most, I think Birmingham city would see him do very well in thier team)

We need one really amazing forward player. Whether it's a striker or attacking midfielder or even a shuttle runner whatever the frig that is?? We need one first choice leader in a forward position. Blow every penny Mel can scratch together on one serious forward - everyone else can play off him.

surely terry comes as a coach only.

do we really need terry on the field when CB is the one position we have a decent bit of strength in.

for me we need width width and more width.

if we play two holdign midfelders, then the FBs have to be played as Wing backs.

if we dont, and they arent... then we need 2 quality wide forwards, of which we have 0 at the club given Weimann isnt good enough and Lawrence basically wants to come inside all the time.

13 hours ago, feisty said:

Won't be easy to sell all of those (and impossible to sell Olsson who is injured for the season)

Insurance means that we probably won't be paying him another penny until his contract runs out and he subsequently leaves on a free. I guess it means that we'll get nothing for him, but he's probably on between 10-15k a week, so at worst we've saved half a million on the wage bill. 

Also, difficult to say what we need at the moment when we don't know how we're going to play. A left back & a striker would be two obvious shouts, though. The Chelsea lad who won Charlton's POTY award is a left back, he would be the obvious choice. 

9 hours ago, SKRam said:

Picturing first day of pre season now.......

Lamps.... ‘Ok lads I’ve got a couple of ideas from World Cup and I’ve checked out DCFC Forum so line up over there, you, you, you, you and you can do one. Been on the blower to Stamford Bridge and The Etihad, they’re sending some youth so we’ll be sorted this season. Job done’        ?

Made my day that post. ... can you imagine if “we”the forum were doing management by committee ??

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Insurance means that we probably won't be paying him another penny until his contract runs out and he subsequently leaves on a free. I guess it means that we'll get nothing for him, but he's probably on between 10-15k a week, so at worst we've saved half a million on the wage bill. 

Also, difficult to say what we need at the moment when we don't know how we're going to play. A left back & a striker would be two obvious shouts, though. The Chelsea lad who won Charlton's POTY award is a left back, he would be the obvious choice. 

I don't think all our players are insured? And would be surprised if Olsson is given he's injury prone and therefore expensive to insure?

39 minutes ago, feisty said:

I don't think all our players are insured? And would be surprised if Olsson is given he's injury prone and therefore expensive to insure?

I believe the insurance is blanket cover, not player-by-player. Also, I know for a fact it only covers 'significant' injuries, so his 'usual' injuries wouldn't be covered. 

I'm not sure, though. I can only go off what Mel said at the breakfast meeting from a couple of years ago. 

I think its very likely that having said hes not here to ring in the changes, he tells at least 10 players to duck off on day 1.

Obviously our whole team can be improved upon, but I'd say that left full / wing back and right winger are the positions that most regularly perform below a good Championship standard.

I don't think we need a major overhaul to make us genuine promotion contenders. A couple of quality loans to add that bit of magic would suffice. Once we have been promoted the money gained from that can be used to rebuild and overhaul the squad ready to compete in the premier league.

Hopefully Jody Morris spends a bit of time first with our youngsters to see if any of them are ready to step up and comparable to any of his Chelsea squad before they bring any in.

Archived