Squad. What do we need?

Chester40

Not usurp our current and ever improving captain, Curtis Davies. By bringing in a 37 year old just because he’s the Managers mate.

More competition at Left back and Goal Keeper, But they could both be loans from Prem clubs, don’t have to spunk millions on them. Better to try before we buy.

Don’t mind if we never see Weimann again. Nice guy unall, but the phrase that includes ‘banjo’, ‘cow’s arse’ and ‘hit’ come to mind.

Our 3 main strikers from last season I just have no affinity with. Not saying get rid of them all, but I’d love to see us properly cash in on Vydra, Nugent has had his day and Jerome is just okay.

May be nostalgia creeping in, but would like to see Martin given another go, mainly because I think he’s a properly intelligent, cultured footballer  and I think we need that, but depends how FL will set us up for that to work.

I’ve got a feeling that one season of getting up to scratch/getting fit/settling in will see Forsyth, Thorne and Lawrence have much better seasons this time round. There’s clearly something in them all, just didn’t see enough of it last season, but willing/hoping for them to push on.

I like having Ledley around too, but in a toss up between him, Hudds and Thorne, then he’d have to go. But it’s a shame. He seems like a winner.

Overall, as I’ve said numerous times before, I still think we have a really strong squad. Expensively and incoherently assembled. But lots of good players. And with Bryson, Martin, Blackman, Anya, Johnson, Lowe and maybe 1 or 2 youth players, we have a set of players who’s skills and abilities haven’t been properly exposed over a consistent period of time on the Pride Park turf recently and under a new, young, inspirational manager could come good for us. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Not usurp our current and ever improving captain, Curtis Davies. By bringing in a 37 year old just because he’s the Managers mate.

More competition at Left back and Goal Keeper, But they could both be loans from Prem clubs, don’t have to spunk millions on them. Better to try before we buy.

Don’t mind if we never see Weimann again. Nice guy unall, but the phrase that includes ‘banjo’, ‘cow’s arse’ and ‘hit’ come to mind.

Our 3 main strikers from last season I just have no affinity with. Not saying get rid of them all, but I’d love to see us properly cash in on Vydra, Nugent has had his day and Jerome is just okay.

May be nostalgia creeping in, but would like to see Martin given another go, mainly because I think he’s a properly intelligent, cultured footballer  and I think we need that, but depends how FL will set us up for that to work.

I’ve got a feeling that one season of getting up to scratch/getting fit/settling in will see Forsyth, Thorne and Lawrence have much better seasons this time round. There’s clearly something in them all, just didn’t see enough of it last season, but willing/hoping for them to push on.

I like having Lesley around too, but in a toss up between him, Hudds and Thorne, then he’d have to go. But it’s a shame. He seems like a winner.

Overall, as I’ve said numerous times before, I still think we have a really strong squad. Expensively and incoherently assembled. But lots of good players. And with Bryson, Martin, Blackman, Anya, Johnson, Lowe and maybe 1 or 2 youth players, we have a set of players who’s skills and abilities haven’t been properly exposed over a consistent period of time on the Pride Park turf recently and under a new, young, inspirational manager could come good for us. 

If Frank brings in JT it won't be just because they're mates. In any case, a back three of Keogh JT and Curtis with Wizz and Lowe at wingback wouldn't be so awful, would it? 

Who is Lesley btw, and does her old man know about the toss ups?   Maybe a cheeky edit required, lest he find out ?

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

If Frank brings in JT it won't be just because they're mates. In any case, a back three of Keogh JT and Curtis with Wizz and Lowe at wingback wouldn't be so awful, would it? 

One of the main plus points of last season was our Defence and how, overall, it was pretty reliable and one of the main remits of the incoming manager was to reduce the age and size of the squad.

Curtis was my player of the season last year and deserves to be captain this season.

if we hadn’t just employed Lampard as manager would anyone be seeing the recently available Terry as a target?

Reduce squad size ✖️

Reduce Wage Bill ✖️

Reduce Age of players ✖️

Stop ex Prem players coming for one last pay day. ✖️

Yes he had a good season at Villa, but we don’t need him as a player. If he’s a coach then fair enough. But at the moment we’re in danger of employing people based on celebrity affiliation, more than what’s best for he club.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Who is Lesley btw, and does her old man know about the toss ups?   Maybe a cheeky edit required, lest he find out ?

FTFY ??

18 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Curtis was my player of the season last year and deserves to be captain this season.

if we hadn’t just employed Lampard as manager would anyone be seeing the recently available Terry as a target?

Reduce squad size ✖️

Reduce Wage Bill ✖️

Reduce Age of players ✖️

Yes he had a good season at Villa, but we don’t need him as a player. If he’s a coach then fair enough. But at the moment we’re in danger of employing people based on celebrity affiliation, more than what’s best for he club.

Its about playing as a team, getting the best out of the squad. If Frankie wants Terry in then he'll have a reason. As he said he's working towards a goal and that goal is success.

Required positions and types of players required: 

Left Back - pacey and a decent crosser. 

Central midfield - legs and goals please. Creativity is key but I am desperate to see our boy Huddlestone given the freedom with a trusted partner in the middle and watch his passing and decision making dictate play. I feel he couldn't fully operate last season with the way we played. 

Wingers/Attacking midfielders- in the Jordon Ibe mould, unpredictable, direct and has a trick. Hudson-Odoi would do the trick but can't see a lot of movement with any Chelsea players until they sort their own house out with Abramovich and Conte. 

Striker- Pace, Power and a goal threat. Get as much competition up here as possible with Nugent only really a sub at best and Jerome being the likely number 9. Unless my sweet prince Chrissy gets a final chance... 

2 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Required positions and types of players required: 

Left Back - pacey and a decent crosser. 

Central midfield - legs and goals please. Creativity is key but I am desperate to see our boy Huddlestone given the freedom with a trusted partner in the middle and watch his passing and decision making dictate play. I feel he couldn't fully operate last season with the way we played. 

Wingers/Attacking midfielders- in the Jordon Ibe mould, unpredictable, direct and has a trick. Hudson-Odoi would do the trick but can't see a lot of movement with any Chelsea players until they sort their own house out with Abramovich and Conte. 

Striker- Pace, Power and a goal threat. Get as much competition up here as possible with Nugent only really a sub at best and Jerome being the likely number 9. Unless my sweet prince Chrissy gets a final chance... 

Whilst we all want a left back who is able to cross well and is fast we also need them to basically be able to defend well and in fairness Forsyth can defend well in the championship most of the time and strangely it was he who often fed the ball into Martin 

a midfielder who can shoot on goal effectively from set pieces would be very nice as Lawrence has been dreadful at that 

I think nugent needs to move on and be replaced effectively whilst Jerome is capable of contributing but I would want him only as an effective something different substitute 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Whilst we all want a left back who is able to cross well and is fast we also need them to basically be able to defend well and in fairness Forsyth can defend well in the championship most of the time and strangely it was he who often fed the ball into Martin 

a midfielder who can shoot on goal effectively from set pieces would be very nice as Lawrence has been dreadful at that 

I think nugent needs to move on and be replaced effectively whilst Jerome is capable of contributing but I would want him only as an effective something different substitute 

I lost count the amount of times Forsyth's lack of defensive awareness cost us a goal or a goal scoring opportunity last season. 

3 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

One of the main plus points of last season was our Defence and how, overall, it was pretty reliable and one of the main remits of the incoming manager was to reduce the age and size of the squad.

Reduce squad size ✖️

Reduce Wage Bill ✖️

Reduce Age of players ✖️

FTFY ??

I'll take that as a 'no' then shall I? ?

I don't recall folk being terribly pleased about us signing Curtis back in the day but I guess they were wrong about him, huh? I suspect IF WE SIGN JT they'll be most likely be proved wrong again. 

As for 'people' being employed based on 'celebrity affiliation', who are these celebrities you refer to? I only ask so I know what else I should be fretting over before a ball is kicked in anger. 

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

I lost count the amount of times Forsyth's lack of defensive awareness cost us a goal or a goal scoring opportunity last season. 

We kept a heck of a lot of clean sheets and victory’s with him in the side though

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

WE NEED SOME LEGS IN THE MIDDLE!!

Half the lads are nearly going backwards they're that slow ?

Would literally make so much difference having midfielders who can run. Love hudds, love Thorne, love Ledley. But only 1 at a time.

Will be interesting to see what formation Lamps chooses and that will help figure out how many runners we need I think.

Personally, I'd give Hudds cdm and two further forward meaning no CAM position like before.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I'm actually a Forsyth fan and think he does get a bad press. He is a good defender, decent in the air and always gives 100%. His crossing could be better, but he can do it- Jerome goal vs Fulham, Winnall low cross against Leeds. He does have it in his locker, which makes me think its decision making that is what he's at fault for more often than not. 

If Lowe is going to be fit, I'd love these two to battle it out but just think if we have Andre one side then we can afford to allow the left side to "bomb-on" a bit more. All hypothetical as we don't know what formation etc. 

I get what your saying about Jerome, but he's been effective when playing regularly, he hasn't really had the impact off the bench that Bent used to as in go on and get a goal. 

Archived