Is Rowett's style boring?

GadFly

Is Rowett's style of play boring?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Its fine in theory. but if we're too slow/old/exhausted to press hard and win the ball frequently, then the number of opportunities we have to counterattack get fewer........and fewer....................until..........................................................................we're just defending.

At that point, I guess it looks boring as we're literally camped in our half shuffling slowly from side to side as a team (you can see the shape is there and we're working to maintain it) and just hoping for an opposition error so we can get the ball back.

With our lack of precision on the counterattack, we simply HAVE to be able to win the ball back much more quickly and frequently than we seem able to.

The closer to the opponents goal you win it, the less work you have to do to create chances. 

I think we'll be able to tell pretty quickly next season whether we've played this way by design or default.

The way Rowett talks, he wants us to win the ball much further up the pitch, and not a counter attacking team, but the players he's signed in midfield, and the players he's chosen/not chosen to use so far seem a contradiction to me.

I reckon the late rally to make the play offs has bought him a more little time to show improvement, but if the football and results are similar to the majority of matches since January I can't see him making the next window.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

not boring.

Beautiful.

The build-up is so nice but the finishing...I don't like it. Bryson should've passed to Ward, not shoot.

That's how my team used to play and oh boy how the players enjoyed tap-ins to the empty goal.

On 17/05/2018 at 14:58, Bris Vegas said:

Rowett’s football this season has been horrible to watch, but that’s largely due to the players at his disposal.

I mean, the 343 system can be excellent, but like any system it requires having the right players which we don’t have.

I honestly prefer to see us dominate the ball. We make no attempt to do this as Carson boots it long every time.

We try to break up play, and counter with pace. The reason it looks so tedius is because we can’t do it very well.

There is zero mobility in midfield. BJ and Hudds can’t press. You need pace and a player who can tackle here, like a Kante type.

We lack genuine wingbacks, especially on the left. Wisdom is more of a CB playing out of position.

And in the final third we’re mostly rubbish. Weimann has no quality on the ball and Lawrence has been crap for 90% of the campaign.

Going back to point, it can be exciting to watch. With a fitter, more mobile team we would break up play more often and counter with better quality. We just don’t have anywhere near the players to do that.

And considering we don’t have much money, it could take us 3 or 4 years for Rowett to get close to the sort of team capable of entertaining. 

I’m happy to write off next year. 2019-20 is the start of it for me as most of our duffs are out of contract in the summer of 2019. Then it will give us a big clue as to Rowett’s intentions. If we give BJ a new contract or continue to sign ageing, slow players then Rowett can simply do one.

Bang on... it was embarrassing how much they were getting overrun early in the season.. Ledley stoped the rot with a cm three, they pressed higher and began to dominate games... Ledley got injured.. back to cm two of either hudd and Johnson/ Thorne.. rot set in again... Derbys biggest problem is there lack of competitiveness in central midfield .... hudd and Thorne/Johnson  surrended midfield to the opposition so any counter attack was just hoof ball and players lost confidence .. penny dropped with Rowett eventually after more embarrassing defeats and he went to a back three

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

so you’re saying in the first leg it was okay to defend a one goal lead but it wasn’t okay to defend that same one goal lead in the se one leg? Okay! Makes sense. 

Except we were still defending at 2-0 down, see subbing off Jerome instead of Huddlestone.

Honestly if you think that with this squad of players we should have had automatics or gone up ahead of Fulham then you’re on of those derby fans who think we have a divine right to be successful... I can name 5 better squads than ours in this division I’d imagine without much struggle... 

Don't even know where to start with this. Try tell me Huddersfield had the third best squad in the league last year. I'll tell you why you're wrong. The best squad isn't always promoted, if we played our cards right we could have beaten Fulham. Besides the point that Rowett had the summer to build the squad, and yet he didn't. Cardiff didn't build an amazing squad, they went up in autos. If you think this is a good point to defend Rowett, you're far off the mark. 

so you’re saying in the first leg it was okay to defend a one goal lead but it wasn’t okay to defend that same one goal lead in the se one leg? Okay! Makes sense. 

Defending for 60 minutes, sure. Defending for 150 minutes, no thank you. One sucker punch goal in the second leg from Derby kills the tie, and that's what Rowett himself told us he was going to try do, yet in practice did the exact opposite, and refused to go all out for a goal, even though it would have saved our season at 2-1 down.

You literally can’t enjoy life being that angry. Criticise however you want but then don’t whinge when people pick up on how over the top scathing you’ve been. 

Oh the irony. You accusing me of whinging, whilst persisting to whinge about my posts. Feel free to put me on ignore if you think that way. 

On 17/05/2018 at 06:18, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

He got us to the playoffs, boring or not!

So did Wassall without resorting to boring football, and I would say derby put up a better show in the play-offs under Wassall. 

I would think Wassall is still available as manager. 

14 minutes ago, Raminphilippines said:

So did Wassall without resorting to boring football, and I would say derby put up a better show in the play-offs under Wassall. 

O dear ,same old fantasy island stuff ,,, wassall the lovable loyal old servant was made manager and they all lived happily ever after ,,,,,,,,,,,,, you think rowett being in charge splits the fan base ,, wassell would not be accepted by most fans and would wilt under the weight of it ,, oh hang on revised publication ,,, things in derby land were not so happy so the evil owner brought in old king Harry to rule alongside wassell THEN they all lived happily ever after,,,, Dorothy clicked her heals and toto appeared bearing brown envelopes and all was well in the land of milk and honey ,,, casting for the straw man ? If I only had a ,,,,,,,,,

19 hours ago, Andicis said:

Except we were still defending at 2-0 down, see subbing off Jerome instead of Huddlestone.

Don't even know where to start with this. Try tell me Huddersfield had the third best squad in the league last year. I'll tell you why you're wrong. The best squad isn't always promoted, if we played our cards right we could have beaten Fulham. Besides the point that Rowett had the summer to build the squad, and yet he didn't. Cardiff didn't build an amazing squad, they went up in autos. If you think this is a good point to defend Rowett, you're far off the mark. 

Defending for 60 minutes, sure. Defending for 150 minutes, no thank you. One sucker punch goal in the second leg from Derby kills the tie, and that's what Rowett himself told us he was going to try do, yet in practice did the exact opposite, and refused to go all out for a goal, even though it would have saved our season at 2-1 down.

Oh the irony. You accusing me of whinging, whilst persisting to whinge about my posts. Feel free to put me on ignore if you think that way. 

No chance. A lot of posters including @Moist One (to name but one) are annoyed that it took us until being 2-0 to attack but you still think we were defending at 2-0 down. There’s a difference between defending and not being able to get the ball back from a brilliant side passing it well. 

Yes Hudderfield did incredibly well but you cannot expect the underdog to always win otherwise they wouldn’t be the underdog. We did a Huddersfield against West Brom and Southampton 11 years ago. QPR did it to us, Huddersfield did it to Reading. At some point the fancied team will win... I think comparing Rowett to Warnocks absolutely incredible achievement and if you haven’t enjoyed our football this year then you’d have hated Cardiff’s... 

do you not think derby attempted to get the second goal during the first half when on at least 3 occasions they got into brilliant positions but ******* up the final ball? I honestly think had Fulham not scored so early it would have been more of the same in terms of standing strong and trying to counter. 

You failed to acknowledge me mentioning that at 2-1 down Weimann missed an absolute golden opportunity free header because it doesn’t suit the narrative you’re painting.

2 hours ago, Raminphilippines said:

Would have to disagree, GR has been at the helm for the whole season whilst DW coaxed the team across the line in the later part of the season, with help from others!

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Would have to disagree, GR has been at the helm for the whole season whilst DW coaxed the team across the line in the later part of the season, with help from others!

I agree that it's difficult to draw a comparison between GR and DW because of the duration of their tenures. However, on a personal level, despite an appalling result in the first leg, I felt much more positive after the second leg v Hull.

Different circumstances I know, but I felt proud of the effort and the football we played, getting on the front foot and really taking the game to Hull. Against Fulham in the second leg I was just proud of the effort. We started the Hull game with next to no chance of making the Play-Off Final, yet ultimately IMO came closer to making it than we did against Fulham. 

20 hours ago, Andicis said:

We did play our cards right and as a result Fulham beat us by only 1 goal over two games and we nearly took it to extra time. The limitations of the squad beat us. We had several excellent opportunities in both matches on the counter that were messed up with a poor final ball. Consistent quality under pressure is what this team lacks and why we didn’t go through. 

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

I agree that it's difficult to draw a comparison between GR and DW because of the duration of their tenures. However, on a personal level, despite an appalling result in the first leg, I felt much more positive after the second leg v Hull.

Different circumstances I know, but I felt proud of the effort and the football we played, getting on the front foot and really taking the game to Hull. Against Fulham in the second leg I was just proud of the effort. We started the Hull game with next to no chance of making the Play-Off Final, yet ultimately IMO came closer to making it than we did against Fulham. 

Don’t disagree with the playoff 2nd leg performance comparison, I just feel GR gets a lot of unfair criticism a kin to that which Richard Keogh is subjected to. 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We did play our cards right and as a result Fulham beat us by only 1 goal over two games and we nearly took it to extra time. The limitations of the squad beat us. We had several excellent opportunities in both matches on the counter that were messed up with a poor final ball. Consistent quality under pressure is what this team lacks and why we didn’t go through. 

It's a squad that Gary fashioned tho...so if it's limited it's due to him...it wasn't limited until Gary sold off and loaned out our players and failed to adequately replace them...he thought he could do better for less.

We did a Huddersfield against West Brom and Southampton 11 years ago.

No we didn't, we finished 3rd.

I think comparing Rowett to Warnocks absolutely incredible achievement and if you haven’t enjoyed our football this year then you’d have hated Cardiff’s... 

Are you deliberately misconstruing my points? I compared teams getting promoted with worse squads, not a single mention on football. And it is comparable. We probably had a better squad than Cardiff did.

do you not think derby attempted to get the second goal during the first half

No I don't. Think they were quite happy with a 0-0.

you cannot expect the underdog to always win

Then why after Rowett has had 2 transfer windows with us, are we continuing as underdogs, there is a point to be made that if he made more savvy purchases then we could be considered ''favourites'', him building an average squad isn't a good defence point for him, it's his job to build a good squad to make us NOT underdogs.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

e did play our cards right and as a result Fulham beat us by only 1 goal over two games and we nearly took it to extra time. The limitations of the squad beat us. We had several excellent opportunities in both matches on the counter that were messed up with a poor final ball. Consistent quality under pressure is what this team lacks and why we didn’t go through. 

That is both defeatist and wrong. If we had our tactics right, we should have got past Fulham. It's like you've never seen a squad with better players lose to a squad of worse players. It happens regularly. The only difference is, the side with the worse players usually has a good manager to help them through those situations. You think Fulham have ''consistent quality''? They don't. It's the championship, nobody has consistent quality. However you give yourself a huge advantage if you get into those situations repeatedly as opposed to twice a game. Several excellent opportunities: we had 2 shots on target in 180 minutes. 

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We did play our cards right and as a result Fulham beat us by only 1 goal over two games and we nearly took it to extra time. 

The way I read your post is that by Fulham only beating us by one goal this was somehow an acceptable outcome which proves that Rowett got his tactics spot on in the second leg. 

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

if you had read the posters op,the point was that he stated our performances against Fulham were down to the limitations of our squad...the one created by Gary after sending out our quality players.

This is part of my problem. Our players are basically being told indirectly they arent good enough to complete with the likes of Fulham. Ridiculous tbh. Apparently we cant play possession, passing build up football so just sit and defend and try and hit on the counter. We don't have **** footballers,  we just set up a way that makes them look like they arent good enough. Does my head in. 

Archived