Is Rowett's style boring?

GadFly

Is Rowett's style of play boring?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/05/2018 at 14:55, Alpha said:

2014/15 season average possession 

Derby 55%. 

Shots per game 13.

Goals 85.

More shots, more goals and just 55% of the ball? 

Now I remember plenty of thrillers. 5-0 wins, 4-4 draws, 3-2 from 0-2 down. Lots of thrilling games. 

And statistically it looks pretty fun too.

So are we definitely sure it's either this guaranteed success of Rowett way or, the alternative, 900 passes sideways per game with no attacks? 

Now I see that Fulham have been labelled boring. They were quite negative imo in the first leg but could it be possible that they were conscious they were in a 2 legged play off game against a counter attacking team? I mean no they weren't as exciting as our 10 men behind the ball 2nd leg display. Sure. But they did manage to win the tie and carry as much of a threat as us and more. Which is odd considering they're a super boring sideways passing team and we're all about endless creativity and constant attacking I assume?

not boring.

Beautiful.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

not boring.

Beautiful.

Anyone who feels Fulham are boring probably should watch a different sport. At this level, taking Wolves out of the equation. Fulham are as good as it gets for entertainment 

18 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That was 2013. I was there. It was actually under cloughie and all.

But it WAS beautiful.

Such a season.....?

That's the point really...even with cloughy the football was heading the right way in terms of our football...how much would i have given to see even just a smidgen of ball possession against fulham.

Our composure on the ball this season has been very poor....It's not too late gary to add a bit of this to our game,it would do our confidence no end of good and our flair players that remain would love it.

24 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

not boring.

Beautiful.

The movement and positional freedom here is exceptional. People wonder why Thorne has seemingly lost the ability to pass the ball, the answer is that finding the pass is so much easier when you have every player showing for a pass to feet. There's barely a second in this clip where Hughes isn't open to receive the football.

On 17/05/2018 at 08:32, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Did we get to the playoffs?

Start of the season most would’ve taken the playoffs as a success, now it would appear that is not good enough ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Yes after 6 games anybody would have bought into playoffs as a success! I thought that then 

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

The movement and positional freedom here is exceptional. People wonder why Thorne has seemingly lost the ability to pass the ball, the answer is that finding the pass is so much easier when you have every player showing for a pass to feet. There's barely a second in this clip where Hughes isn't open to receive the football.

It's no wonder that hughes didn't fit in at the end of last season (or martin,russell and thorne)...this sort of play is what they thrived under...I daresay it would have suited young Mr Lawrence too.

32 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Anyone who feels Fulham are boring probably should watch a different sport. At this level, taking Wolves out of the equation. Fulham are as good as it gets for entertainment 

Why should they watch a different sport?

Football is about scoring goals not having meaningless possession, although granted the other team can't score why you have possession. 

For saying how amazing Fulham allegedly were and how poor Derby allegedly were, they best us by 1 goal over 180 minutes, with their winning goal coming from a corner. 

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why should they watch a different sport?

Football is about scoring goals not having meaningless possession, although granted the other team can't score why you have possession. 

For saying how amazing Fulham allegedly were and how poor Derby allegedly were, they best us by 1 goal over 180 minutes, with their winning goal coming from a corner. 

They were in the second leg particularly though....we looked like a league 1 team under siege.....

No need though,we still have the players to take a game to Fulham if we had employed different tactics and gameplay...

Bloody shame really and it breaks my heart to see Fulham out 'derbying' us.

11 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

not boring.

Beautiful.

Clough hounded out as negative Nigel ,,,,, now his team lauded as everything we lack and should be aiming to become ,,,mmmmmmmmmmm

makes you wonder if clough team would have gone on to produce more and more of that but without the Mac 1 naivety 

19 hours ago, Andicis said:

In your opinion. 

What if I want to be scathing? Who are you to tell me what I can and can't say about Derby? 

Except it's completely different. In the first leg we got a first half goal and parked the bus, perfectly acceptable for me. Parking the bus in the second leg without even attempting to score was so risky, because Fulham score in the majority of games. If we went out for an early goal we could have killed them at 2-0 and parked the bus. 

It's pretty simple. At 2-0 down we took off a striker. Vydra was on the bench. And we didn't even play for a goal.

You literally can’t enjoy life being that angry. Criticise however you want but then don’t whinge when people pick up on how over the top scathing you’ve been. 

Honestly if you think that with this squad of players we should have had automatics or gone up ahead of Fulham then you’re on of those derby fans who think we have a divine right to be successful... I can name 5 better squads than ours in this division I’d imagine without much struggle... 

so you’re saying in the first leg it was okay to defend a one goal lead but it wasn’t okay to defend that same one goal lead in the se one leg? Okay! Makes sense. 

Pat 2-0 down Weimann missed a guilt edged chance that he should be scoring, so where does this ‘didn’t play for a goal’ nonsense come from???

1 hour ago, archied said:

Clough hounded out as negative Nigel ,,,,, now his team lauded as everything we lack and should be aiming to become ,,,mmmmmmmmmmm

makes you wonder if clough team would have gone on to produce more and more of that but without the Mac 1 naivety 

Looking back in retrospect and after witnessing a genuinely ultra cautious manager,cloughy wasn't so much after all...

Maybe he was on the verge of something great before he was let go but my feeling is that he just didn't have that little bit of magic to ignite the mix which Mac and his team did when they were brought in.

I'd have him back to be honest at this point in time,he worked well within a very limited budget and he certainly had an eye for cheap players.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Looking back in retrospect and after witnessing a genuinely ultra cautious manager,cloughy wasn't so much after all...

Maybe he was on the verge of something great before he was let go but my feeling is that he just didn't have that little bit of magic to ignite the mix which Mac and his team did when they were brought in.

I'd have him back to be honest at this point in time,he worked well within a very limited budget and he certainly had an eye for cheap players.

Mac was happy just being a coach at QPR when we hired him the first time, maybe thats what Derby should have done, bought him in to the coaching team at Derby as part of Cloughs team.

Reckon that combination would have seen us up by now.

I'm not sure I'd describe the style as boring. It's nerve-wracking at times, but ultimately even when we set up like we did against Fulham we had counter attacks. Countering at speed on the break can be just as exciting, if not more, to watch as dominating possession (I'm thinking of passing it from side to side and backwards). It's just the bits between counter attacks that has me nervous.

Its fine in theory. but if we're too slow/old/exhausted to press hard and win the ball frequently, then the number of opportunities we have to counterattack get fewer........and fewer....................until..........................................................................we're just defending.

At that point, I guess it looks boring as we're literally camped in our half shuffling slowly from side to side as a team (you can see the shape is there and we're working to maintain it) and just hoping for an opposition error so we can get the ball back.

With our lack of precision on the counterattack, we simply HAVE to be able to win the ball back much more quickly and frequently than we seem able to.

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

You will be happy when he is driven away down the A50 after this poll right. 

Aw man, don’t be quoting me when there’s a wedding on, I’m quite emotional at the moment. But can I just say while there’s a bit of a sing song going on I’m not keen on, I’m resigned to him keeping his job and don’t believe Stoke have him on their radar.

Archived