Is Rowett's style boring?

GadFly

Is Rowett's style of play boring?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

This is what I want and how ironic it's against a team which are now light years ahead of us .

20 seconds in to this. Incredible team goal. We have produced moments of quality. We need more though!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So I'll challenge you. Over the season as a whole provide me with some stats that back up what you say.

The point is that stats are nothing to do with whether a style of football is appealing to the fans or not - style is subjective, that's what you are not getting.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point is that stats are nothing to do with whether a style of football is appealing to the fans or not - style is subjective, that's what you are not getting.

I accept that not everybody finds the football attractive. Excitement is subjective.

Negative hoofball though is something that should be evidenced with stats.

Goals scored and possession stats don't seem to back up the assertion but I'm happy to see any stats that do...over to you. 

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So out of interest, what players do you think GR has purchased that are not comfortable on the ball?

Re having the ball for over a 3rd of the match please see my post which calculated an average of 48% possession for the season.

Re 48%, which is over a season and cannot be argued against, however the same site also shows that we scored a grand total of 2 goals counter attacking - stats don’t tell the whole story however I haven’t got the time to break it down as prove otherwise so what are you saying our game plan implemented was based upon them stats?

Id prefer to go for players he utilised rather than purchased, Johnson, Ledley AW, Jerome for example. 

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Re 48%, which is over a season and cannot be argued against, however the same site also shows that we scored a grand total of 2 goals counter attacking - stats don’t tell the whole story however I haven’t got the time to break it down as prove otherwise so what are you saying our game plan implemented eas?

Id prefer to go for players he utilised rather than purchased, Johnson, Ledley AW, Jerome for example. 

Sorry don't understand the point you are making in the first paragraph? Probably me being thick!

Re your second point I agree that his team selections have baffled at times but don't think we've ever been in a position where the bench has been overloaded with quality.

my personal view is that it is boring, however when you look at the over all capabilities of the team can I be any other way ?

our back four can pass it well between themselves but as soon as the ball crosses the half way line we seem devoid of ideas.

the only player with intelligence to run and make space is Nugent, however he is knackered so he can not do this often.

the forward players whose job it is to get the ball and run at defenders ie Weiman and Lawrence seem incapable of finding there own players when making a pass.

Leadley, Huddlestone and Baird are OAPs

Forsyth is devoid of confidence and makes mistakes now and his passing and crossing is generally poor other than the superb cross onto camjams head in the play offs.

Vydra comes to deep to look for the ball because he knows if he stays up top nobody has the ability to find him out.

Keough tries but I will never ever forgive him !

so how can that combination bring fast flowing attractive football ? it cant so the end result is it boring, we have to play to our strengths which unfortunately are non existent !

we are to old, if you put them in against some of these walking footballers they would shine !

3 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

Baffles me how people would rather watch us pass sideways for 90 minutes. Other than the play off final season, we've been boring to watch under Clement, Mac 2 and Pearson's dreadful spell. I like Rowetts football, I also think that counter attacking football is the best style with the players we have right now. 

That's the only alternative to Rowett's approach? Passing sideways for 90 mins? 

2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

It's mind blowing that people actually believe some fans want to see sideways passing for 90 minutes and use that as ammo as to knock those who don't like what we're getting at the moment. Are you for real? Nobody wants to see pointless, for the sake of it passing... literally nobody. Then there's the possession one that's thrown in too as if that has anything at all to do with how people want to watch their team. What GR sold at the start of the season I can get onboard with, he's not quite executed it all year and that's why I have issues. Will he get time from me to get it right? Of course, more than happy for him to have another season but I want to see our performances moving in the right direction.

I wouldn't say it's boring, more frustrating. 

@Boycie Your comments another myth too pal, plenty of people bringing this subject up when we've won this year. The Hull 5-0 a great example. How does a result like that split the fan base? Because people have had issues with how we play since day 1. And whilst they've had "we won 5-0, are you a Forest fan", "we're second, how can you be a Derby fan", "we're in the top 6 you *******" rammed back down their throats all year it turns out in the end that actually there are a few issues come season end. 

It’s not a myth mate.

I was moaning early season, especially after the 5-0 home win.

I pipped down when were second and thought we had enough experience to not wobble this season.

I was mardy again in Jan.

So there! ?

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I accept that not everybody finds the football attractive. Excitement is subjective.

Negative hoofball though is something that should be evidenced with stats.

Goals scored and possession stats don't seem to back up the assertion but I'm happy to see any stats that do...over to you. 

It's a thread entitled 'Is Rowett's *style* boring' - nowt to do with stats, geddit?

3 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

Baffles me how people would rather watch us pass sideways for 90 minutes. Other than the play off final season, we've been boring to watch under Clement, Mac 2 and Pearson's dreadful spell. I like Rowetts football, I also think that counter attacking football is the best style with the players we have right now. 

We’ve scored two goals on the break all season 

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

We’ve scored two goals on the break all season 

How is "on the break" defined there?. Serious question because I'm sure I saw a lot more than that. When does counter-attack become a break?

We all know how pointless assist stats can be.

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sorry don't understand the point you are making in the first paragraph? Probably me being thick!

Re your second point I agree that his team selections have baffled at times but don't think we've ever been in a position where the bench has been overloaded with quality.

Sorry the first part was hurried and poorly worded.  My point was trying to be around us only scoring 2 goals on the counter and therefore stats not showing everything.  However, on reflection it’s an argument that would probably do round in circles so please ignore.

Mostly boring with the rare dose of mildly exciting in the occasional game when we have a good break(counter attack if you will) but constantly "bang my head against the wall" infuriating when I see talented players tied to lump the ball tactics, instead of utilising their God given skills, to pass on the floor to each other and play the beautiful game.

Please Gary,just have a go at allowing the players to have a go at that, a-la Fulham and the like and a lot of people will be so much happier with you.

For me the style has been very hit and miss, there are times where we have looked very good and dangerous, others slow, cautious and unadventurous. Sometimes in the same game.

Most games looks like we do not have the staying power to go and press/ counter teams for 90 mins, and when that happens we drop off and let them have the ball.

There have been a few games where we have kept the ball and preserved our energy levels that way. The Villa home game sticks out, the last 5-10 minutes when we had Martin and Thorne on where they were passing in triangles with Huddlestone and Wisdom was brilliant to watch and you could see Villa just dropped after that. It would be nice to do that more often but we do not have enough "footballers" who look for the football, who want to get on the ball and look after it. We have to many where there first thought it is to run, and normally away from where the ball is. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's a thread entitled 'Is Rowett's *style* boring' - nowt to do with stats, geddit?

Yep fully get it, I was debating with someone about what they classed as exciting football, and what they classed as negative hoofball. At this point you chose to join the debate.

I believed that you may have something to add but it appears not...no surprise there.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yep fully get it, I was debating with someone about what they classed as exciting football, and what they classed as negative hoofball. At this point you chose to join the debate.

You were arguing semantics - hoofball or long ball - why not ask which is the better style, rather than having to resort to stats which prove nothing in this context! 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You were arguing semantics - hoofball or long ball - why not ask which is the better style, rather than having to resort to stats which prove nothing in this context! 

Scoring goals doesn't prove we are not a negative team?

48% possession doesn't prove we are not a negative hoofball team. 

Asking which is the better style is once again subjective. Some people will be  excited as going from one end of the pitch to the other in 10 seconds, others would prefer 10 minutes with 1000 passes.

4 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

if Rams fans want to watch us pass sideways for 90 mins , then the sooner Jacob Butterfield gets back the better

Archived