Is Rowett's style boring?

GadFly

Is Rowett's style of play boring?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

As fans, we’d love nothing more than Rowett to bring in Bogle and Thomas, and buy three or four U23 players to put in the first team.

Ok so ge doea that, the style is more pleasing, but we’re down in 14th. As fans we can accept this as we can understand the need for a rebuild.

But our triggerhappy owner who is desperate for promotion so he can earn back all he has wasted has zero patience. A man who sacked Clement when 5th, sacked mac after going from 22nd to 8th, sacked Pearson after 9 games.

Mel isn’t happy. We’ve played well but our young hungry team just lost 2-0 at Ipswich. Rowett is sacked as a result...

Put yourself in Rowett’s shoes. Was it worth it? Answer... Clearly not. He mayaswell just have gone all out for promotion, signing players who have been there and done it like Hudds, Daviea and Jerome.

Ancelotti once said. Why should I play the youth when I’m in danger of being sacked if we lose... Or along those lines.

Isn’t Rowett in exactly the same boat with triggerhappy Mel as his employer?

I think if Mel can see the direction we are going and it is forward, in a positive way then he will be willing to be patient. Under Clement the direction wasn't there, he lost his way which caused the team to also. Pearson it was clear that we were struggling and he made the quick decision to end it, Mac 2 seems a panic sacking/sacking of opportunity to get Rowett in. 

Mel will not grumble at cutting cost with a young team that is improving. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Against Fulham in the playoffs, how many shots on target did we have, and how much possession did we have? I think that answers my opinion on Rowett's style of football. If we were served this football by a less trendy manager, the results would be a lot different I would say. Rowett tells jokes and wears trainers so he gets leeway other managers never got.

In my opinion, his style is completely naff. For example, playing against a bottom half side, what if they decide to park the bus against us? Then the style totally falls down because we're not good enough in attack to break these teams down. Hence why we fell from second to sixth. The only period of form we had this season was due to the other teams underestimating us, as soon as they played with any respect we plummeted. 

I think the second paragraph is a load of ******** if I’m honest. We finished 6th in the league after 46 games and after spending 44 days in second. Id say for that to happen we’d have had to have beaten a fair few bottom half league sides... 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Jesus christ,I'm not waiting that long for him to go....2019/20!....you are having a bloody laugh.

Does anyone,including his fans, seriously want to watch this sort of football until then?....

I'd rather stick a fork in my eyes.

I really can't see either the fan base or Mel putting up with Gary's brand of football, if it doesn't radically change....the crowds will drop so much,Mel will have to act.

I think the people defending him are expecting his football to evolve rather than us being served up the same old. I think they have a fair point in believing that could be the case due to the switch to 343 which halted the rot. This shows a willingness to change rather than being shackled to a single system. 

Personally im of the view that he isn’t going anywhere so whether I think he’s the right or wrong manager I should get behind him and cling on to the hope that he’ll deliver a younger, fitter squad for the beginning of next season who have the legs to follow his instructions.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think the second paragraph is a load of ******** if I’m honest. We finished 6th in the league after 46 games and after spending 44 days in second. Id say for that to happen we’d have had to have beaten a fair few bottom half league sides... 

Well done for managing to respond to me whilst totally and utterly missing my point. Did you miss the part where I said ''other than the period of good form'' after Christmas, we did not have top 6 form. Not even close to top 6 form. The points we picked up were due to a period of not being respected by the opposition, once they treated us like we were a good side we dropped like a stone. Didn't we lose to Sunderland, Burton etc after Christmas? Why is it ********? Have you a single reason? If we were good enough at beating those sides we could have been on for autos, but like I said after Christmas we couldn't and that's exactly why we scraped 6th place on the last day, despite being clear second place at Christmas time. 

Boring, negative and too frightened to take risks in possession.

It was strange to see a club like Birmingham apparently self-harm and sack Rowett when he was objectively doing a decent job, results wise.  But now that I'm familiar with Rowett's footballing philosophy, it makes sense. It was act of desperation from a club that simply couldn't take being bored to tears anymore.

Mind you, they overreacted and appointed a manager in Zola unsuited to the players Rowett had been managing and they fell down the league as a result.  But at least I understand why they did it now. 

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

Some twitter rumours saying West Ham are interested in talking to our Gary...

Well I was waiting for the post from the missing one that tells us how lucky we are and how they have stayed away to reflect on the performance to miss all the negativity blah blah before I signed off for the summer.

However after seeing this post and with the ears post that’s me done,it really is silly season.  Look forward to signing on in the pre season, after England have won the WC, with fresh hope, have a good one all ?

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

2014/15 season average possession 

Derby 55%. 

Shots per game 13.

Goals 85.

More shots, more goals and just 55% of the ball? 

Now I remember plenty of thrillers. 5-0 wins, 4-4 draws, 3-2 from 0-2 down. Lots of thrilling games. 

And statistically it looks pretty fun too.

So are we definitely sure it's either this guaranteed success of Rowett way or, the alternative, 900 passes sideways per game with no attacks? 

Now I see that Fulham have been labelled boring. They were quite negative imo in the first leg but could it be possible that they were conscious they were in a 2 legged play off game against a counter attacking team? I mean no they weren't as exciting as our 10 men behind the ball 2nd leg display. Sure. But they did manage to win the tie and carry as much of a threat as us and more. Which is odd considering they're a super boring sideways passing team and we're all about endless creativity and constant attacking I assume?

Every time this debate comes up, this should be reposted. It's got everything needed to win it, hands down.

20 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Boring, negative and too frightened to take risks in possession.

It was strange to see a club like Birmingham apparently self-harm and sack Rowett when he was objectively doing a decent job, results wise.  But now that I'm familiar with Rowett's footballing philosophy, it makes sense. It was act of desperation from a club that simply couldn't take being bored to tears anymore.

Mind you, they overreacted and appointed a manager in Zola unsuited to the players Rowett had been managing and they fell down the league as a result.  But at least I understand why they did it now. 

I thought exactly the same...when Gary first came here i thought what a scoop,those brummies must be mental to let him go,he's going to be our very own savior.

Then I saw how gary got our team playing,saw him sell off our talented players and it dawned on me that I had made a big, big mistake....watching a few Birmingham city videos when rowett was in charge brought me out in a cold sweat as it confirmed my fears....this is how Gary's manages and sets the team up to play....It's actually on purpose.

oh ********..

5 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Find Fulhams styles and derbys style under mcclaren as boring.

slow possession based, forces other team to get 10 behind the ball, no space , to create any chances what so ever.

What about all they chances they did create? 

19 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

Boring - no, Frustrating - yes. I love us being solid defensively and how quick we can break on the counter. The problem is to pull this counter attacking football off you need extremely hard working, quick players who are clinical in attack. At the moment we've not got that team due to a mismatch of player styles from previous managers; hence the inconsistent performances and occasionally frustrating watch. 

Spot on

12 hours ago, Andicis said:

Well done for managing to respond to me whilst totally and utterly missing my point. Did you miss the part where I said ''other than the period of good form'' after Christmas, we did not have top 6 form. Not even close to top 6 form. The points we picked up were due to a period of not being respected by the opposition, once they treated us like we were a good side we dropped like a stone. Didn't we lose to Sunderland, Burton etc after Christmas? Why is it ********? Have you a single reason? If we were good enough at beating those sides we could have been on for autos, but like I said after Christmas we couldn't and that's exactly why we scraped 6th place on the last day, despite being clear second place at Christmas time. 

Did Cardiff, Villa, Barnsley and Fulham (first leg) go back to 'disrespecting' us leading to our upturn in fortune? Nonsense and lots of it. 

As I've mentioned before, I'm probably more on the side of anti-rowett than pro-rowett but every one of your posts is littered with toxicity and negativity. You look to constantly criticise without any praise. 'Other than the period of good form'? You mean 'the run that took us from nowhere to 2nd', 'the run that went from October/November to January'? Would it really take teams 2/3 months to 'work us out'? Would beating Hull 5-0 (regardless of our thoughts on the actual performance) not have made some teams sit up and take note?  

I get not being happy with this season, I get not enjoying some of the football but I've never noticed you as a poster until the play off defeat and you're in probably the 3 most negative posters on this forum. Some valid points made but drowned by absolutely biased, opposite to rose tinted, ramblings. 

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

every one of your posts is littered with toxicity and negativity.

Sounds like someone who hasn't read a lot of my posts. 

You look to constantly criticise without any praise

Because I have little to praise Rowett for, he has an old journeyman squad who are going to decline in ability each season, therefore ensuring he must perform this season, and yet they have failed to perform, so that is a whole lot of sunk cash we're never getting back to reinvest in the squad on big wages. 

Would beating Hull 5-0 (regardless of our thoughts on the actual performance) not have made some teams sit up and take note? 

No, because they were relegation fodder known to have a shocking defense, plus the home league game before that we were spanked by Bristol City. 

you're in probably the 3 most negative posters on this forum

What an honour. Negative isn't even a criticism for me, you haven't seen me attacking all the players, or Mel, just one person, so I'm not sure how I'm so negative because I verbalise that I want the manager out. In fact, my posts before the second leg and after the first were positive, we played that leg well. But I guess that doesn't fit the narrative of me that you're trying to paint.

Some valid points made but drowned by absolutely biased, opposite to rose tinted, ramblings. 

Every person on the planet speaks with bias, whether you want to admit that or not, odd criticism. 

47 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sounds like someone who hasn't read a lot of my posts. 

Because I have little to praise Rowett for, he has an old journeyman squad who are going to decline in ability each season, therefore ensuring he must perform this season, and yet they have failed to perform, so that is a whole lot of sunk cash we're never getting back to reinvest in the squad on big wages. 

No, because they were relegation fodder known to have a shocking defense, plus the home league game before that we were spanked by Bristol City. 

What an honour. Negative isn't even a criticism for me, you haven't seen me attacking all the players, or Mel, just one person, so I'm not sure how I'm so negative because I verbalise that I want the manager out. In fact, my posts before the second leg and after the first were positive, we played that leg well. But I guess that doesn't fit the narrative of me that you're trying to paint.

Every person on the planet speaks with bias, whether you want to admit that or not, odd criticism. 

Its the sound of someone who has started noticing 2/3 severely negative posters since the end of the season. You can be critical and constructive without being scathing. 

We played no differently in the legs... First half in both matches created half chances, in the first match we scored one of those half chances. 

Second half of both matches, caused ourselves problems by playing too deep (until we were 2-0 down) so I can't fathom the swing between your feelings after the 1st leg and now... 

Every person speaks with some bias. This is more than that. It's like every post has to be a scathing criticism of him. He might not be the one to take us forwards but with this group of players this season has hardly been a failure.  

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

but with this group of players this season has hardly been a failure.  

In your opinion. 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Its the sound of someone who has started noticing 2/3 severely negative posters since the end of the season. You can be critical and constructive without being scathing. 

What if I want to be scathing? Who are you to tell me what I can and can't say about Derby? 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We played no differently in the legs... First half in both matches created half chances, in the first match we scored one of those half chances. 

Except it's completely different. In the first leg we got a first half goal and parked the bus, perfectly acceptable for me. Parking the bus in the second leg without even attempting to score was so risky, because Fulham score in the majority of games. If we went out for an early goal we could have killed them at 2-0 and parked the bus. 

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

so I can't fathom the swing between your feelings after the 1st leg and now... 

It's pretty simple. At 2-0 down we took off a striker. Vydra was on the bench. And we didn't even play for a goal.

Archived