Is Rowett's style boring?

GadFly

Is Rowett's style of play boring?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Scoring goals doesn't prove we are not a negative team?

48% possession doesn't prove we are not a negative hoofball team. 

Asking which is the better style is once again subjective. Some people will be  excited as going from one end of the pitch to the other in 10 seconds, others would prefer 10 minutes with 1000 passes.

I don’t think it’s either/or. It’s people don’t want to see us camped in our half until we can hoof the ball in the channels. I’m guessing they don’t want to see Arsenal esk passing football either (I don’t). It’s the current style that is being challenged and as you like stats the poll is comfirming my opinion. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fans chanting Rowett's name at both games don't seem to share the opinion of an unrepresentative poll.

So I know it will be a bit of a downer for you guys, but as long as the fans at the game keep chanting GR's B&W Army he's going nowhere!

5 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I don’t think it’s either/or. It’s people don’t want to see us camped in our half until we can hoof the ball in the channels. I’m guessing they don’t want to see Arsenal esk passing football either (I don’t). It’s the current style that is being challenged and as you like stats the poll is comfirming my opinion. 

Yes that's fair comment and I'm sure there must be stats out there that should confirm that the ball spends majority of the time in out half?

The poll does confirm your opinion but I'd also say this forum over this season has showed that posters much prefer to air a negative opinion rather than a positive one.

I was, and still am, very tempted to log out and not come back until August and wouldn't be surprised if there are a few others who have done the same.. 

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes that's fair comment and I'm sure there must be stats out there that should confirm that the ball spends majority of the time in out half?

The poll does confirm your opinion but I'd also say this forum over this season has showed that posters much prefer to air a negative opinion rather than a positive one.

I was, and still am, very tempted to log out and not come back until August and wouldn't be surprised if there are a few others who have done the same.. 

I think posters are negative as they are dissatisfied with what has been served up, even if we had finished 8th but enjoyed the football then I think it would be different. 

Why log out where’s the fun in that! It’s all about opinions, at the end of the day we’re all Derby and no one is right or wrong, we just expect different things. 

Against Fulham in the playoffs, how many shots on target did we have, and how much possession did we have? I think that answers my opinion on Rowett's style of football. If we were served this football by a less trendy manager, the results would be a lot different I would say. Rowett tells jokes and wears trainers so he gets leeway other managers never got.

In my opinion, his style is completely naff. For example, playing against a bottom half side, what if they decide to park the bus against us? Then the style totally falls down because we're not good enough in attack to break these teams down. Hence why we fell from second to sixth. The only period of form we had this season was due to the other teams underestimating us, as soon as they played with any respect we plummeted. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

That's the only alternative to Rowett's approach? Passing sideways for 90 mins? 

No, but for all the plaudits about Fulham's football, on Friday they made 702 passes and amassed 2 shots on target. The definition of many MAC1 matches, once other teams had worked out how to beat us.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

With a bit of luck and better finishing we would have scored more than 1 in the first leg.

With better finishing Weimann would have scored in the second leg.

Despite this supposed battering, Fulham beat us by 1 goal over 180 minutes of football. 

They scored 2 goals to our 1 so what made them so creative? As I remember it they scored from a cross and a corner. 

Come on G Star - for three quarters of the two legs it was like the Alamo; they dominated possession, shots on target, shots off target and for long periods we were hanging on for dear life. In contrast we created 2 chances over the 2 games. That is a dreadful statistic and symptomatic of why Rams fans like me cannot bear the thought of more of the same next season.

I get that you are reasonably happy with GR and where we finished, but I honestly believe the 6th place will be Rowetts high water mark at the club. With the downturn in investment and cost cutting coming the teams way I honestly think we will spend the next 3-5 years in lower mid table.

Despite what some say football is not just a results business; it’s an entertainment business too and if I’m not being entertained I’m not spending my hard earned money on it, simple as that. I suspect more than a few Rams fans feel the same way too.

19 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

No, but for all the plaudits about Fulham's football, on Friday they made 702 passes and amassed 2 shots on target. The definition of many MAC1 matches, once other teams had worked out how to beat us.

If it was that easy to defend against how come we lost the second leg then?

Funny how it’s an unrepresentative poll when it doesn’t give the statistics required by some. 

It’s a poll gauging opinion of users of this forum FFS,  it’s really not that important enough for dummy spitting or taking personally because Saint Gary isn’t coming out of it looking good. 

All those at work currently have got to have their say yet if they can be arsed, he’ll pick up some votes there no doubt. Dear dear. 

14 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Funny how it’s an unrepresentative poll when it doesn’t give the statistics required by some. 

It’s a poll gauging opinion of users of this forum FFS,  it’s really not that important enough for dummy spitting or taking personally because Saint Gary isn’t coming out of it looking good. 

All those at work currently have got to have their say yet if they can be arsed, he’ll pick up some votes there no doubt. Dear dear. 

Saint Gary v Mac the messiah,,,,,,,, ,, , world wrestling heavyweight championship bout ,roll up roll up grapple fans

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

See I don't remember us playing anything like Fulham. We used to get 50-60% possession and make well under 700 passes per game. We averaged about 50-53% under Mac I think.

For saying teams figured out how to beat us we still finished with more points in both seasons than this season. 

People keep talking ********.

"Uh I'd rather this than 90 minutes of sideways passing" 

It's ********.

Clement played like that. Not Mac. Not Wassall. 

37 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Find Fulhams styles and derbys style under mcclaren as boring.

slow possession based, forces other team to get 10 behind the ball, no space , to create any chances what so ever.

They are nothing alike. As I've proved with stats in the past and I can provide again if you wish. But you usually vanish and post the same tripe in another thread. 

Gary Rowett averages what? 48% possession. Mac was about 52% i think. 

52%. We got more points too. In 13/14 and 14/15. In 14/15 We scored 85 goals in the league. With no chances you say?

Talking out your arse. 

2014/15 season average possession 

Derby 55%. 

Shots per game 13.

Goals 85.

More shots, more goals and just 55% of the ball? 

Now I remember plenty of thrillers. 5-0 wins, 4-4 draws, 3-2 from 0-2 down. Lots of thrilling games. 

And statistically it looks pretty fun too.

So are we definitely sure it's either this guaranteed success of Rowett way or, the alternative, 900 passes sideways per game with no attacks? 

Now I see that Fulham have been labelled boring. They were quite negative imo in the first leg but could it be possible that they were conscious they were in a 2 legged play off game against a counter attacking team? I mean no they weren't as exciting as our 10 men behind the ball 2nd leg display. Sure. But they did manage to win the tie and carry as much of a threat as us and more. Which is odd considering they're a super boring sideways passing team and we're all about endless creativity and constant attacking I assume?

Rowett’s football this season has been horrible to watch, but that’s largely due to the players at his disposal.

I mean, the 343 system can be excellent, but like any system it requires having the right players which we don’t have.

I honestly prefer to see us dominate the ball. We make no attempt to do this as Carson boots it long every time.

We try to break up play, and counter with pace. The reason it looks so tedius is because we can’t do it very well.

There is zero mobility in midfield. BJ and Hudds can’t press. You need pace and a player who can tackle here, like a Kante type.

We lack genuine wingbacks, especially on the left. Wisdom is more of a CB playing out of position.

And in the final third we’re mostly rubbish. Weimann has no quality on the ball and Lawrence has been crap for 90% of the campaign.

Going back to point, it can be exciting to watch. With a fitter, more mobile team we would break up play more often and counter with better quality. We just don’t have anywhere near the players to do that.

And considering we don’t have much money, it could take us 3 or 4 years for Rowett to get close to the sort of team capable of entertaining. 

I’m happy to write off next year. 2019-20 is the start of it for me as most of our duffs are out of contract in the summer of 2019. Then it will give us a big clue as to Rowett’s intentions. If we give BJ a new contract or continue to sign ageing, slow players then Rowett can simply do one.

19 minutes ago, Alpha said:

They are nothing alike. As I've proved with stats in the past and I can provide again if you wish. But you usually vanish and post the same tripe in another thread. 

Gary Rowett averages what? 48% possession. Mac was about 52% i think. 

52%. We got more points too. In 13/14 and 14/15. In 14/15 We scored 85 goals in the league. With no chances you say?

Talking out your arse. 

McClaren 1st spell was consistsntly around 70% in the games i saw and the bbc stats i read from match reports so its not tripe.

i also found talk of patience and it being a full back game infuriating.

20 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

McClaren 1st spell was consistsntly around 70% in the games i saw and the bbc stats i read from match reports so its not tripe.

i also found talk of patience and it being a full back game infuriating.

Maybe you could use the below to find these games you are talking about, maybe you remember different games to the ones that were played?

http://www.squawka.com/teams/derby-county/stats#possession%23english-football-league---championship%23season-2013/2014%2393%23all-matches%2324-25%23

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

If it was that easy to defend against how come we lost the second leg then?

Where did I say it was easy?

We lost becase of tiredness and Hudds wasn't allowed to dictate our play as he did in the first.

51 minutes ago, Alpha said:

See I don't remember us playing anything like Fulham. We used to get 50-60% possession and make well under 700 passes per game. We averaged about 50-53% under Mac I think.

For saying teams figured out how to beat us we still finished with more points in both seasons than this season. 

People keep talking ********.

"Uh I'd rather this than 90 minutes of sideways passing" 

It's ********.

Clement played like that. Not Mac. Not Wassall. 

You OK hun?

An interesting selection of some of our best wins under that McClaren bloke where we just tediously passed it around the back for most of the game, dominating possession but boring our supporters to death...

Derby 5-0 Forest

Possession %: 43:57

Derby 5-0 Wolves

Possession %: 52:48

Derby 5-1 Fulham

Possession %: 47:53

Fulham 2-5 Derby:

Possession %: 47:53

Derby 4-1 Brighton

Possession %: 54:46

Watford 1-2 Derby

Possession %: 47-53

Reading 0-3 Derby 

Possession %: 49:51

Ipswich 0-1 Derby (Against a Mick McCarthy team!)

Possession %: 52:48

Birmingham 0-4 Derby (Against Rowett's Brum)

Possession %: 44:56

Cardiff 0-2 Derby

Possession %: 48:52

Archived