Is Rowett's style boring?

GadFly

Is Rowett's style of play boring?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If executed properly, I don't think it's boring.

I'd rather watch fast pace counter attacking football than pointless possession football. 

Bang on... whisper it quietly but "McClaren's Football", when poorly executed, was boring too...

Whatever style is employed, it's up to the players to execute it correctly - Rowett's job now is to try and cut the wage bill whilst improving the quality/consistency in the final third.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clarkeram7

Baffles me how people would rather watch us pass sideways for 90 minutes. Other than the play off final season, we've been boring to watch under Clement, Mac 2 and Pearson's dreadful spell. I like Rowetts football, I also think that counter attacking football is the best style with the players we have right now. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If executed properly, I don't think it's boring.

I'd rather watch fast pace counter attacking football than pointless possession football. 

What he said ,if we had better quality in the final third and a more mobile midfield I could live with it .

Thinking about it Rowett wouldn't get the counter attacking bit can you have counter defending?

21 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Baffles me how people would rather watch us pass sideways for 90 minutes. Other than the play off final season, we've been boring to watch under Clement, Mac 2 and Pearson's dreadful spell. I like Rowetts football, I also think that counter attacking football is the best style with the players we have right now. 

Don't see how Mac 2 can be included with these - if you didn't spot the difference one has to wonder.

Passing well in the opposition half was a hall mark of Mac and its what we do so poorly now.

24 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Surley watching your own team with the ball is better than watching the opposition, 30% possession at home and a handful of shots.  It’s not like we counter attack at pace, we play the balls into channels for CJ to run onto, it doesn’t even involve quick interchanging passing. 

I think throughout the 180 minutes against Fulham we had one move that resulted in the goal that got me off my seat, the rest of the time was watching them pass and move our team around whilst we chased the ball.  GRs teams play horrible, tedious, and a boring game that I am reluctant to call football simply based on the fact that we hardly ever see it.

Yes it is boring. Rowett demonstrates everything that is wrong with English football with his prehistoric way of approaching a game.  People would be more accepting of him if he just came out and admitted that he is a Tony pulis follower rather than lying by saying that he tries to set us his teams like Klopp as he is a fan of his football.

11 minutes ago, Anon said:

I wasn't aware Murdoch invented the idea of passing to feet.

Isn't putting the ball in front of your fast players a better idea than giving it them to their feet?

Would you rather see Weimann running on to a ball or being given it to his feet with his back to goal?

In Huddlestone do we not have one of the best passers of a football in the division? 

We had a player named Jacob Butterfield last season, very rarely gave the ball away and always pased to feet...imagine he was a big hit with the fans?

It's mind blowing that people actually believe some fans want to see sideways passing for 90 minutes and use that as ammo as to knock those who don't like what we're getting at the moment. Are you for real? Nobody wants to see pointless, for the sake of it passing... literally nobody. Then there's the possession one that's thrown in too as if that has anything at all to do with how people want to watch their team. What GR sold at the start of the season I can get onboard with, he's not quite executed it all year and that's why I have issues. Will he get time from me to get it right? Of course, more than happy for him to have another season but I want to see our performances moving in the right direction.

I wouldn't say it's boring, more frustrating. 

@Boycie Your comments another myth too pal, plenty of people bringing this subject up when we've won this year. The Hull 5-0 a great example. How does a result like that split the fan base? Because people have had issues with how we play since day 1. And whilst they've had "we won 5-0, are you a Forest fan", "we're second, how can you be a Derby fan", "we're in the top 6 you *******" rammed back down their throats all year it turns out in the end that actually there are a few issues come season end. 

IMO....

8/10 for effectiveness

4/10 for entertainment

Whether that makes you happy or not entirely depends on which is most important to you.

I was listenting to 5live last night and they were talking about the Allardyce sacking, saying that Everton fans don't care really if they finish 8th or 13th in the Prem. They just want to be entertained and would rather lose in a thrilling 4-3 than have a dull 0-0.

I can understand that in the Prem, where if you're not in serious contention to win anything & consistently mid-table, then entertainment is all you have to cling to.

What a lot of our posters seem to demand is both results and entertainment at the same time. Incredibly difficult to achieve in this league.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Isn't putting the ball in front of your fast players a better idea than giving it them to their feet?

Would you rather see Weimann running on to a ball or being given it to his feet with his back to goal?

In Huddlestone do we not have one of the best passers of a football in the division? 

We had a player named Jacob Butterfield last season, very rarely gave the ball away and always pased to feet...imagine he was a big hit with the fans?

Rowett is the one deciding what players are signed. If he doesn't have players comfortable playing anything other than kick and rush, that's his fault.

Butterfield's passing ability is the strongest area of his game. That's not a problem. His poor positioning, inability to tackle, and the fact he's so risk averse are the problems. It drives me mad when people start grumbling if a midfielder has the temerity to pass to a centre back. That's Sunday league mentality.

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We had a player called Will Hughes as well, why not pick him as an example ?

I can’t say it’s boring ( Clements was ) but it has not been enjoyable but in reality we have been playing with reserves who weren’t good enough to get in the team ahead of Ince Russell and we have not selected a forward playing central midfielder and a main forward who can’t control a football because we have been basically hitting the ball in behind full backs and hoping to get on the end of it which has been very disappointing 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did you honestly find Fulhams play exciting?

Their play in the first leg reminded me of Paul Clement days.

With a bit of luck and better finishing they would have beaten us 3-1 in the first leg. They absolutely battered us for 3 of the 4 halves of football and made us look utterly pedestrian. So yes, I did find their football exciting - I like watching teams that move the ball around and have a good level of creativity rather than the ‘sit deep and hit them on the break’ rubbish we endure every single bloody game.

I’ll tell you what - Fulham and Villa contesting the playoff final is a victory for football. Rowett should watch it -  he might then understand why football is called the beautiful game.

Archived