Jacob Butterfield

TuffLuff

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What I'm taking from this thread is that people aren't sticking up for Bradley Johnson being better than a dog. 

Shame on you. 

I love dogs. When my girl Honey was still around, I wrote a similar article calling for Jay McEveley to be dropped in favour of Honey.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What I'm taking from this thread is that people aren't sticking up for Bradley Johnson being better than a dog. 

Shame on you. 

I gave up and came to the conclusion you are in the same club as those listed below

Alpha Johnson

B4 Blackman

Ninos Martin

RoyMac Rowett

everyone has a blind spot/soft spot for certain players/managers

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

I love dogs. When my girl Honey was still around, I wrote a similar article calling for Jay McEveley to be dropped in favour of Honey.

Jay Mac's positioning made it look like he needed a dog with him at least. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Jay Mac's positioning made it look like he needed a dog with him at least. 

The memory of him I most have etched in my mind is him scoring the the winner in two consecutive FA Cup rounds and both times ITV called him ‘Lee’

58 minutes ago, cannable said:

The memory of him I most have etched in my mind is him scoring the the winner in two consecutive FA Cup rounds and both times ITV called him ‘Lee’

Not how he'd want to be remembered!

I remember Nathan Dyer getting him sent off and his reaction being like a toddler.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

surely the major memory has got to be when he started 'knee-gate'?

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

And how does he deal with pass backs?

Think it through!

Ok will just pause for thought

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

I gave up and came to the conclusion you are in the same club as those listed below

Alpha Johnson

B4 Blackman

Ninos Martin

RoyMac Rowett

everyone has a blind spot/soft spot for certain players/managers

I haven't - I don't like any of 'em....

23 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Nope. I think there is a good footballer in him somewhere, but his confidence has been destroyed at both clubs and I can't see a future under Rowett for him. I think a team like Brentford might suit him.

He needs to go to a team who consistently play good football IMO.

6 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Having Butterfield on the pitch felt like playing with 10 men for 90mins. 

One of the most passive players I've seen. 

And when we started with Bent as well it was like having just 9 men

Statistically, in his 2 seasons at Derby Butterfield was an above average championship midfielder. Better in his first than second. He definitely went missing in some games but every player does in this league.

He's been woeful, in every sense, for Wednesday (and us at the start of the year).

For a guide to whoscored scores:
Low 6: Poor 
Mid 6: Average.
High 6: Above Average.   
Players in the 7s are some of the best performers in the league (usually), there's usually 5 or so on a top 10 team (Wolves this season have 8 ). Anyone who manages to get below a 6 (something I'm not sure is possible) would be properly shocking.

image.png.481c8aebe54a40449b054e8d6ca723e3.png

Obviously, stats dont tell the whole story but its usually a decent guideline on how they're playing compared to other players. And it can be quite good at identifying players being over or under criticized. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Statistically, in his 2 seasons at Derby Butterfield was an above average championship midfielder. Better in his first than second. He definitely went missing in some games but every player does in this league.

He's been woeful, in every sense, for Wednesday (and us at the start of the year).

Players in the 7s are some of the best performers in the league (usually), there's usually 5 or so on a top 10 team (Wolves this season have 8 ). Anyone who manages to get below a 6 (something I've not seen) is properly shocking.

Obviously, stats dont tell the whole story but its usually a decent guideline on how they're playing compared to other players. And it can be quite good at identifying players being over or under criticized. 

Quite telling is the drop when he left Huddersfield. Never got such role with us, which IMO was a huge waste of potential. 

Small things matter, Liverpool's attack is nowadays better than with Coutinho. Just because Firmino gets more time with the ball and higher up the pitch. It's all about roles. Vydra is another perfect example.

25 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Players in the 7s are some of the best performers in the league (usually), there's usually 5 or so on a top 10 team (Wolves this season have 8 ). Anyone who manages to get below a 6 (something I'm not sure is possible) would be properly shocking.

There would be a fair number of Rams players with an poor averages since Xmas.  Doubt Jacobs performances at Sheff Wed are much worse than some of the shower currently at DCFC. Perhaps the unrealistic price tag has been a factor in Butterfield's disappointing time at Derby? Just an observation. 

10 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Those stats look quite interesting and certainly fit the qualitative narrative of great excitement when we signed him (plus I think he got a few mentions in that pre seasons wish list of players we should go for).

interesting that his best rating came in a season where he only made 5 appearances. Perhaps he’s only good in small doses!

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Those stats look quite interesting and certainly fit the qualitative narrative of great excitement when we signed him (plus I think he got a few mentions in that pre seasons wish list of players we should go for).

interesting that his best rating came in a season where he only made 5 appearances. Perhaps he’s only good in small doses!

Lol. I guess the obvs question is where did he play for Huddersfield and where for us and if they're different then ...

12 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Didn’t realise he’d played so little at Wednesday, and when looking at the games he played there, it appears it was while they had their best players injured. Man of the match in a win at Villa by the looks of it but little else to shout about. Signed it seems to sit on their bench. Bet he regrets that move massively and probably burnt bridges here. 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Butterfield played his best for a club who were only looking to survive in the championship if he was still at Huddersfield I doubt Wagner would have used him very much 

Disagree with that. He came here and was a key component of the side who were top of the league at Xmas. Won us games by himself.

He suffered once Hughes and Bryson returned, he had to take turns to play, as did they, under a succession of managers. Not ideal for any of them.

15 hours ago, SaintRam said:

If 7's are classed as high performing, then those Huddersfield stats certainly highlight why we went in for him when Hughes & Bryson went down - 6 goals, 8 assists & 7.25 rating all boded well...

Archived