Jacob Butterfield

TuffLuff

It’s on the official Wednesday site that he won’t be retained after the loan (I’m with a Wednesday mate atm). No surprise but interesting if it affects Winnall and I guess the next stage for him

FWIW, he ain’t a bad footballer. Needs to go to a team though where they’ll play in the right position, but I presume he won’t be hanging around at Pride Park

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s on the official Wednesday site that he won’t be retained after the loan (I’m with a Wednesday mate atm). No surprise but interesting if it affects Winnall and I guess the next stage for him

FWIW, he ain’t a bad footballer. Needs to go to a team though where they’ll play in the right position, but I presume he won’t be hanging around at Pride Park

Nope. I think there is a good footballer in him somewhere, but his confidence has been destroyed at both clubs and I can't see a future under Rowett for him. I think a team like Brentford might suit him.

It'd be daft to think Butterfield will easily fit back into the Derby team. If he's ever to pull on the Derby shirt again, he will have to play better than ever for about 10 games to win fans over, which is highly unlikely. I've always liked him as a player, gets bad and unfair criticism when others don't and it's no coincidence that the collective passing accuracy had plummeted since he left. 

It's not in Sheffield Wednesday's gift to somehow "retain" him as he isn't their player. Any agreement to sign him would be done once the transfer window opened in the summer.

He was a poor buy in terms of the ridiculous price, as we rushed to find options to replace an injured Will Hughes and seemingly only had Jacob as our single target in the entirety of world football, meaning Huddersfield could name their price. And boy did they. Appalling scouting on our part.

He never fitted in. If he comes back into the fold I hope he surprises everyone and does really well, but I get the feeling we'll do everything in our power to move him on, and he'd be mad not to go if he wants to play football next season.

9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's not in Sheffield Wednesday's gift to somehow "retain" him as he isn't their player. Any agreement to sign him would be done once the transfer window opened in the summer.

He was a poor buy in terms of the ridiculous price, as we rushed to find options to replace an injured Will Hughes and seemingly only had Jacob as our single target in the entirety of world football, meaning Huddersfield could name their price. And boy did they. Appalling scouting on our part.

He never fitted in. If he comes back into the fold I hope he surprises everyone and does really well, but I get the feeling we'll do everything in our power to move him on, and he'd be mad not to go if he wants to play football next season.

I think he should've been allowed a Lawrence-esque freedom to do what he wants, I suspect he'd have more assists and maybe goals than Lawrence got.

56 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I think he should've been allowed a Lawrence-esque freedom to do what he wants, I suspect he'd have more assists and maybe goals than Lawrence got.

Can't imagine what that would look like considering Lawrence was given very little freedom until we changed formation three games ago.

I’ll repeat what a few have said, Butterfield hasn’t always been the worlds worst football player. The season we signed him he scored a fair few goals, most of them good strikes. He won us the game away at Hull in December 2015.

He hasn’t hit the same notes since then, but I think he still has ability hiding behind the shred of confidence that’s left. Not sure if he fits us and our style now, but people need to get realistic and stop being abusive. We need to change this culture some of our fans have. If you don’t like him as a player, I respect that opinion though.

23 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

At passing backwards and sideways no doubt.

23 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Technically he is, but I'd still take Johnson over him every day of the week. At least he'll get about the pitch and try something daring going forward. 

22 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Johnson is **** but I actually think Butterfields worse, Johnson tries to battle a bit, Butterfield can’t even do that it seems.

I feel your pain homies. 

But for me I take Butterfield's "let's all be friends" passing over Bradley's "Me kick hard, yes? I like kick" attitude. 

Personal preference. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I feel your pain homies. 

But for me I take Butterfield's "let's all be friends" passing over Bradley's "Me kick hard, yes? I like kick" attitude. 

Personal preference. 

Can you imagine a team of 11 Bradley Johnsons?

I can cope having one of him.

Archived