Jacob Butterfield

TuffLuff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think either of them are actually that bad, provided you set the team up to suit their (very, very different) styles of play. Unfortunately, we bought both of them, and tried to shoehorn them into the same team together.  And that just sums up the lack of thought and planning that's gone into our transfer policy for the last few seasons.

On his day he had the ability to make us tick. Ball retention was something else, Wolves back end of last season springs to mind. He ran the game. I remember him coming off the bench with us 2-0 down in one game, think it was Johnson or Bryson who he replaced after about 25 minutes, not sure, but again he bossed it. 

He also had that spell in his first season where he scored crackers every now and then. There was the obvious Burnley strike, unbelievable technique, but he scored the winner midweek in a drab game against Blackburn at PP which was even better. Took the ball out of the sky, killed it with one foot, buried it from 25 yards with the other. 

Despite that, and knowing I’m in the minority who rated him, I agree he didn’t ever seem to fit in. For all the good things he did, there was just as much that frustrated. He often looked not bothered. Like you wanted to give him a shake. Even when Will Hughes was having a bad one, he’d still bust a gut out there. Butterfield disappears when it’s not his game. 

After decent early reviews from Owls fans I know, they quickly described the player who played for us last season. And then the reviews became worse still. It sounds like he’s really gone backwards (not sideways). 

I don’t see GR wanting him, I don’t believe our fan base want him back, and I’d be amazed if the lad himself fancies it. Probably needs a fresh start. 

Butterfield had a greater level of control over games than Hughes 

It’s position dependent whether this is a good or bad thing

Butters starting deep and drifting forward in a three is his best position, same as Huddlestone

7 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Can you imagine a team of 11 Bradley Johnsons?

I can cope having one of him.

The closest thing out there was Ipswich Town. 

Ipswich Town that are never on the telly and nobody ever says "can't wait for the Ipswich game!"

He needs to the right set up and players around him to excell, the constant chopping and changing at Derby has not helped him as it appears the same with Russell (as per his USA quote)

he is a good player the system dosnt suit him 

9 hours ago, r4derby said:

I’ll repeat what a few have said, Butterfield hasn’t always been the worlds worst football player. The season we signed him he scored a fair few goals, most of them good strikes. He won us the game away at Hull in December 2015.

He hasn’t hit the same notes since then, but I think he still has ability hiding behind the shred of confidence that’s left. Not sure if he fits us and our style now, but people need to get realistic and stop being abusive. We need to change this culture some of our fans have. If you don’t like him as a player, I respect that opinion though.

He’s not even that now. Step forward Robbie Savage, might be retired but still.

Anyway, Butterfield was a cracking midfielder, hindsight says we overpaid massively, but at the time given the way fees were going I thought we had a real player on our hands for a decent fee.

Sticking to this as I’m sure I said it at the time as it’s true.

I’m also sure that player is still in there and under the right conditions he will go on to be a key player somewhere:

I say somewhere as he’s probably burnt his bridges with us now though and will be in a real difficult situation, we’re not the forgiving and forgetting type.

Nor does he appear to be Rowett’s type, think it was Alpha in another topic that suggested Reading as a possible destination, that would be ideal with Clement there. 

9 hours ago, philmycock said:

As I recall he made some naughty comments about us when he joined Weds on loan

Not really towards "us". Just Rowett's anti-football so exactly same thing quite a few are saying here. Of course, as a player, he shouldn't say that but he seems like a guy who doesn't give a ****...

10 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Technically he is, but I'd still take Johnson over him every day of the week. At least he'll get about the pitch and try something daring going forward. 

FWIW, I think Johnson has been a part of the decent runs we’ve had this season. He’s not technically brilliant but he’s not as bad as people like to make out on here either.

Said this in the Cardiff thread, but Johnson was the one who pushed Derby through that last 20 minutes by closing down and having some tenacity. He’s be in my 11 this season quite comfortably 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

FWIW, I think Johnson has been a part of the decent runs we’ve had this season. He’s not technically brilliant but he’s not as bad as people like to make out on here either.

Said this in the Cardiff thread, but Johnson was the one who pushed Derby through that last 20 minutes by closing down and having some tenacity. He’s be in my 11 this season quite comfortably 

Johnson had a good game against Cardiff for sure.

His first season here he was brilliant. A fair bit of revisionism going on probably from me as well at times but he scored, what, ten or so goals? And plenty of them key goals in wins.

However, he has since then had two awful, awful, awful seasons and there comes a point where you ask is that coincidence or has he just dropped off a cliff? Coupled with his comments when he left which I don’t think Rowett was too impressed with let alone many of the fans of players, as well as Elsnik, Guy, Hanson being in and around the squad hopefully, I just don’t see a place for him.

Unfortunately I’m not sure many teams will see one for him either particularly given what I imagine his wages must be.

I think the difference between my dog and Johnson is that my dog wouldn't be as good in the air but would be better closing down the ball.

Pass accuracy would be about the same. 

Archived