Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

On 19/02/2019 at 13:54, FindernRam said:

Trucks on the limiter trying to overtake another in the outside lane of a dual carriageway. 6 miles to gain one truck length it took one yesterday, then you have  a"""holes in BMWs trying to queue jump by racing up the inside and cutting in!

Should be banned-both of them. 

Ah yes, a regular topic for me (a BMW driver) and my brother (a lorry driver) when we get together.

Having said that, in these situations it is ridiculous that you often get a massive queue in the "fast" lane and nothing in the other one, when what should happen is that both lanes should be used until the point of overtaking. In the same way as when one lane is coned off and you end up with much the same situation.

21 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Ah yes, a regular topic for me (a BMW driver) and my brother (a lorry driver) when we get together.

Having said that, in these situations it is ridiculous that you often get a massive queue in the "fast" lane and nothing in the other one, when what should happen is that both lanes should be used until the point of overtaking. In the same way as when one lane is coned off and you end up with much the same situation.

So what is your brothers excuse? In Italy trucks are banned from the outside lane and it sure speeds up the lighter traffic.

33 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I regularly drive up the A1 to Normanton (the West Yorkshire one). I leave at around 0630 to get there for 0815 and I always sit at 60mph behind a lorry on cruise control. It uses less fuel and I don't need to hurry.

As the traffic builds up as I go past Doncaster there is often a long queue of cars bumper to bumper in the outside lane crawling at 30mph while I and the lorries cruise past at 40-50mph.  I cannot understand the logic of the other drivers.

I'm often beeped at for "undertaking them" and occasionally encounter somebody darting into my lane dangerously to then brake test me because I flashed my lights. 

If they all used the right lane when joining the road instead of darting automatically into the outside lane the road would move a lot more smoothly.

48 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

So what is your brothers excuse? In Italy trucks are banned from the outside lane and it sure speeds up the lighter traffic.

He claims that if he is in the position of the lorry being overtaken and it is taking a while, he eases off the gas to let the other one past. I don't believe him, in much the same way he doesn't believe me when I tell him I always use my indicators (I do).

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

In Italy trucks are banned from the outside lane and it sure speeds up the lighter traffic.

I think that is across all of Europe?  I know it applies in France and Belguim, it may have changed.

2 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

I'm often beeped at for "undertaking them"

Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

Edited by McRamFan

35 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

No problem with lorries in the outer lanes. If your options were drive 100 miles 5mph slower than you are capable of doing or take 2 minutes to overtake someone else you'd overtake too.

It took him over 6 minutes, 6 miles to gain one truck length, by then, going slight down hill he wasn't pulling away as both on the limiter. 

On 16/02/2019 at 10:33, McRamFan said:

According to this, they can.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47248555

Mr Javid added that there were a range of measures available to "stop people who pose a serious threat from returning to the UK, including depriving them of their British citizenship or excluding them from the country".

Jeremy wants to roll out the red carpet mind.

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

...traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

It normally does! Thing is I just join the motorway safely and sit in the inside lane a good distance behind any lorry doing around 55-60mph. The morons behind me shoot into the outside lane doing 80mph+ and I usually pass them 15 minutes further up the road. I don't swap lanes at all unless behind a very slow-moving lorry going up hill for example.

7 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

It normally does! Thing is I just join the motorway safely and sit in the inside lane a good distance behind any lorry doing around 55-60mph. The morons behind me shoot into the outside lane doing 80mph+ and I usually pass them 15 minutes further up the road. I don't swap lanes at all unless behind a very slow-moving lorry going up hill for example.

Imagine how many of those outside-lane morons you'd pass if you occasionally upped it to 65mph, and overtook a few of those lorries, before immediately returning to lane one. 

Try it, and let us know what you think.

12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Imagine how many of those outside-lane morons you'd pass if you occasionally upped it to 65mph, and overtook a few of those lorries, before immediately returning to lane one. 

Duh, think about it.

It would make it much harder to read the paper and clear his inbox if he had to overtake at the same time!

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Duh, think about it.

It would make it much harder to read the paper and clear his inbox if he had to overtake at the same time!

Isn't that what Sir Alex ended up in court for a few years back... clearing his inbox on the motorway?  He got off though, of course, if memory serves!

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pretty sure it was his outbox ?

It was the best I could do, with the words I had at my disposal, but yes, the same thought crossed my mind as I wrote it!

I'd have got away with it, if it wasn't for you pesky kids!

...Anyway... it could also be his inbox... each to their own, 'n all that!

On 21/02/2019 at 21:31, Mucker1884 said:

But I can't get into the outside lane because it's full of morons wanting to go faster rather than using both lanes! This stretch of the A1 only has two lanes. 

Dispatch brand new trainers in this condition. Wasn’t eBay either but an online retailer, £70. Had to send an email straight away with pics just so I don’t have issues returning them, will think I’ve spilt a cuppa!

61A58675-4478-437B-B624-60CFCF9EA0C4.jpeg

1 hour ago, David said:

Raise prices of your TV subscription just because they can.

906FD25F-0F83-435F-B3E7-82C2FA182D6A.jpeg

I went to NowTV in Jan (from Virgin)... and the Sky Sports day pass has already gone up a quid to £8.99!

I'll be cashing in my freebie day pass for tonight though, so fe*k 'em, for now... I'll have a moan when I have to pay for the next one!