The Alternative

Waffle

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

So your saying ,GR cant motivate a team when playing the likes of Burton and Sunderland when we have everything to play for. And can't organise or motivate a team against the likes of Wolves. Well what is he good at? Our best players this season Carson , keogh ,vydra all from previous managers. We've seen Ince, Hughes and Martin out  for the likes of Lawrence and Jerome ? 

Sorry when teams like Sunderland and Burton can embarrass us like they have and we put in displays like we have at Preston and Wolves something is wrong and obviously not being addressed?

The players shouldn't need a manager to motivate them to play the likes of Burton or Sunderland. They're all "professionals" paid shed loads of money, they shouldn't need someone telling them they need to win, they should just go out there and do the business. These players are the problem - whoever is in charge always ends up having the same problem.

I think the problem started after we lost in the play offs when everyone had huge pay rises. From that point on, the players were no longer there for the love of playing football, it was all about the money. Players in the dressing room thinking he's on more than me etc.

I think Rowett has made some bad decisions. Signing Cameron Jerome is pretty unforgivable if you ask me. Why sign someone 30+ that can't even get in the Norwich team when we could have got a young up and coming striker from a lower league. Curtis Davies has been a quality signing though.

I'm just not sure what the way forward is from here. We need these old, has-been, high earners out of this club and we have to replace them with young, up and coming players that we can build our future on. I'd happily buy in to that, even if we end up in the bottom half of the table next season.

I would love it to work out with Rowett, but I think he has to start thinking differently next season and begin getting us to play a different way - not a way that bores us all to death. If he can't do that, then it's time for him to go and for a fresh approach.

Who knows though, we might surprise everyone and beat Middlesbrough and Cardiff, get in to the plays offs and end up in the Premier League - now that would be a surprise! Just hope we can get more than 11 points this time though!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a gamble on someone like Mikel Arteta, perfect football philosophy learnt under pep and wenger. If not him it needs to be someone that the players have instant respect for and are willing to fight for instead of a team with no desire to succeed. 

To be honest the Bolton game shocked me. Although we won the game it had no intensity and no passion. It felt dead in the stadium. I have as is my personality tried to remain upbeat, tried to look for the positives but im afraid following the Wolves game and today I can't anymore. living 200 miles away I tend to only get up to about half a dozen home games but at the moment it's simply not worth it.

Sorry Mel but Rowett has given you an overpaid under performing aging squad. A reduced squad value and falling attendances.

You have a massive problem on your hands but I now know where I would start.

10 hours ago, Ramarena said:

If Mel pulls the trigger then I'd look at a young up and coming manager from the champ down (would love to find the next Eddie Howe) rowett was supposed to be this but the philosophy doesn't look to be a fit. I'd also be keen to look abroad as an alternative but this can be very hit and miss.

Either way the philosophy has to fit by playing attractive football and they have to be given time there's a big mess to unpick.

totally with you on this , how about Nathan Jones of Luton , plays the sort of football Rams fans crave

Wouldn’t bring McClaren back because too much has gone on and I’d question his motive if he were to come back as he’s been sacked twice previously by the owner.

I wouldn’t bring back Wassall either, he antagonised too many fans during his first spell due to his numerous errors and his arrogance by his failure to take responsibility so he’d be on the back foot straight away.

My choice would be Dean Smith or someone from abroad.

Would prefer Waffle to have a crack at the playoffs again - thats if we make it!!! And re-assess come the summer. I would prefer a foreign coach  - good tactician, flair etc and is good at formations - change, and man management

Currently - The manager has lost the fans, we are boring, no flair, cannot win, lost to Burton and Sunderland and basically the fans are rebelling!!

We have the problem that we sat in 2nd for some time  and this was a false position - this was a lofty perch for us!  - we were at best only going to be a 6th placed team this season after selling arguably our two best players. - Hughes and Ince

We also didn't player manage - Martin, Bryson, Russell

Our signings haven't been great  - Jerome, Lawrence

Some our 13/14 team - jury is out - Thorne, Fozzy

More positive points - Davis, Weiman and Vydra 

Question marks - on how a Chelsea Starlet like Palmer. - who has more skill that the rest of the f££kers put together cannot get in the team

So for me  - if we get dicked by Middlesboro - get shut

12 hours ago, Mckram said:

Warnock :ph34r:

Just kidding.

Anyone that’s not English...Marco Silva would be great. I also think Bilic would walk this league! 

A Warnock is exactly what we need, doesn't suffer fools and has got out of this division more times than anyone.  If Cardiff stay down I'd try and poach him even after snowgate.  Really it's more a shame we didn't go for him a couple of years ago.

Managers fail at clubs all the time because it's not the right time or place.  Who thought Jim Smith would do what he did for us? A manager who had all but retired after going down with Newcastle/failing to get them back up and then nearly dropping to the third tier with Portsmouth.

Chucking names around - Neil Harris, Darrell Clarke, Paul Tisdale, Kevin Nolan are up and comers but lack experience as a result so they are out for me.

We'll get linked with Mick McCarthy, Alex Neil, Gordon Strachan, Dean Smith, Alan Pardew, Craig Shakespeare, Derek McInnes and Graham Potter, and maybe even a first timer like Joey Barton, John Terry etc.  At least Pardew has a couple of promotions on his CV. 

Bilic is maybe one of the better options around but I'm not even 100% sure on him and doubt he'd come here.

So in conclusion, yes Rowett out, but no idea who is the man to replace him.  I thought I wanted a 50+, quite authoritative boss who can handle egos and get players onside, that plays at least non-negative football, but I'm struggling on names.  Has to be said that a younger boss may be less cynical and a littler more cavalier, but that won't help us next February!

2 minutes ago, Rample said:

A Warnock is exactly what we need, doesn't suffer fools and has got out of this division more times than anyone.  If Cardiff stay down I'd try and poach him even after snowgate.  Really it's more a shame we didn't go for him a couple of years ago.

Managers fail at clubs all the time because it's not the right time or place.  Who thought Jim Smith would do what he did for us? A manager who had all but retired after going down with Newcastle/failing to get them back up and then nearly dropping to the third tier with Portsmouth.

Chucking names around - Neil Harris, Darrell Clarke, Paul Tisdale, Kevin Nolan are up and comers but lack experience as a result so they are out for me.

We'll get linked with Mick McCarthy, Alex Neil, Gordon Strachan, Dean Smith, Alan Pardew, Craig Shakespeare, Derek McInnes and Graham Potter, and maybe even a first timer like Joey Barton, John Terry etc.  At least Pardew has a couple of promotions on his CV. 

Bilic is maybe one of the better options around but I'm not even 100% sure on him and doubt he'd come here.

So in conclusion, yes Rowett out, but no idea who is the man to replace him.  I thought I wanted a 50+, quite authoritative boss who can handle egos and get players onside, that plays at least non-negative football, but I'm struggling on names.  Has to be said that a younger boss may be less cynical and a littler more cavalier, but that won't help us next February!

We need Harry Potter not Graham - even the best wizard may not be able to fix it

17 hours ago, Derbylad92 said:

got average brentford team to become a very good and difficult to beat championship club which is what we are suppose to be under rowett 

I think we need to be a bit more than that. I've nothing against Warburton, just not my idea of what we require. We need is a Sean Dyche. Where we find such a manager willing to come in and take on the poisoned chalice.... I know not. 

3 minutes ago, europia said:

I think we need to be a bit more than that. I've nothing against Warburton, just not my idea of what we require. We need is a Sean Dyche. Where we find such a manager willing to come in and take on the poisoned chalice.... I know not. 

Paul Cook?

4 hours ago, irobinson said:

We need Harry Potter not Graham - even the best wizard may not be able to fix it

Billy Graham?

I would employ a Hatchet Person (We had a women bought in at our company to get rid of hundreds of people in 2 years ended up getting rid of about 3000 UK staff but heh its an IT company so nobody cares) whose sole role is to get rid of unwanted Players and Staff for the best possible price within the next season and then leave (Incentivise with a Bonus) 

Its harsh but is works in Business and at the moment it looks like the Players are acting like the best dead wood you see in a company , i.e. they know they won't get a job elsewhere for the same money so are simply waiting to be paid to go and meanwhile become toxic within the team 

In my view -

It feels like its been slowly going wrong since the January window closed. It's not just not turning up to play Burton, it seems to go deeper than that, and does appear to be some kind of collective bottling going on.

GR seems like a really good bloke, and Mel seems to be a great owner - so I do wonder if it's just a bit too nice a life being a Rams player right now. So the bad news is ....

We could be in an impossible situation, as we need a manager who can clear out the dead wood and make potentially very unpopular decisions with the squad and the fans. This would result in some bad results as we will have gaps in the ranks potentially and possibly some kind of player 'strike'/mardy-on for a few games when it happens. This could result in the said manager being binned, and we are then back to square one.

I think two things need to happen -

1, Get a manager who can do the first thing, and most importantly, has a real plan to move us forward. This should not necessarily mean going for promotion next season, which is linked to -

2. Setting realistic goals. Maybe we are just a good Championship club (?) the evidence of the last ten years seems to show this.

To move forward we need to develop young players and recruit players from the market who continually strengthen the team. The strength needs to be in spirit.

I don't want a wonderful footballer who have the loyalty and personality of a crisp packet who stands with his hands on his hips when things start to go wrong.

I would rather have a donkey who charges about, gets yellow card, throws up on the touchline, but contributes to turning a defeat into a win.

Archived