The Alternative

Waffle

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Desperately want Marco silva but fear he’d wait for a prem job, think we deffo need to spend some money on a proper good manager though. Always rated Slaven bilic as well, impressed me whenever I’ve seem him talk with his knowledge of the game, got a West Ham side playing football after allardyce too. Chris wilder might be a shout as well but can’t help but feel we need something a bit more.. exotic? Looking abroad might be an idea, I’d struggle to name any names tho without looking into it.

Whoever it is needs to be with a director of football. Can’t think of any names but they need to be well regarded so can recruit good loanees etc, and also need to be a fan of the same philosophy that we’re going for as a club.

11 minutes ago, martin said:

Mel should be setting the vision and transfer policy though, surely? Rowett wouldn’t have taken these decisions alone. The transfer policy and constant change of managers since Mel arrived has got us in this mess. 

I get that. But is mel putting his trust in his manager? Bill gates said he employs clever people to tell him what to do. Not the other way round. These managers are 100% football. Mel isnt. Hes like us. He sees things like us. You empoly a manager surely you should trust them. 

Saying that if GR came to me asking me to sign a cheque for anyone id would have done abit of background

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

Bilic wasn't with us, are you getting confused with Asanovic?

Stimac was quoted with bilic 

Just now, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

I hear yer. But will they change there managers before start of next season? Their supporters might want to but that doesnt mean to say they will. 

Ur probably right about pie in sky but worth a punt? 

I do rate Silva but he doesn't need to drop to the championship when he'll have plenty of top flight offers coming his way.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm 100% sure I'm not alone in this.

No, you are not. I didn’t want him appointed, and I was alarmed last season when he seemed to have no use for our most talented and creative players. I didn’t renew my st on the strength of it. Early performances seemed to confirm that we were in for a turgid time  

Then by Christmas, when we were grinding out results and moving up the table, I was prepared to admit that Rowett had found a way of making it effective. The new defensive solidity was encouraging, and seemed a good base to build from.

I invested in a half season ticket and determined to come along for the ride. I haven’t been since Brentford; even the wins felt like disappointing failures. Entitled? Half fan? Moaner? Mere human? Yes, probably. 

As for the alternative, there seems to be a lot of people hankering for an identity, a direction, and something they can believe in and commit their support to. Whatever else Rowett does now, he is clearly not it. 

Whether it be a talented foreign manager, a dof and head coach, Mac and Simpson, or someone we’ve never heard of, it’s not for me to answer that question, but as you say, anything that moves us away from this anti football is a step in the right direction. 

22 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

I get that. But is mel putting his trust in his manager? Bill gates said he employs clever people to tell him what to do. Not the other way round. These managers are 100% football. Mel isnt. Hes like us. He sees things like us. You empoly a manager surely you should trust them. 

Saying that if GR came to me asking me to sign a cheque for anyone id would have done abit of background

Completely see what you are saying. I would find it hard to trust a football manager though. Their lifespan seems to be always limited to the short term. It feels like we have no long term plan, independent of who the manager is.

The club philosophy seems to be to chuck money at the situation and hope for the best. 

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

No, you are not. I didn’t want him appointed, and I was alarmed last season when he seemed to have no use for our most talented and creative players. I didn’t renew my st on the strength of it. Early performances seemed to confirm that we were in for a turgid time  

Then by Christmas, when we were grinding out results and moving up the table, I was prepared to admit that Rowett had found a way of making it effective. The new defensive solidity was encouraging, and seemed a good base to build from.

I invested in a half season ticket and determined to come along for the ride. I haven’t been since Brentford; even the wins felt like disappointing failures. Entitled? Half fan? Moaner? Mere human? Yes, probably. 

As for the alternative, there seems to be a lot of people hankering for an identity, a direction, and something they can believe in and commit their support to. Whatever else Rowett does now, he is clearly not it. 

Whether it be a talented foreign manager, a dof and head coach, Mac and Simpson, or someone we’ve never heard of, it’s not for me to answer that question, but as you say, anything that moves us away from this anti football is a step in the right direction. 

Can’t believe I agree with you on something  :o

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I do rate Silva but he doesn't need to drop to the championship when he'll have plenty of top flight offers coming his way.

Yeah i know. Even teams like WBA could be a better option in his eyes. I know money talks tho. And if mel offers a good deal. Carte blanche to to build a young exciting squad. Playing good football. He'll know he'll have at least 2 years here. Plus bonuses for promotion. Thats a good gig for any football manager

20 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You have heard of Jorge Mendes yes?

Yes, but he still went to a championship club after Porto.

Why did Benitez stay at Newcastle in the championship, surely he would have had offers from bigger teams to go?

I’m just saying just because once upon a time Everton were quoted in a paper as interested in him doesn’t mean he would never look at the championship. He was sacked from Watford after all.

Archived