The Alternative

Waffle

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Mel won’t do anything, just reading his statement when sacking SM highlights how far we have come......

The club statement said: “Since the turn of the year we have experienced a significant, unexpected and persistent decline in results, team unity and morale. Our form over the last 10 games would place us above the relegation group by goal difference alone. The 3-0 defeat at Brighton & Hove Albion on Friday, combined with Saturday’s results, means with nine games remaining the side is 10 points adrift of a place in the Championship’s top six.”

Morris added: “Steve is a great coach, we have very talented players and first-class facilities but the heartbeat, commitment, focus and passion has been lacking something fundamental. The Brighton game on Friday night was so far from what we expect to see from those wearing a Derby County shirt”

“To ensure we are on the right path, it is important to put the building blocks in place so we can develop a team we can all be proud of. Players should wear the shirt with pride and share, espouse and exude the qualities and values we believe are important to the club, its supporters and the community. We need a manager who shares our values and who is prepared to develop the team, staff and processes that will set us on course for a sustainable place in the Premier League.”

Unfortunately I think we're in reverse gear!

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Mel won’t do anything, just reading his statement when sacking SM highlights how far we have come......

The club statement said: “Since the turn of the year we have experienced a significant, unexpected and persistent decline in results, team unity and morale. Our form over the last 10 games would place us above the relegation group by goal difference alone. The 3-0 defeat at Brighton & Hove Albion on Friday, combined with Saturday’s results, means with nine games remaining the side is 10 points adrift of a place in the Championship’s top six.”

Morris added: “Steve is a great coach, we have very talented players and first-class facilities but the heartbeat, commitment, focus and passion has been lacking something fundamental. The Brighton game on Friday night was so far from what we expect to see from those wearing a Derby County shirt”

“To ensure we are on the right path, it is important to put the building blocks in place so we can develop a team we can all be proud of. Players should wear the shirt with pride and share, espouse and exude the qualities and values we believe are important to the club, its supporters and the community. We need a manager who shares our values and who is prepared to develop the team, staff and processes that will set us on course for a sustainable place in the Premier League... unless I change my mind and put up with any old toss.”

Aye, you might have a point there Adam. :(

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Why can't we be really innovative and source a really forward thinking foreign manager? Always wonderd why in our entire history we have never either gone for one or attracted one. 

Yeah,why not?....doesn't mean he can't use local and british talent in the team with some more cosmopolitan players.

As long as the football is good(and I haven't seen many teams abroad playing 1950's rowettball) then what's the problem?

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Why can't we be really innovative and source a really forward thinking foreign manager? Always wonderd why in our entire history we have never either gone for one or attracted one. 

If rowett is sacked or walks then that’s the path I want to see us take ,, someone who has not been exposed to and infected by the mass media and self inflicted derby jacket of collapse who could perhaps have a knowledge of some good foreign talent to bring in that are also not immersed in this derby collapse culture that is getting harder and harder to dislodge ,, i don’t want a merry go round replacement or an ex player who is even more burdened by this extra pressure,,

would I give rowett more time if I were mel ? I think I would but very very much based on the buying selling policy he put to me at seasons end ( has to stay till season end and see out the job he started and gain experience) , no more older experienced players needed at the club , we need young fresh energetic prospects with ambition and enough quality that they will not be a millstone to any new manager at end of next season ( or mid season ) if rowett doesn’t show enough ,, if rowetts goes to mel with totally wrong type of player in / out list then I wouldn’t give him another season ,,, I believe managers need time to build but by the same token I feel Gary is at the point where the owner really needs to be looking closely at what and how he is trying to build and if it’s not right then let go

1 hour ago, archied said:

... if rowetts goes to mel with totally wrong type of player in / out list then I wouldn’t give him another season ...

Surely that's what got us here, Mel just signs the cheques. Why should he gainsay the manager on signings unless it's cost?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely that's what got us here, Mel just signs the cheques. Why should he gainsay the manager on signings unless it's cost?

agreed with that -  MM doesn't know the difference between Cameron Jerome and Robson & Jerome. Equally all tedious.

He signs the bills off. Thats why he pays GR the dosh - all he can look at really is the life age of the player and the wages!!!

Just now, curtains said:

I know the jist of it all.

I take it you don’t want to say he has hardly signed any at all as regards numbers 

The OP said Mel should consider Rowetts future at the end of season (partly) based on what player list he came to him with. I said it's not Mels job to judge, just to sign the cheques - any clearer for you mate?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The OP said Mel should consider Rowetts future at the end of season (partly) based on what player list he came to him with. I said it's not Mels job to judge, just to sign the cheques - any clearer for you mate?

You answered a question about a totally wrong in and out list and you answered that’s surely what got us here inferring in my eyes that you blame Rowett for poor signings. 

He has signed relatively few players compared 

22 minutes ago, irobinson said:

agreed with that -  MM doesn't know the difference between Cameron Jerome and Robson & Jerome. Equally all tedious.

He signs the bills off. Thats why he pays GR the dosh - all he can look at really is the life age of the player and the wages!!!

irobinson sees the point I was making @curtains perhaps you should take off your blinkers.

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Now that’s where I totally disagree with you and also point out your only see what suits your approach to mel and rowett,

i think it’s very much mels responsibility to look at the type of players the manager (any manager)wants to bring in and decide from that if the said manager is right for the vision he as the owner has for the club , I’m not talking about singular opinions of each singular player what I’m talking about is direction ,ethos ,long term policy ,

let me make this simple 

if I’m mel and Gary comes to me at the end of the season and says he is happy in the main with the experience he has brought in already and is now wanting to scout and bring in young hungry players to get the balance right then I’m optimistic we could be building for the future ,

if rowett comes with a list of older players with limited shelf life to add to what we have with a short term view of this lot might just get us up next season then alarm bells are ringing and I’m wondering if he is the right man to build for the future ,

or are you maintaining that he should just sign checks willy nilly even if he thinks the manager is going in the totally wrong direction from the one he wants the club to go in?

21 minutes ago, archied said:

Now that’s where I totally disagree with you and also point out your only see what suits your approach to mel and rowett,

i think it’s very much mels responsibility to look at the type of players the manager (any manager)wants to bring in and decide from that if the said manager is right for the vision he as the owner has for the club , I’m not talking about singular opinions of each singular player what I’m talking about is direction ,ethos ,long term policy 

That makes Mel DoF then? Surely Mel appoints the manager and sets the budget. Not picks the signings?

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That makes Mel DoF then? Surely Mel appoints the manager and sets the budget. Not picks the signings?

Come on you are being obtuse ,, the owner is always the ultimate DOF , you can put as many removed levels in as you want with as many fancy modern titles as you want but it doesn’t change the fact that the owner builds a club on his own vision 

13 minutes ago, archied said:

Come on you are being obtuse ,, the owner is always the ultimate DOF , you can put as many removed levels in as you want with as many fancy modern titles as you want but it doesn’t change the fact that the owner builds a club on his own vision 

Doesn’t mean he know owt about football!!! Does he know the difference between a box to box midfielder and DM ??

hes a money man!!!

On 4/14/2018 at 19:08, RoyMac5 said:

I think if we sacked Rowett NOW and got Wassall in it couldn't be any worse. Plus he might just pull them around enough to get into the play-offs, the squad is good enough.

3-0 up away at Rotherham until the last 10 minutes, then drawing 3-3 says otherwise.

3 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Doesn’t mean he know owt about football!!! Does he know the difference between a box to box midfielder and DM ??

hes a money man!!!

Mel knows Box to box was Archie  G  and DM was Henry Newton. 

Not rocket science but them two would cost to 30 Million nowadays 

Archived