Rage Quitting the match.

Boycie

Left at 60 minutes yesterday, left at half time against Fulham. I feel it’s far better for me to leave than to boo. Year after year of being built up has got to me, we promise so much but then we crumble away. Too many times this season the football has got in the way of a good day out. It’s not just about the match for me, it’s the whole day and the social aspect. So much false hope over the past few years has dented my love for the game.

Renewed my season ticket for the 15th year on Thursday and get served up that absoloutebe ***** yesterday as a thank you.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fella who left after 20 mins said he came to games from Doncaster - and just felt he couldn't take any more of last night's performance. 

He had a point; another late-night trip home, in filthy weather, and his judgement that the team were busy blowing their chances for yet another season was entirely accurate. It's a personal choice; he is neither idiot nor di.k head, just a fan (a long-term one) that was vastly disappointed, even shocked, at what he was seeing.

Renewed my S/T in the afternoon before the Sunderland game, expecting a win...but still anticipating Championship footy again in 2018-19 - which will mark 50 years since I was fortunate to witness Brian Clough's Rams storming to promotion in his second season at the club. That's when I bought my first season ticket.

I was watching them two seasons beforehand, when Tim Ward was manager and (now living away from Derby, in London & Brum since 1975) travel a distance to any game, home or away.

I have learned to be realistic - certainly not entitled, over the decades (but especially over this last decade). Quite apart from finding a leader on the pitch, which we have lacked for several seasons, and weeding out the bottlers, lazybones and journeymen that populate the squad, Messrs. Morris & Rowett must turn their attention to the fitness, coaching and motivational backroom support. 

They must address some obvious basics: a negative, fragile mentality, questionable fight & stamina, and appalling decision-making, concentration and finishing, alongside a persistent failure to execute game plans.

Add in such as: putting in 90+ minute performances, starting at high tempo, you name it - because some good players are simply looking careless, tired, frightened. Unless these key aspects are tackled, we will simply remain what an opposition manager recently described Derby County as: "A solid Championship team", accurately damning with faint praise a side that ultimately cannot see the job through, who are stuck in the same place, year on year.

Whoever left the game early last night (and I never do, even contemplating a rain-sodden mile back to the car and an hour's trip home), did so of their own volition and are entitled so to do. 

The players turning up, and staying the course, fighting to recover and prosper in every game, is a prerequisite.... and yesterday's debacle was just unforgivable, after such tremendous early support from the crowd - and of course, the time and effort that the flag group had put in to create a good atmosphere for the team.

Players: come Monday, what have you got left? What will you show us? Your character is in question...

I remember back to the Hull at home game where we won 5 - 0. I felt we were lucky that night I also thought the result papered over the cracks.

After that I started to think we were forcing teams into conceding goals and our climb up the table was due to our style of play. We were winning games 3 - 0 but still I never felt we convincingly out played any team and luck was on our side. There was many a game we won where the game could easily have gone either way.

Finally our luck has run out. The games are going the other way. The back pass Villa made landing at Vydras feet for him to score has turned into a miss placed pass by Keogh. The penalty earnt against Wednesday has turned into a clumsy challenge by Forsyth. 

Let's face facts we aren't good enough. I challenge anyone to convince me we are.

Left on 80 minutes against spurs many years back. We were 1-0 down and I was meeting a girl in town after and decided to beat the rush as we were crap that day. Went down the stairs at the back of the popside and as reached the bottom step, the roar went up as we eqaulised. I started running back up and then stopped and thought, what's the point, I won't see the goal and they didn't have a screen showing replays. So I turned around and trudged off pissed off that I had missed the goal and vowed never to leave early ever again.

3 hours ago, Key clubber said:

Whatever time a supporter decides to leave should have no bearing on a game . I was leaving just as Keogh decided he’s suddenly turned into a rabbit in headlights again, and passed possibly the worse pass I have ever seen . And believe me I’ve seen some sh*#e.

I wonder if he saw me leaving and this was his payback.:ph34r:

So you left at 0-1 on 36 mins.  At least you lasted 16mins longer than the Radio Derby caller. ??

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

Sorry for the youngsters terminology in the title.

But, on Radio Derbys post match phone in a caller claimed he left on 20 mins.

Now, he's entitled to, but what if he's with someone else, a kid maybe, does it breed this type of reaction into future supporters or even put them off completely?

I was posting on another thread and said if you were to leave on 0-2 down on 20 mins wouldn't you at least give it until 10 mins of the second half?

Whats the earliest you have left?

Mine is about 70 mins against Reading this season, the first time ever.

In the premiership campaign of 2006 or whenever it was a bloke and his mate/son infront of me left at half time on numerous occasions, sometimes on 30 mins he would disappear for what looked like an early trip to the bar given we were usually losing, and never returned to his seat, make of that what you will.

Left on 75 last night, but that was mainly due to avoiding the ridiculous wait in the south stand car park.... the pain was hard enough with the game, let alone a 30+ minute wait in the rain. Don’t feel I need to excuse myself either for doing so. I pay my ST money so can do what the feck I like. I’m actually considering the trip to Preston mind.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I left the sofa early to get another beer in the hope it would blot out the pain. It didn't work. Can't promise I won't do it again.

The mistake you made was you only got one beer. For last night's game you needed a crate!:whistle:

Only second time I've left early last night, previously was 88th minute as daughter wasn't well and we were winning. 

Last night it was through choice as didn't want to be in the grd and expose the

daughter to my reaction at full time...... so left at 91mins!

I've been going since 1984 and probably felt as low as at any point in that time last night

PistoldPete2

Earliest I’ve left is about 70 minutes. 

I think one of those was against reading this season.

Most games I stay til the end . For logistical reasons I did last night. There was quite a rush at 78 minutes probably more leaving then than at full time.

My bus leaves Pride park after the game, so irrespective of the result im there until the end. Yesterday wasnt pleasant. 

However, my earliest leaving a game was about 6 years ago.

Travelled upto Hampden from Derby in the morning for our first semi final in years. Met my mates in the city centre, had a load of pints, set off for Hampden full of optimism and bravado for a famous win. 

By half time we were 4 down and I was back in the pub by the start of the 2nd half......

In 50+ years I've arrived late twice - once in the 70's when I was in London when we were playing Chelsea. Came back on the train and arrived at the station in the second half.  Made my way to the BBG with a suitcase (numpty) and when they opened the gates with 10 minutes to go forced myself onto the back of the Ossie End. We won 1-0. The other was because the traffic out of Leeds was ***** on a Friday night.

Never left early.  Been tempted once or twice though!

Archived