Reading sack Stam, hire Clement

Day

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Sparkle but he seems more interested in pursuing his career here as opposed to abroad. Maybe he’ll reflect on what cost him his jobs previously and alter his approach accordingly. 

Should he decide on a more of the same approach then yeah, your point is pretty much on the money.

3 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Maybe Sparkle but he seems more interested in pursuing his career here as opposed to abroad. Maybe he’ll reflect on what cost him his jobs previously and alter his approach accordingly. 

Should he decide on a more of the same approach then yeah, your point is pretty much on the money.

That's a fair point.

As a manager he is really inexperienced, and any mistakes he has made have been under the spotlight given the profile of the 2 clubs he's managed.

There is just something about him, not arrogance exactly, but a feeling that he knows best, misplaced self confidence perhaps?

The interview he gave recently, comparing his start at Swansea to Carvahals doesn't strike me as a manager who thinks he's done much wrong.

We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

And now there is talk of McClaren at Ipswich.....................no-one else has wanted him!!      Both overly sure of their own ability??  At least BJ has told us that there WAS no alternative plan under SM.   Think we had sussed that Brad but thanks for publically confirming it..

5 hours ago, t'oldu said:

And now there is talk of McClaren at Ipswich.....................no-one else has wanted him!!      Both overly sure of their own ability??  At least BJ has told us that there WAS no alternative plan under SM.   Think we had sussed that Brad but thanks for publically confirming it..

I presume no alternate plan under Mac 2? When he publically said the squad needed changing. I'd still rather no alternate under Mac than Rowett, thank you.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I presume no alternate plan under Mac 2? When he publically said the squad needed changing. I'd still rather no alternate under Mac than Rowett, thank you.

While I wouldn't go as far as prefering Mac, I see no evidence Gary has a plan B.

To be fair not many managers do, they might start off one way, like Rowett this season, and Conte at Chelsea last, but they soon tend to revert to what's made them successful upto now, which is fair enough.

Plan B is always do Plan A better.

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

In our last 2 games we have had 2 shots on target, we've had 9 shots ourselves and 33 against us. Looks like Clement has got Reading playing like one of the prime playoff contenders. (thank god we already played them twice this season - christ that would be a dull game )

I thought Reading looked quite good last time we played them - battered us the first time.

18 minutes ago, GenBr said:

In our last 2 games we have had 2 shots on target, we've had 9 shots ourselves and 33 against us. Looks like Clement has got Reading playing like one of the prime playoff contenders. (thank god we already played them twice this season - christ that would be a dull game )

I thought Reading looked quite good last time we played them - battered us the first time.

We were the only team they did batter though. Hence Stam’s sacking. 

On 24/03/2018 at 11:07, MuespachRam said:

You can dig away....I think I said at the time, I had never been heard of Butterfield...I still haven’t....and that Nick Blackman would not score a goal for us...

?? I love that you're happily proclaiming your knowledge whilst claiming credit for 'successfully' predicting someone would be terrible...on the basis you hadnt heard of them.

Harsh to say that Clement was a failure. We were top 5 and it could have turned round.  Don't think he was patronising or overly confident...think he possibly name-dropped a bit, but equally unavoidable that he would get asked a lot about Bale etc. Wasn't given chance to get through his first mini crisis having been told he had years to mould things. Football was slow and a bit safety first...but it was his first job. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

We were the only team they did batter though. Hence Stam’s sacking. 

That's the Derby Way - any team playing us is guaranteed to end any run of bad form they've been having.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

?? I love that you're happily proclaiming your knowledge whilst claiming credit for 'successfully' predicting someone would be terrible...on the basis you hadnt heard of them.

Harsh to say that Clement was a failure. We were top 5 and it could have turned round.  Don't think he was patronising or overly confident...think he possibly name-dropped a bit, but equally unavoidable that he would get asked a lot about Bale etc. Wasn't given chance to get through his first mini crisis having been told he had years to mould things. Football was slow and a bit safety first...but it was his first job. 

I knew enough about Nick Blackman......his record speaks for itself, he has never scored goals on any sort of consistent basis anywhere he has been throughout his career.....and as I said about Butterfield....never even heard of him...

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

That's the Derby Way - any team playing us is guaranteed to end any run of bad form they've been having.

I always remember a time when we were in the prem under jim smith. Crystal Palace had gone about 2 thirds of the season without a home win. I just knew we’d be the ones to break that record. No reason we should, we were having a perfectly good season, but even then I think I had the sense that we always seem to be the team to help someone out on a bad run. 

That was sometime in the 90s and it’s not really changed since. 

9 hours ago, GenBr said:

We let them play.

In both games collectively we pressed them for about 25 minutes and slaughtered them. They had no other way of transitioning through the thirds. Every time they’d have a centre-half drop deep and have the ball even if under pressure. 

You can see why they were so good last season and why they’re so poor this.

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I always remember a time when we were in the prem under jim smith. Crystal Palace had gone about 2 thirds of the season without a home win. I just knew we’d be the ones to break that record. No reason we should, we were having a perfectly good season, but even then I think I had the sense that we always seem to be the team to help someone out on a bad run. 

That was sometime in the 90s and it’s not really changed since. 

Or Ipswich not having won until October in 09/10. You know the ending.

8 hours ago, cannable said:

Or Ipswich not having won until October in 09/10. You know the ending.

This is good. Completely off topic, but I wonder what the worst example of us doing a team a favour and breaking their run for them is?

And on the flip side, thank god for Newcastle. 

On 3/21/2018 at 16:38, theroyal said:

Hey, Reading fan in peace.

What's Clement like? Presumably you're not fans of his?

Like for like with Stam.  If you thought endless possession, not getting anywhere was bad under the big bald Dutchman, you're going to claw your eyeballs out watching Clement Ball...

Archived