Reading sack Stam, hire Clement

Day

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Paul Clement has basically handcuffed Derby for years.

Clement didn't make the signings tho ... It was Sam rush. Clem wasn't in charge of transfers.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember one person moaning in this thread who said anything against signing any of the mentioned players when PC did. It would be a laugh to dig up those threads and quote said posters on their feelings at the time. 

If you ever needed reminding of how fickle and two faced football fans are then here's your evidence. (As if we needed anymore after the Pearson and Mac ventures last year). We allow ourselves hindsight but nobody involved with the actual football. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Can't remember one person moaning in this thread who said anything against signing any of the mentioned players when PC did. It would be a laugh to dig up those threads and quote said posters on their feelings at the time. 

If you ever needed reminding of how fickle and two faced football fans are then here's your evidence. (As if we needed anymore after the Pearson and Mac ventures last year). We allow ourselves hindsight but nobody involved with the actual football. :lol:

Football fans aren’t expected nor employed to evaluate signings and get them right, unlike the pros.

Just now, cannable said:

Football fans aren’t expected nor employed to evaluate signings and get them right, unlike the pros.

Never said they were, it'd just be nice for everyone who's sticking the knife in now to not jump on the bandwagon when it rolls up to town if they've constantly got a sharp one in their back pocket for when things go south. 

I'm not going to sit here all high and mighty when I, along with 99% of this forum, was absolutely ecstatic at the time of those signings. He's not the first manager to sign players that don't come off, won't be the last. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Proof is in the pudding. Nick Blackman nuff said.

13 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Never said they were, it'd just be nice for everyone who's sticking the knife in now to not jump on the bandwagon when it rolls up to town if they've constantly got a sharp one in their back pocket for when things go south. 

I'm not going to sit here all high and mighty when I, along with 99% of this forum, was absolutely ecstatic at the time of those signings. He's not the first manager to sign players that don't come off, won't be the last. 

Johnson is the only one I'd say I was anything close to "ecstatic" at the time of signing. Not going to give him credit for Ince.

On the flip side I wondered what we were playing at signing Carson and he's been the best of the lot.

9 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Johnson is the only one I'd say I was anything close to "ecstatic" at the time of signing. Not going to give him credit for Ince.

On the flip side I wondered what we were playing at signing Carson and he's been the best of the lot.

Another good point re: Ince, people are quick to throw the 25 million tag at his door yet it's quite clear the club had already signed some players or had them well along the pipeline on his arrival. We make it sound like he was the only man involved.

There's plenty of balanced debate to be had with PC but as always it's one extreme to another on here. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I am then because I called it :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

You can dig away....I think I said at the time, I had never been heard of Butterfield...I still haven’t....and that Nick Blackman would not score a goal for us...

On 21/03/2018 at 16:38, theroyal said:

Hey, Reading fan in peace.

What's Clement like? Presumably you're not fans of his?

Wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea here. 

His tactic is to play an awful lot of possession based football (which I think JS tried to do before he got the boot at your place) which does make this appointment a strange one.

But.....

That being said I think he will do a good job for you and will have you back up around the playoffs next season (provided he’s given time to do so). 

Not a bad appointment IMHO. 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

You can dig away....I think I said at the time, I had never been heard of Butterfield...I still haven’t....and that Nick Blackman would not score a goal for us...

I’m sure you did, not everybody was on the bandwagon but the vast majority were. 

That last prediction was put to the sword though.... :ph34r:

On 22/03/2018 at 18:23, Bris Vegas said:

The biggest issue in the Clement era was adaptation.

He couldn't adapt to the Championship, and Championship players couldn't adapt to him.

I'm convinced he would be a quality manager at a top club. Basically, it was he who trained Real Madrid, and he applied the same set-up here at Derby and that is where he and we came up short.

He organized the defence, the shape of the team was very good, and the ideals were great. The biggest issue, though, is we had Championship players and not Champions League players.

Clement at Madrid set them up to be typically like a rock out of possession, and when on the ball, it's easy to train world class players to create space, apply quick one-touch passing and move through the thirds. Oh, it's also handy when you've Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale as a front three too, as each can win you the game with a piece of individual brilliance.

We never had that at Derby, obviously... Therefore the passing was so much slower, the movement was so much slower and predictable, and we had nobody (and I include Ince and Martin in this) who could regularly produce individual match-winning moments.

It's why we generally looked solid that season, well up until January. We beat Hull away 2-0, drew with Sheff Wed 0-0 without them creating anything. I think we lost just once in 18 games or something. But it was turgid, because we didn't have the players to play the way Clement wanted.

We were a decent Championship side, we could dominate possession and have a good shape. But it was all too slow, we didn't have a Modric or Isco to play killer passes, we had Jacob Butterfield who was happy to make 10-yard sideways passes and Jeff Hendrick who was a pressure midfielder.

The players also recognised they were uncapable of doing what Clement asked, and there was obvious frustration from both sides. Clement so used to working with world class players probably got infuriated when Bradley Johnson couldn't make simply 10-yard passes.

Likewise, Championship players are used to being trained a certain way. I mean how can you train Cristiano Ronaldo, he basically trains himself. As a coach you can't improve his technique, he will do that himself. But Johnny Russell for instance. I mean, it's not like you just train your team to then give the ball to Russell in the final third and expect him to produce magic.

It was all wrong. So Naive.

Bris as soon as I read Clement at Madrid set them up as.....

If you seriously think it was Clement who set anything up St Madrid the rest of your post is pretty pointless pal.

It's a shame cos it looked like a really well thought out and put together post 

Apologies for doing it a bit of a dis. Service  but I couldn't get past that.

11 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

If you seriously think it was Clement who set anything up St Madrid the rest of your post is pretty pointless pal.

Loads of managers leave it to the assistants, including Ferguson

30 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Erm he did, alongside Hierro and Zidane. Ancelotti isn't a coach, he doesn't take training sessions. Sure he overlooks them, but he leaves it to his coaches to organise and that was Clement's job.

Archived