Reading sack Stam, hire Clement

Day

49 minutes ago, theroyal said:

Now that sounds familiar... :unsure:

Ideal fit then?

In all seriousness, he might not be a bad fit. He's better with technical players, successfully fought off one relegation with  Swansea but the criticism of his transfers is pretty valid, although if he's up for buying Nick Blackman again we'll write him a glowing reference. 

He will try to make you a possession based mini-La Liga side.

There are a few worries with him, mainly, the "stopped believing in him/his methods" drop off that happened with us - really weird, we went from top of the league to relegation form, all sorts of rumours (probably BS), Chairman Mel went into the dressing room after our draw with you to personally issue a verbal kicking. Swansea seemed to have the same drop off this season. The other worry would be his approach to fitness - Mel brought the players a ton of new gym equipment, Clement had it smuggled out undercover! Bradley "about the same skill level as me but a shear beast" Johnson was the fittest player at the club when he arrived, three months later, not fit.

+1 the despite the derision it'd get, Steve McClaren might actually be the man you need

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he's quite as bad as some are making out. Not too sure you'll get a balanced opinion on him on here. 

Good opportunity for him if he can keep you in this division, plenty of mistakes to learn from his last spell at this level. 

1 hour ago, theroyal said:

Hey, Reading fan in peace.

What's Clement like? Presumably you're not fans of his?

Do you like sideways passing? What about backwards?

His football isn't entertaining to watch, but he will probably shore up your defence. When he was with us he seemed to rely on moments of individual brilliance from our attacking players like he thought we had a Bale or a Ronaldo up front to score goals. 

Personally I would echo others on here and say you want Steve Mclaren - think your club would be perfect for him - certainly wouldnt be boring.

2 hours ago, theroyal said:

Now that sounds familiar... :unsure:

From the little I've seen of you this season, and based on how you've played in recent seasons, Mac would be perfect for you.

Forget the Wally with the Brolly nonsense, in the right set up with the right support, he's light years ahead of Clement and Cotternil.

Surprised Clement is ready to jump straight back in with a club fighting the drop, half expected him to rock up at a club abroad in a cushty mid table side somewhere. 

Some ride the Reading fans are on, from finishing 3rd last season to 20th this year just 3 points above the drop, isn't the first time either they've crashed, 7th in 13/14 to 19th the next. 

Keeps you on your toes I guess. Manage to survive at least you know you're in for a promotion battle the following season.

The overview of Clement is essentially that possession is the goal.

It felt like if there was a 90% chance of a through ball on goal or 100% to pass back to the centre back, you take the centre back pass.

It’s infuriating to watch and you’ll see dull low scoring games.

15 hours ago, GenBr said:

Do you like sideways passing? What about backwards?

His football isn't entertaining to watch, but he will probably shore up your defence. When he was with us he seemed to rely on moments of individual brilliance from our attacking players like he thought we had a Bale or a Ronaldo up front to score goals. 

Personally I would echo others on here and say you want Steve Mclaren - think your club would be perfect for him - certainly wouldnt be boring.

Thing is, that might be what we need. Our defence has been shocking this season. The way I see it, our owners are trying not to abandon the possession-based system that worked so well last season but are trying to shore us up at the back.

Stam got sussed out tactically, and we couldn't handle it when teams pressed us up high, or sat in deep. I think the only times we've won this season have been when the opposition did neither of those things and we've actually looked really impressive. We absolutely took Villa apart in August. It's been a strange season...

Clement seems odds-on now, to be honest, I don't mind who we get at this point as long as they come in and get us clear of the drop. I'll worry about the rest in the summer. 

9 minutes ago, theroyal said:

You only had 3 defeats in 7 games when he got sacked, though?

Nothing like the run we are on (1 win in 18 games). Always felt he wasn't given a chance to turn a bad run around. But that's just my outside view.

It wasn't about results, performances had dropped no doubt but the friction between our owner and him seems to have been the biggest cause of his sacking, purely down to the different approaches they both had in mind. I was fuming at the time of his sacking but since then it appears behind the scenes things weren't healthy at all so why bother dragging it out.

You're right though, it wasn't that bad of a run, there's not much difference between the run he got sacked on compared to the one we're on at the moment.

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

It wasn't about results, performances had dropped no doubt but the friction between our owner and him seems to have been the biggest cause of his sacking, purely down to the different approaches they both had in mind. I was fuming at the time of his sacking but since then it appears behind the scenes things weren't healthy at all so why bother dragging it out.

What sort of things?

3 hours ago, theroyal said:

You only had 3 defeats in 7 games when he got sacked, though?

Nothing like the run we are on (1 win in 18 games). Always felt he wasn't given a chance to turn a bad run around. But that's just my outside view.

Yeah but his attempt to counter being thwarted tactically was to play Jeff Hendrick up front… 

Stephen Warnock made over 100 passes that game, mostly to Shackell

Good luck with him if that's who you get he was absolutely turgid here...the most boring manager and worst football we have played in years and years......Give it 2 months and you will be saying just the same as we do..........he is just an over paid PE teacher.

Archived