Derby Snow - Game called off

Day

3 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but the bar and restaurant staff don’t steward the matches. 

I’ve spoken to some of the pitch control guys who are contracted to steward the matches, they are not local. One who regularly stands in front of us is from Telford. 

Why are so many insisting on ignoring the point that without enough safety stewards no sporting event is allowed to take place? 

Because they want to have a go at Derby County. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but the bar and restaurant staff don’t steward the matches. 

I’ve spoken to some of the pitch control guys who are contracted to steward the matches, they are not local. One who regularly stands in front of us is from Telford. 

Why are so many insisting on ignoring the point that without enough safety stewards no sporting event is allowed to take place? 

Because Cardiff believe their schedule should take priority?

I mean some fans set off at 5am so they could make the point 2 fans set off at 5am even against all travel advice, it’s that much of a priority

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I mean some fans set off at 5am so they could make the point 2 fans set off at 5am even against all travel advice, it’s that much of a priority

yes i think i would want to leave Cardiff as early as possible as well!

15 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

With the possible exception of invites to dine at The Yard and then promptly closing it ,a cynic might ask questions around that . Match off but restaurant open?

Was there snow on the first 20 rows of seats in The Yard?

The photo DCFC shared of inside the ground showed a lot of snow which had blown into the seating area - that would have ended up as ice after a few people had trampled on it, and snow and ice on steps is a bad thing at the best of times.

"Derby County need to agree to pay them back in full the cost of tickets and travel." Cardiff's CEO statement.

Uh, no. For the fact that any tickets are valid for the rearranged date, and can be refunded if the new date is an issue. Which pretty much follows the standards for most live events, in my experience.

Let alone the fact that fans will have bought the tickets through Cardiff, not DCFC. Does this man not understand a ticket office of a football club?

Find it amazing that the EFL are going back and looking at this. Reflects badly on them too, if they were satisfied at the time, and now aren't?

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

Was there snow on the first 20 rows of seats in The Yard?

The photo DCFC shared of inside the ground showed a lot of snow which had blown into the seating area - that would have ended up as ice after a few people had trampled on it, and snow and ice on steps is a bad thing at the best of times.

So why close it ? I'm not having a go at Derby I would have done my best to get it called off as it suits us to play the match at another time .Just playing devils advocate on the yard situation .

2 hours ago, Hollybush said:

Conditions were improving though.

Had the kick off time time been delayed the game would have gone ahead.

games do not get called off because fans may have difficulty getting home.

not looking for an argument but it’s a fact 

Someone should have told that to the folk who do the weather forecasts, they weren't so sure

79bff1e26f419f4c3d5993f3932ac061.png&key

Just now, King Kevin said:

So why close it ? I'm not having a go at Derby I would have done my best to get it called off as it suits us to play the match at another time .Just playing devils advocate on the yard situation .

Presumably no one actually turning up and making sure staff get home ok before temperatures dropped below freezing on the roads 

19 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Someone should have told that to the folk who do the weather forecasts, they weren't so sure

79bff1e26f419f4c3d5993f3932ac061.png&key

Correct they should have.

they got the forecast wrong again didn’t they

The game could have been played after a delay

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

From that article:

"Mr Alm is angry at the apparent confusion and what he sees as a lack of forward-planning, with Cardiff supporters "putting their lives at risk" in awful conditions as they left South Wales for a game that nobody told them could be in doubt."

Maybe if the fans had engaged their brains at any point, they would have realised that there might be a link between the two bits I've bolded...

43 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I'm not even convinced it's anything to do with their schedule (pretty much the same as ours except they will have a run of three away games). 

Warnock is upset because they couldn't take advantage of our misfortune of having so many injuries. 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Hollybush said:

Correct they should have.

they got the forecast wrong again didn’t they

The game could have been played after a delay

It will be...sometime in April.

47 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

From that article:

"Mr Alm is angry at the apparent confusion and what he sees as a lack of forward-planning, with Cardiff supporters "putting their lives at risk" in awful conditions as they left South Wales for a game that nobody told them could be in doubt."

Maybe if the fans had engaged their brains at any point, they would have realised that there might be a link between the two bits I've bolded...

Think he has just argued, and won,  the case for us to call off the game. 

PistoldPete2
21 minutes ago, rynny said:

Think he has just argued, and won,  the case for us to call off the game. 

Yeah it was the beast from the East part 2. Cardiff were  coming from the west so didn't know  what was going to hit them. 

2 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Following Alan Brazil asking on air for NW to call live and give his thoughts about snowgate on Monday mornings show.  Joey Barton stated that it would be unfair and one sided without interaction with GR or DCFC on Talksport and questioned AB of his reasoning. 

It all seems way too one sided this debacle, I hope the club have shown some balls behind the scenes and issued NW and their Chairman with a legal letter DEMANDING!! a written public apology or we will sue the **** out of you Warnock for slander and you Chairman (whatever your name is) for Liable. 

Time to grow some Derby ????????

I wonder at what point the League will consider that Warnock is bringing the game into disrepute by his whinging and accusations that we've cheated the system - hopefully any review they hold will include his conduct....

Full Story: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-cardiff-postponed-council-statement-1361251

Yesterday, a Derby City Council spokesperson said: "Derby County Football Club took the decision to postpone the Sky Bet Championship fixture at home to Cardiff City on Sunday due to the weather conditions and the health and safety of people travelling to the ground. This was the club’s decision. As Chair of the Safety Advisory Group, the Council representative was subsequently informed."

This morning, the City Council issued the following statement: “Further to our previous statement on the postponement of the Derby County versus Cardiff City game, the Council’s representatives on the Safety Advisory Group were consulted and fully supportive of the club’s subsequent decision to postpone the fixture for public safety reasons.”

---

Good old blundering Derby City Council.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Probably because he knows he is in the wrong and facing a charge if he keeps up with his tirade.

investigation says

On Monday, an EFL spokesman added: "We are aware of the comments that have been made throughout the course of today in regard to yesterday's postponement between Derby County and Cardiff City

quite possible the investigation is about his behavior

I don't think there's really any blundering going on, or any "ever-changing story" that the Cardiff fans seem so obsessed with.  Barring a major catastrophe, it was always our decision to make as to whether the game went ahead, not the police or council or anyone else.  So we were discussing things with the police, the council, the SAG etc in the buildup to the game. Ultimately we made a judgement call to call it off, and then informed the relevant parties when the decision had been made. Those parties agreed and supported our decision, so we informed everyone else (Cardiff, the EFL, Sky etc). None of the statements from the Police, the council etc dispute that version of events, unless you wilfully misread what has been said.

Archived