Derby Snow - Game called off

Day

1 minute ago, Ewe Ram said:

Maybe so. But those qualities don’t get you far these days. Don’t thing Clough would have coped very well with Sky Sports, Twitter or even Rams TV. You’ve got to explain your every decision and be nice to everyone. 

He was talking about Billy Davis ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ewe Ram said:

Maybe so. But those qualities don’t get you far these days. Don’t thing Clough would have coped very well with Sky Sports, Twitter or even Rams TV. You’ve got to explain your every decision and be nice to everyone. 

Yes, he struggled with that, just ask John Motson and the reporters of the day. He hated tv’s interference didn’t he.

But, we need these character in the game don’t we?

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

I think it is what he has said about the postponed game. You can't take away his record in the Championship. He also has one of those faces you want to punch.

He has one of those faces that looks like it has already been punched numerous times 

13 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

José at Manure? He’s done ok in a few jobs just recently hasn’t he?

50 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Considering 3000 fans from Cardiff then of course,surely they’ve got to be the priority because they’re setting off first and the distance travelled etc.

If I was travelling that far with my kids I’d be pretty miffed.

Correct decision was made,someone needed to get up and make it earlier.

Someone should have made the Cardiff fans the priority simply because of time,distance,risk.

I think you would be a good Rowett @curtains,I’m going to try and trick you into saying ‘the reality of the situation is’.

I can understand the Cardiff fans being miffed conehead, but not that miffed about the timing of the decision.  

The match was postponed at 830am. Cardiff is 162 miles from Derby which, at a steady 60 mph, is 2 hours 42 minutes.

If you aimed to be in Derby by 11am you would be leaving Cardiff at 815am so by the time you got the message at 830am (which I did) you wouldn't have even left Wales although you might have set off. But common sense would have told you that the match might be postponed so if you set off at 5am or whatever then you might have been at the ground by 8am. Daft.

If you were Colin or a player, you wouldn't have been awake when the decision was made.

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

What I’m saying is that the condition of outlying areas were not considered at one time. Just the state of the pitch. 

A bit of snow in this country usually spells disaster. It shouldn’t. 

Abu The outlying areas were not considered places like Chad where an awful lot of people have to park and walk to the ground were the ones inspected and they were very dangerous Not sure where you live but it was really bad in Draycott  

7 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I can understand the Cardiff fans being miffed conehead, but not that miffed about the timing of the decision.  

The match was postponed at 830am. Cardiff is 162 miles from Derby which, at a steady 60 mph, is 2 hours 42 minutes.

If you aimed to be in Derby by 11am you would be leaving Cardiff at 815am so by the time you got the message at 830am (which I did) you wouldn't have even left Wales although you might have set off. But common sense would have told you that the match might be postponed so if you set off at 5am or whatever then you might have been at the ground by 8am. Daft.

If you were Colin or a player, you wouldn't have been awake when the decision was made.

What a load of clap trap. Do you actually attend away games? No way in a million years would you plan to get to an away game just an hour before KO, especially if it's over 150 miles away!

The coaches left between 5am - 7am depending on how far west they were. Most were less than 50 miles away when the dreaded call came.

1 hour ago, Barney_FFC said:

I went to the Derby Vs Fulham game and I have to say I am baffled by today’s decision. It was hard enough for me to get to the game this day and the snow definitely was worse than  what I could tell from there pictures from today.   I was far more convinced our game at the beginning of March was going to be called off I was amazed it went ahead in all honesty 

3 pm on a Saturday compared with 12 midday on a Sunday - no council on a Sunday ( barely any ) and today’s forecast was horrible and it’s about time people considered the actual supporters trying to get to games safely and home safely 

4 minutes ago, Bluebird1 said:

What a load of clap trap. Do you actually attend away games? No way in a million years would you plan to get to an away game just an hour before KO, especially if it's over 150 miles away!

The coaches left between 5am - 7am depending on how far west they were. Most were less than 50 miles away when the dreaded call came.

Normally just a taxi load isn’t it? 

If it was to be played at 3 pm it would have been so really it was 100% sky tv who mucked everything up 

I was looking forward to watching the under 23s playing today but never mind - oh wait a minute they are nearly all out on loan so it would have been the under 19s but never mind that either because they are a bit good

6 hours ago, GeneralRam said:

From what I can see here in lovely Tennessee is that the ground and surrounding area looks absolutely fine.

We can't just go calling off games because fans can't arrive from a few rural villages.

Cardiff is not a rural vill...actually, good point.

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I think most Derby fans have sympathy for the Cardiff fans who were travelling today. I've been there mate and it's bloody annoying. 

But for some, the anti Warnock feeling has been around for years and years. It wouldn't bother me if Cardiff were 1st or 21st. Warnock is annoying and if I was a fan if any other club, I'd look at today's rant / mardy and just think to myself, 'there he goes again'.

when he perceives an injustice, boy don't we all know about it.

when he's on the fortunate end of something, he laughs and jokes telling all that's just the way it goes.

he enjoyed his little moment in the spotlight today and the propaganda piece he engineered.

But good luck to Cardiff me owd. You're where we want to be, no denying it :thumbsup:

Brilliant couldn't agree more anybody interested in the match new by at least 9 ocklock that match was off it was on Sky BBC Talk Sport Radio 5  Then why does the team bus turn up 10- 50 because Warnock wanted his say on Sky  Don't get this why wasn't it cancelled on Saturday bit  I really hope Cardiff go up because they deserve to much rather them then Fulham or Villa 

18 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

3 pm on a Saturday compared with 12 midday on a Sunday - no council on a Sunday ( barely any ) and today’s forecast was horrible and it’s about time people considered the actual supporters trying to get to games safely and home safely 

It had also largely stopped snowing several days before the Fulham game, it was only the cold temperatures keeping the snow around. Whereas today, it snowed heavily overnight directly before the game, which combined with the early kick off, made it difficult to clear the paths etc.  I also seem to remember several mentions of the Fulham game getting called off IF it snowed again prior to the match, which it didn't.

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think declining to comment is the best way. Pity Warnock didn’t behave in a similar way instead of opening his big mouth like the spoilt kid that he is. The EFL have explained, the procedure was adhered to. Why do all the fans think every time there’s a Twitter/forum meltdown the club have to make a statement? Social media was in meltdown with bored Derby fans and hacked off Cardiff fans, why would the club respond to that kind of playground mardiness? 

Ok, I disagree, I'm not asking for anyone to get involved in a slanging match or respond to things, but putting someone in front of a camera giving a reasoned explanation of why the game was called off at the time it was would have headed off all the speculation and prevented much of the criticism before it even happened. That's all they needed to do, nice and early, and just the once.  Do it on Rams TV and syndicate so you're not even answering questions. It's dead easy.

That's not getting involved on Twitter or responding to anything other than giving a decent explanation to several thousand people already en route and plenty looking outside their windows looking at clear roads, wondering why the game is off. Give them some respect with a reasoned explanation rather than put a terse statement out online which says very little and then put the shutters down.

This isn't anything personal btw, I wasn't bothered one way or the other, I've got a season ticket and live locally so will go to the rescheduled game. I just think the club has allowed itself to be slagged off all over national tv and online unnecessarily.

Whatever you think of Warnock, when he is standing on Sky tv next to our pitch saying not one senior member of the club is even around - manager coaches, board members, anyone - it reflects badly on the club. 

Far more disruption round my way this time compared to the Fulham game.

I was disappointed it was called off, I checked the forecast last night, and checked again early this morning, when Johnnos' tweet went out, and had made the appropriate concessions to the weather, and imagined the club had done the same.

Imagine my surprise when I rolled out bed at 11.30 only to find the game wasn't on telly!

Watched Save Me on Sky box sets instead, now I'm doubly annoyed.

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Whatever you think of Warnock, when he is standing on Sky tv next to our pitch saying not one senior member of the club is even around - manager coaches, board members, anyone - it reflects badly on the club. 

I dunno, turning up to a game hours after you've been told it's been called off makes you look like a bit of a cretin to me.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You think the fans are just customers then?

Absolutely not. I have been a supporter of this club for just short of fifty years and consider this to be "my club" too. I just thought that this  ridiculously intense thread needed a bit of humour.

Archived