Derby Snow - Game called off

Day

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Can we put this to bed now?

The game was called off.

Warnock threw a tantrum, something which should surprise nobody given his track record

The Football League released a statement putting us in the clear.

Let the Cardiff fans and their rat faced knacker of a manager do the crying about it.

I would give this more likes if I could. 

Really dislike this “rat faced knacker of a manager” 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, my last word on the subject is that, as an NHS worker, I’m really glad that the emergency services didn’t have another 20+ thousand fans on the roads and pavements of Derbyshire to cope with. So in that respect it was a great decision. 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Anyway, my last word on the subject is that, as an NHS worker, I’m really glad that the emergency services didn’t have another 20+ thousand fans on the roads and pavements of Derbyshire to cope with. So in that respect it was a great decision. 

Don't be silly,  we should all have travelled the day before like warnock did.

34 minutes ago, IamDeathside said:

We set off from Hathersage about half 9am, popped up to Hope to collect another member of our party, and made into Derby for 11ish. All the main roads were fine, bit slushy in places and a bit of snow had blown across the road over Chatsworth. As tends to be that case, the hardest park of the journey was getting off our road. If you checked the road closures at that point it was the usual suspects, snake pass, Holme miss and some of the a515 between Buxton and Ashbourne that was shut etc etc.

We had to get into Derby as one of the lads was due to get the train back to London after the match from Derby station, so we just made an afternoon of it. There was heavy snow over night no doubt, and despite there being predicted ongoing snow throughout yesterday, we never saw any.

I don't doubt some fans may have had more difficult journey's and some would have had to apply some common sense to plan their trips. But our experience was in no way challenging, in terms of journey or getting around Derby. It was hardly snow'maggedon out there. 

The club has to make the decision regarding fan safety, and if I agree or not is small beer. I can see why Cardiff were aggrieved by it, and we were disappointed there was no match. But like the snow, it's hardly the end of the world.

I think you have to look at the big picture and not just your little bubble on the roads you managed to negotiate.

One car on the roads among a few others is one thing but potentially thousands all trying to get into the area is a recipe for disaster. One or two accidents and it can bring the whole place to a standstill. Not good for the emergency services who are trying to get around to the elderly, other accidents and what ever.

or you could look at it this way?

The beast from the east did not stop the Fulham match, the mini beast from the east stopped this game. Or maybe it was the prospect of a very inform beast from the west that tipped the balance.

Which ever way you look at it, it is done and moaning about it is not going to change anything. Best thing we can do is stuff Warnock when we do get to play them.

24 minutes ago, IamDeathside said:

No, there were two cars that travelled both needed about 10 minutes worth of digging off the drive. But given where we are, that's pretty much business as usual for any snow we get. In fairness it was more lethal this morning with all the ice that has formed. 

Certainly compared to things a couple of weeks ago, yesterday was nowhere close. I can get that some folk are less keen to travel when the weather is bad, so everyone will have different views on the decision yesterday. I have to dig myself out to get to work enough, so I'll happily do that for a football match :D

I don't give a stuff that Colin's upset by it, in fact I'm glad. But I think fans of both sides would have been disappointed by the decision yesterday.

I hated the fact the Fulham game was played it was unbearable weather and freezing and I was happy the Cardiff game was off. 

Both games should have been off and in the Fulham game I even noticed players slipping around even though the pitch has undersoil heating. 

In all seriousness IMO the right decision was made on a 12pm kickoff to postpone the game.

The wind chill was awful also. 

Final thought on this I think Derby would have beaten Cardiff if it had been played.   

We aint scared of Cardiff init lol. 

49 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Let it go mate.. He works for Cardiff City, they are in a great position, on a great run. Of course he is frustrated and now he has to play the game when he least wants to.. He wants what is best for his club, what's wrong with that? I would have expected any manager to get struck in like he has. Rowett might have if the boot was on the other foot.

Why do football fans take everything so personally? It seems abosutely taboo to critise DCFC? Why? Not saying we have done anything wrong but the fella is just looking after his club.. It makes no difference to me what he says or does.

Flip this around with some of Gary's comments after Forest. If Warnock would have said them, people would be up in arms on here.. No Gary said them about another club, he's a god. It's just football managers, nothing more, nothing less. He feels agrieved and from a CCFC point of view, he probably has a point. From a DCFC  point of view the game being off has been a plus. It should have blown over in a couple of hours but 60plus pages of hissy fits.. Really.

I don’t think I have been responsible for 60 plus pages lol .

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, curtains said:

I hated the fact the Fulham game was played it was unbearabe weather and freezing and I was happy the Cardiff game was off. 

Both games should have been off and in the Fulham game I even noticed players slipping around even though the pitch has undersoil heating. 

In all seriousness IMO the right decision was made on a 12pm kickoff to postpone the game.

The wind chill was awful also. 

Final thought on this I think Derby would have beaten Cardiff if it had been played.   

We aint scared of Cardiff. 

I think we were due a win too.

I still don't believe Gary was fist pumping at the game being called off. We don't want a fixture congestion as much as Cardiff don't.

What warnock and others fail to realise is not everyone lives within 1 mile of the ground, and not all of their roads were clear. It's quite possible it was easier to get to Derby from Cardiff than Belper.

The snow was moving south and they soon found out when they tried to get home.

A match day isn't just about the fans, players..it needs ground staff, stewards etc. Many of which I also doubt live within a stones throw either. 

If we had gone ahead without adequate stewards and something like happened at West ham last week happened warnock would have been the first one demanding to know why the game went ahead.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, curtains said:

I don’t think I have been responsible for 60 plus pages lol .

You're responsible for everything mate.  :D

18 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

The best way to stop talking about this is for the mods to close the thread 

It will then go into other threads and us mods would be accused of trying stop people from talking about it for whatever reason they want to throw out. 

2 hours ago, IamDeathside said:

Which ones? On our journey in from the Dark Peak into Derby yesterday there was little to fret about. We walked from town out to the stadium for some lunch at the Yard and it was hardly Scott of the Antarctic stuff. Or perhaps we were just lucky?

Was it a nice lunch? Because The Yard was closed. Did you drink snowballs and have Baked Alaska for pudding?

7 minutes ago, IamDeathside said:

No as you say it was shut, but we headed there for some lunch following this :whistle: 

Screenshot_20180319-134120.png

Why would you set of from Hathersage at 9am when the match was postponed at 8 30am did it not occur to you to check first 

16 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Why would you set of from Hathersage at 9am when the match was postponed at 8 30am did it not occur to you to check first

Mate came up from London, and was getting train back from Derby. So we just came in and had a few beers, essentially did the usual minus the match. Perhaps we should have stayed in fretting about the weather?

We did consider Sheffield, but since they were cancelling the buses etc, we figured the weather was probably worse over that way.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I think we were due a win too.

I still don't believe Gary was fist pumping at the game being called off. We don't want a fixture congestion as much as Cardiff don't.

What warnock and others fail to realise is not everyone lives within 1 mile of the ground, and not all of their roads were clear. It's quite possible it was easier to get to Derby from Cardiff than Belper.

The snow was moving south and they soon found out when they tried to get home.

A match day isn't just about the fans, players..it needs ground staff, stewards etc. Many of which I also doubt live within a stones throw either. 

If we had gone ahead without adequate stewards and something like happened at West ham last week happened warnock would have been the first one demanding to know why the game went ahead.

This is the issue.

Any organisation involving paying public have a duty of care to ensure to the best of their ability the safety of their paying guest/customer. This involves key members of staff being available to able to carry out their jobs. If there was any doubt that sufficient stewarding could be provided or sufficient catering or sufficient medical staff then the event would be in doubt. Further if they were irresponsible and carried on despite insufficient key staff and a serious incident happened to an individual(s) then the organisation would be open to claims of negligence.

Simple really. Colin can get stuffed!!

Archived