Derby set pieces

Sparkle

I have to say how disappointing our attacking set pieces have been this season considering how big our side is and the advantage that brings and our free kick shots have been basically dreadful apart from one from Vydra early in the season 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I have to say how disappointing our attacking set pieces have been this season considering how big our side is and the advantage that brings and our free kick shots have been basically dreadful apart from one from Vydra early in the season 

You saved me writing a post, watching us yesterday the amount of free kicks we had in a central area just outside the penalty box that we contrived to blast at the wall was totally shocking. Although we did nearly score direct from a corner in the first half if that was actually intended......

There might be a rew more goals if referees gave penalties for holding. 

Fox had his arms right around hddlestone. Blatant penalty but no chance of it being given. 

52 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There might be a rew more goals if referees gave penalties for holding. 

Fox had his arms right around hddlestone. Blatant penalty but no chance of it being given. 

You're right but, be careful what you wish for. I'm sure we're just as guilty.

I liked Lawrence's amazing hit from the corner that was flying into the goal but for a great stop on the line. Said in the match thread it was Hinton-esque.

I liked Lawrence playing it low across the box for Weimann early in the game, even though it didn't work out and we lost the ball. But the way we set up at corners and freekicks is shocking and showed again when we did lose the ball. We have no one one the edge of the box or just outside, so our opponents are simply free to carry it the full length of the field unchalllenged to attack us on the counter.

The most stupid freekick we did, which we've tried a couple of times lately, was to waste three players, having two of them move the ball six inches to the left to give the players in the wall loads of time to run out and block Johnson's freekick. What's that about?

When the wall jumps, not once did we try to go under.

When everyone is expecting a shot and the wall has sucked in loads of defenders, why oh why can't we be a little bit creative generate a much better opportunity?

Corners don't generally lead to goals, but ours appear worse than most, especially given the stature of out team. It seemed from our positioning as though we were trying to do something diffferent, sometimes having no one in the box and everyone as runners (or presumably blockers) on the outside waiting for the charge. It didn't work but at least it was different.

I like Baird's power corners when he's been blasting them in. I think Lawrence tries to do that sometimes now. Floaty corners are pretty much useless.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I liked Lawrence's amazing hit from the corner that was flying into the goal but for a great stop on the line. Said in the match thread it was Hinton-esque.

I liked Lawrence playing it low across the box for Weimann early in the game, even though it didn't work out and we lost the ball. But the way we set up at corners and freekicks is shocking and showed again when we did lose the ball. We have no one one the edge of the box or just outside, so our opponents are simply free to carry it the full length of the field unchalllenged to attack us on the counter.

The most stupid freekick we did, which we've tried a couple of times lately, was to waste three players, having two of them move the ball six inches to the left to give the players in the wall loads of time to run out and block Johnson's freekick. What's that about?

When the wall jumps, not once did we try to go under.

When everyone is expecting a shot and the wall has sucked in loads of defenders, why oh why can't we be a little bit creative generate a much better opportunity?

Corners don't generally lead to goals, but ours appear worse than most, especially given the stature of out team. It seemed from our positioning as though we were trying to do something diffferent, sometimes having no one in the box and everyone as runners (or presumably blockers) on the outside waiting for the charge. It didn't work but at least it was different.

I like Baird's power corners when he's been blasting them in. I think Lawrence tries to do that sometimes now. Floaty corners are pretty much useless.

Agree with your comment on Baird....he puts some lovely accurate corners into the box and much more consistently than lawrence...

I think the most priority this year was to stop us conceding set-pieces, which we absolutely have. That’s been a massive improvement.

With the sort of attacking team we are, I’d have liked us to maybe score more from set-pieces but we are a threat. Had quite a few corners this year where we’ve hit the post or got unlucky.

The focus of a good team should never be overtly on set-pieces though, should be creating enough goal scoring opportunities throughout a game to not need set-piece goals, they should be a bonus.

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I think the most priority this year was to stop us conceding set-pieces, which we absolutely have. That’s been a massive improvement.

With the sort of attacking team we are, I’d have liked us to maybe score more from set-pieces but we are a threat. Had quite a few corners this year where we’ve hit the post or got unlucky.

The focus of a good team should never be overtly on set-pieces though, should be creating enough goal scoring opportunities throughout a game to not need set-piece goals, they should be a bonus.

tell that to cloughy ;) 

4 hours ago, David said:

Saw this stat the other week on corners, 3% chance in the Premier League, with Newcastle top of the Poem scoring 7 from 128 corners at the time of writing, conversion rate of 5.47%

Annoyingly that was posted immediately before the Fulham game where we conceded the first goal from a corner :pinch:

It'd help if we had a wide player that could cross. Lawrence's 2 set pieces both always fall flat: the floater or the deceptive curled shot at goal...

When Huddlestone can deliver the best cross in your team, you know you're severely lacking end product out wide...

Archived