Derby set pieces

Sparkle

1 hour ago, WharfedaleRam said:

I must say I cannot understand why Tommy H, a man who can land a ball on a penny piece from 40 yards, doesn't take our free kicks around the opposition penalty area?!

I could never understand why top players who could accurately pass the ball 40 yards  to a team mate can't simply pass the ball onto the corner of the goal. Todd and Huddlestone spring to mind. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

I must say I cannot understand why Tommy H, a man who can land a ball on a penny piece from 40 yards, doesn't take our free kicks around the opposition penalty area?!

Yes that's always been a mystery to me 

On 12/03/2018 at 09:15, Sparkle said:

I have to say how disappointing our attacking set pieces have been this season considering how big our side is and the advantage that brings and our free kick shots have been basically dreadful apart from one from Vydra early in the season 

Derby county couldnt set a table between em ?

15 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. The very best dead-ball exponents are the ones where the team create a "diversion"...straining to remember but didn't Scotland once score a beauty where one player ran as if to "shoot" only for a teammate to suddenly break from the wall and stop the team-mate from shooting {by placing himself between the ball and "kicker" as if to say "you're not taking it"} and whilst everybody "stopped" a second Scotland player ran and shot from the other side of the ball and scored. I'm sure I didn't dream it...I think Joe Jordan was involved. 

ps edit. OK so it was Notts County ladies...:mellow:

Easy mistake to make:lol:

joe jordan/Laura Bassett......where’s that famous photo of joe jordan snarling with no teeth? 

16 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Think this is because he needs to be back in case of a counter a lot of the time. When it’s safe to do so he has taken some, quite rightly as he’s certainly the most accurate passer we have.

52 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think this is because he needs to be back in case of a counter a lot of the time. When it’s safe to do so he has taken some, quite rightly as he’s certainly the most accurate passer we have.

Solution - Stick Vyds in the box for any unlikely rebounds and put the other 8 on the half way line for the tiny chance that Tom won't score direct! (Unless it's an indirect free kick of course!)

I’m amazed at the lack of inventive thought with free kicks. Not just by Derby.

That’s a beauty, the female of the species was certainly more deadly than the male for that one.

De Bruyne rolling it under the wall has been done before but when used once in a blue moon (see what I did there) the surprise element works a treat.  :)

On 13/03/2018 at 16:09, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. The very best dead-ball exponents are the ones where the team create a "diversion"...straining to remember but didn't Scotland once score a beauty where one player ran as if to "shoot" only for a teammate to suddenly break from the wall and stop the team-mate from shooting {by placing himself between the ball and "kicker" as if to say "you're not taking it"} and whilst everybody "stopped" a second Scotland player ran and shot from the other side of the ball and scored. I'm sure I didn't dream it...I think Joe Jordan was involved. 

ps edit. OK so it was Notts County ladies...:mellow:

Love these types of freekicks.

Things like where players run into each other and then one quickly whips the ball in while the opposition's laughing.

Earlier in the season Rowett said he left attacking set pieces up to the players to work on themselves. If that's the case they should be bonused on creative ideas that lead to goals.

I did think during the gumps match we at least tried a couple of things, so I'm prepared to stick with it.

And Jamie Hanson has always been good with them, so maybe he can demonstrate his worth to the team by bagging a couple of goals and keeping his place once the others return?

Archived