Rowett

Rowett v Forest  

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really, REALLY want Gary Rowett to do well. I've not enjoyed much of this season (ok, Hull, Boro away and Gumps apart), but it's still all to play for.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie said:

I really, REALLY want Gary Rowett to do well. I've not enjoyed much of this season (ok, Hull, Boro away and Gumps apart), but it's still all to play for.

Eddie you forgot villa at home 

For me the most disappointing aspect of our club is the total lack of progress over the last 4 seasons when we finished 3rd in 2014. We've changed managers and playing staff multiple times but haven't progressed as a club one iota and this malaise runs at the heart of the club. There seems to be a fixation on here on calling out the existing manager but the current infrastructure of the club needs to be scrutinised together with the stewardship of the club at a much higher level.

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

However, of the 8/9 posters really unhappy with Rowett, I imagine the same names will crop up who seem really unhappy and critical of Mel, the academy, rams tv, why we postponed Sunday’s match (and automatically jumping on the anti/DCFC bandwagon) and so on.  There is often a lack of balance or even willingness to consider an alternative view which irks and which undoubtedly leads to the same arguments cropping up time and time again.  Obviously the same could be said from those who won’t hear a word said against anybody.  

Wow - that’s really long!! Sorry (trying to avoid work)

Don't know who the 8/9 are supposed to be but this is pure cobblers - you are simply crudely labelling fans with a different view on Rowett cos adding all those other negative things helps discredit them , even when you don't know if those things really apply to these people.. Do you expect to be taken seriously?

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Don't know who the 8/9 are supposed to be but this is pure cobblers - you are simply crudely labelling fans with a different view on Rowett cos adding all those other negative things helps discredit them , even when you don't know if those things really apply to these people.. Do you expect to be taken seriously?

Just looked at your last 10 or so posts.................You are definitely one of them! :lol:

I've got no problem with people having a pop at the club, manager, team, if it's warranted, just give praise when it's due.

But some people just can't seem to see anything positive about the club at the moment and no matter how we play (if we play) or what the result of a game, they will find something to moan about. If we win, it's down to the players or the opposition being poor, if we lose, it's down to GR and his tactics or his coaching staff.

10 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

For me the most disappointing aspect of our club is the total lack of progress over the last 4 seasons when we finished 3rd in 2014. We've changed managers and playing staff multiple times but haven't progressed as a club one iota and this malaise runs at the heart of the club. There seems to be a fixation on here on calling out the existing manager but the current infrastructure of the club needs to be scrutinised together with the stewardship of the club at a much higher level.

I think Mel is learning from past mistakes and he's admitted that he's got things wrong. The way he works with GR seems to be different to how it's been with the previous managers and hopefully this will see things improve throughout the club.

3 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Yeah, I've watched literally every game and attended one at home. But @Mistaram wants to imply that I'm not entitled to an opinion

I knew you would have, and it is a snobbery that annoys me. It was done on another thread about going to the under 23 games. 

25 minutes ago, rynny said:

I knew you would have, and it is a snobbery that annoys me. It was done on another thread about going to the under 23 games. 

This is what I personally can't stand, and seems to be quite prevalent at the moment.

Not that particular poster btw, but anyone who's opinion obviously matters more because they've seen every game, at every level, since forever.

Even other teams and players they know more about, and then state opinion as fact.

It's right up there with 'What level have you played at, to think that way? As if you only can have a viewpoint if you've played at a semi-pro level at least.

While I'm on a moan, this sort of post makes the forum hard work too.

2 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

judge him when the dust as settled,don't think he will be jumping ship and running to Newcastle though do you?

Why? Wtf has that got to do with Rowett? 

Is it that Mac's agent wasn't as good as Gary's, so missed out on improving his clients contract when the first club came sniffing?

Is that what the poster is saying?

Posts like this do far more to disengage me than anything else, it's so boring to retread old ground constantly, whether pro or anti Gary.

I'm still on the forum far too much, but much like real life, I find the pub more and more appealing.

Maybe @David should think about a stand alone forum based on the Pub thread. 

p.s. On very rare occasions I find the moderation on here over cautious, but on balance it's a much better forum than any other I've so far seen on a range of topics, so well done for that.

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

This is what I personally can't stand, and seems to be quite prevalent at the moment.

Not that particular poster btw, but anyone who's opinion obviously matters more because they've seen every game, at every level, since forever.

Even other teams and players they know more about, and then state opinion as fact.

It's right up there with 'What level have you played at, to think that way? As if you only can have a viewpoint if you've played at a semi-pro level at least.

While I'm on a moan, this sort of post makes the forum hard work too.

Why? Wtf has that got to do with Rowett? 

Is it that Mac's agent wasn't as good as Gary's, so missed out on improving his clients contract when the first club came sniffing?

Is that what the poster is saying?

Posts like this do far more to disengage me than anything else, it's so boring to retread old ground constantly, whether pro or anti Gary.

I'm still on the forum far too much, but much like real life, I find the pub more and more appealing.

Maybe @David should think about a stand alone forum based on the Pub thread. 

p.s. On very rare occasions I find the moderation on here over cautious, but on balance it's a much better forum than any other I've so far seen on a range of topics, so well done for that.

That is the other one that does my head in as well. Along with "if you know so much why aren't you manager?" or "I expect Mel will be giving you a call soon as you know so much". Football snobbery.

I think sometimes a break from posting is good a thing. I do it every so often, still read and around being nosey but just refrain from getting involved in the bickering. 

I saw the post and wanted to respond but felt like there is no point. If people want to be obtuse about what happened 4 years ago there is little point trying to correct them now, they have their narrative and nothing anyone can say, not even Mike Ashley, Sam Rush, Steve Mac etc. their mind has been made up that Mac did us wrong by joining Newcastle after we sacked him. Didn't deny the rumours ferociously enough (or at all with some people) yet what happens if we sack Rowett at the end of the season and he joins Stoke will that be the reason we dropped from 2nd this season? 

Going back to @Ninos, funny how he is mia now we have a Mac-esc run he told all and sundry won't happen under Rowett.

Just my take on this debate as I too am a bit fed up of very similar discussions going round in circles from the same few posters. For me, the pros and antis are equally annoying  when they are just repeating entrenched views without adding anything new to the debate. 

I am lucky at the moment to watch a lot of Derby matches live and sometimes those performances make me optimistic for the future, sometimes not so. What I try to comment on is what I have seen, not what I  want to see to suit a particular viewpoint. Once I've made my point I tend to sit back and wait for something new to comment on, which again might change my views in another direction.

Sometimes I agree with the happy clappers and sometimes with the naysayers and will say so. But generally only once! 

All I'd ask is a plea for posters to think whether they are adding something new to the debate before they post. If not, maybe look for a different topic - like a bit of reminiscing over past players, or make up a silly song for Colin, or discuss the potential of our under 23s, or who is going to win Mastermind! (My money is on no-one pipping Curtis.)

I enjoy most of this Forum very much but we do have a collective responsibility to look after it and not drive people away (sorry if I  have driven anyone away with this long post!) 

I find that's there's little middle ground on the forum anymore; threads are started with hysterical titles such as must win game on Tuesday inevitably cranking up the false expectations immediately.

There's also far too many self proclaimed football management aficionados whom are quick to post after a defeat and dissect posthumously what mistakes were made after the event, hindsight being a wonderful tool, I can see why Mourinho gets so defensive about so called experts whom have never managed a football club before casting aspersions in a television studio after the event.

On 20/03/2018 at 13:31, Mr Giggles said:

I am sick of this Circle Jerk between you an @RoyMac5... Kills me that you are so anti Rowett, we have one of the most promising young British managers in the game, yet due to the fact that the football is always entertaining you want rid.

How can you justify calling for his head given the positions we have been in for the majority of the season, and to think it is his full season at the club, with a small pot to piss in when it comes to budget

You cant swim against the tide, Giggles

Its the way they live their lives, they are just inherently negative.

Its not even their fault, they have some deep-rooted issues from their past that they cannot shake off. They need help.

Let them congregate in their small world of loser-dom, where they can mix with like-minded folk and achieve the closest they will ever get to contentment

And press that ignore button

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just my take on this debate as I too am a bit fed up of very similar discussions going round in circles from the same few posters. For me, the pros and antis are equally annoying  when they are just repeating entrenched views without adding anything new to the debate. 

I am lucky at the moment to watch a lot of Derby matches live and sometimes those performances make me optimistic for the future, sometimes not so. What I try to comment on is what I have seen, not what I  want to see to suit a particular viewpoint. Once I've made my point I tend to sit back and wait for something new to comment on, which again might change my views in another direction.

Sometimes I agree with the happy clappers and sometimes with the naysayers and will say so. But generally only once! 

All I'd ask is a plea for posters to think whether they are adding something new to the debate before they post. If not, maybe look for a different topic - like a bit of reminiscing over past players, or make up a silly song for Colin, or discuss the potential of our under 23s, or who is going to win Mastermind! (My money is on no-one pipping Curtis.)

I enjoy most of this Forum very much but we do have a collective responsibility to look after it and not drive people away (sorry if I  have driven anyone away with this long post!) 

Well said (or written to be correct).

I have no problem at all with anyone having a difference of opinion to mine- that's their absolute right. What occasionally bugs me with some posters is why, having made their view of a topic perfectly clear to all and sundry, they seem to use every opportunity on a very tenuous thread to make an indirect (but obvious) dig to further emphasise that view.

You just know, when you see the name come up "here he goes again, how long will it take him to have a pop at x, y or z". 

5 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Just an afterthought I've had - what actually does annoy me is people who claim to be supporters of the club seeming to revel or bask in the club, manager or a player failing as they feel it vindicates their criticism. I think that's where people stray out from the realm of "supporter" - it just comes across as malicious.

Any examples of this? Apart from Craig Bryson’s brother from the valleys, I don’t think this is valid of any poster on here. 

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

I’ll be one ☝️. Now, I’ve tried to bring humour to a lot of my posts on most threads on here, however, I feel my opinion on the club’s current manager is not the thread for levity, nor it would appear, honesty or the gut instinct that’s served me well throughout my life however wrong that may turn out to be in this case. (It turns out it was correct regarding Mr Rush)

Rowett’s supporters continually bitch about “the 8 or 9/the usual subjects” criticising him, well newsflash, I’m sick and tired of  continuously being called out for having the opinion I do, I don’t call out the people I think are being conned by a man who says one thing and does another.

To that end and to tow the party line, I will refrain from any comment on the manager in future thus reducing your 8/9 to 7/8. Should they follow my lead, everybody will be singing from the same hymn sheet as it were and everybody will be happy no one is rocking the Rowett boat.

Happy days  :no:

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

Rowett’s supporters continually bitch about “the 8 or 9/the usual subjects” criticising him, well newsflash, I’m sick and tired of  continuously being called out for having the opinion I do, I don’t call out the people I think are being conned by a man who says one thing and does another.

I think you're doing a lot of people on here a disservice; they'll be intelligent enough to determine whether Rowett is indeed conning them as you allude to and will alter their judgements of him accordingly.

Archived