Rowett

Rowett v Forest  

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Mr Giggles said:

I am sick of this Circle Jerk between you an @RoyMac5... Kills me that you are so anti Rowett, we have one of the most promising young British managers in the game, yet due to the fact that the football is always entertaining you want rid.

How can you justify calling for his head given the positions we have been in for the majority of the season, and to think it is his full season at the club, with a small pot to piss in when it comes to budget

he's alright i suppose... depends what you're into. hes just not been as good as mcclaren results wise and games are unbelievably dull to watch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, superfit said:

As for 'small pot to piss in' you do realise we have one of the highest wage bills in the league?          

Maybe, but how much of that relates to players he inherited, doesn't want, yet can't (as yet) move on ?

Do you know what this year's wage bill is going to be?

17 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Maybe, but how much of that relates to players he inherited, doesn't want, yet can't (as yet) move on ?

Do you know what this year's wage bill is going to be?

No he doesn't because when your biased you don't want to ?

27 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

he's alright i suppose... depends what you're into. hes just not been as good as mcclaren results wise and games are unbelievably dull to watch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes I bet you have seen a lot of this team in Los Angeles 

8 hours ago, Mr Giggles said:

I am sick of this Circle Jerk between you an @RoyMac5... Kills me that you are so anti Rowett, we have one of the most promising young British managers in the game, yet due to the fact that the football is always entertaining you want rid.

How can you justify calling for his head given the positions we have been in for the majority of the season, and to think it is his full season at the club, with a small pot to piss in when it comes to budget

I am glad to see sense being rewarded with likes.

I am old enough to to remember the 72-73 season. The greats were greeted on to the pitch with the song "we are the champions" sung badly by a Liverpool team, not the brilliant song by Queen which came later!

We played rubbishy football sometimes in that season and the song seemed to mock us. Everyone knows the historic events that followed. Since Mackay's Marvels went on to win the 74-75 title each season has been an anti-climax in comparison.

We are a good top six Championship team with a very promising manager. Anything can happen in this funny old game!

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Promising?....

Took apart a team and replaced it's talents with journeymen when he should have been building on the team.

Our playing style is awful and the results are following on in a similar vein.

As archied states,he is a young manager so he gets slack for that and the fact that he used to play for Derby.

Why is he promising exactly?

Mac was sacked last season when the team went into a decline results wise...why should gr be treated any differently?

52VjAeGgj78GY.gif

Hudds and Davies although getting to the back end of their careers can’t fairly be described as journey men in a championship side ,in fact both have been a revelation and amongst our best players this season ,,, Winnall can’t be described as a journeyman ,he’s a young promising striker with a fantastic scoring record as he’s come up the leagues , Lawrence though not been brilliant yet ( though I have tried to look at his performances with fresh eyes since others saw a bit more than me in him) he hasn’t been as poor as I perhaps felt he has been , he’s a young decently rated international with potential to improve so a journeyman? Lookman deal was done but player choose to not come last minute ,, not a journeyman, Kasey Palmer loan ,not a journeyman,, jerome you may have a case but to be fair he’s played at a higher level than any of our strikers apart from bent , nugent poss? 

Kash you don’t like the way we set up/play under rowett this season and that’s fair enough but it’s unfair to let that totally cloud your view of all things rowett ,,,,, for me the one really exciting player rowett let go is Hughes and I would have perhaps tried to get him to buy into another crack at promotion ? Ince I think we got the top end of what he was worth or will be worth again and more replaceable , he has not done great in prem ,

love or hate rowett that’s fine but all I ask is a fair assessment of him all round ,I’m the same with Mac or any other manager come to that

On 15/03/2018 at 17:06, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I just don't see any progress in the squad....in fact,Gary seems to have made some players worse(Nugent, Lawrence...both of whom I admire for their skills normally).

Lawrence skills? I must have slept through that match! 

Also where is the balance? Have you seen no improvement in Carson, Baird, Keogh, Weimann and Vydra?

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Also where is the balance? Have you seen no improvement in Carson, Baird, Keogh, Weimann and Vydra?

Baird is no better than during his first resurrection, which wasn't when Rowett was in charge. Vydra's improvement is due to where he is played i.e. not out on a wing.

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Carson ? Probably the main reason that people think he has got better is under age he has a lot more to do.

Baird ? Has he improved or is it just that the system suits him more as he doesn’t need to be attacking full back.

Weimann, ok.

Vydra, was always a good player when played in his right position, even then let’s not forget under GR at the beginning he often found himself on the bench.

Keogh, agreed and seems no surprise giving the way he plays it’s mostly defensive players that you call out.

Lawerence was a good champ player under other managers so for balance has he gone backwards under GR? I’m struggling to think of a player from the U23s he has brought through, Forsyth and Olson both gone backwards...because they like to get forward ? Same for Wisdom who has spent time on the bench? GT has struggled, fitness or because his game is based upon passing on the floor and needs options ?

The key of course will be the final league position as you could debate about the players for ever - I wonder how many have now changed their mind about this and would now say that finishing outside the play offs is a good season ?

1 minute ago, DRBee said:

Baird is no better than during his first resurrection, which wasn't when Rowett was in charge. Vydra's improvement is due to where he is played i.e. not out on a wing.

So bad things are due to Rowett and good things are due to.......what....Venus rising in Sagittarius?

I'm by no means a Rowett happy clapper but for god's sake, he deserves some credit.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Carson ? Probably the main reason that people think he has got better is under age he has a lot more to do.

Baird ? Has he improved or is it just that the system suits him more as he doesn’t need to be attacking full back.

Weimann, ok.

Vydra, was always a good player when played in his right position, even then let’s not forget under GR at the beginning he often found himself on the bench.

Keogh, agreed and seems no surprise giving the way he plays it’s mostly defensive players that you call out.

Lawerence was a good champ player under other managers so for balance has he gone backwards under GR? I’m struggling to think of a player from the U23s he has brought through, Forsyth and Olson both gone backwards...because they like to get forward ? Same for Wisdom who has spent time on the bench? GT has struggled, fitness or because his game is based upon passing on the floor and needs options ?

The key of course will be the final league position as you could debate about the players for ever - I wonder how many have now changed their mind about this and would now say that finishing outside the play offs is a good season ?

Olsson’s has always been absolutely terrible and Forsyth has had two horrible injuries. I won’t even start on your point about Vydra.

I mean, I like Rowett but he has his flaws. There seems to be a tendency for his critics to just make stuff up which does nothing but discredit their valid points.

19 minutes ago, DRBee said:

So does GR not deserve a bit of praise for playing a player in a position that gets the most out of his star player instead of shoehorning him into a system that doesnt suit him?

Its all a bit discouraging coming on here these days. Always has been to an extent I suppose. I'm sure most come on here initially to share tittle tattle and views on "our" team but in reality it just seems to degenerate into a battle to defend DCFC from sniping you normally expect from opposing supporters and detractors. 

Some will say "I am allowed to express how I feel" and that's true but I'm sure most balanced supporters can see that we are not a complete team without being constantly reminded of it. Personally I try to always try to look for the good. What's the point otherwise.? Where is the joy? 

I strongly feel this relentless criticism by some, and that's what it is, relentless, is more to do with ego and winning the argument than anything else.

18 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What's the point otherwise.? Where is the joy? 

Where indeed. Thing is for lots of us there was lots of joy in previous seasons - maybe afterall it isn't just about the destination it's how you get there? If all I wanted was to watch successful, pretty football then I could be a Barca fan, but I'm a Derby fan. It's in my blood. It matters. :thumbsup:

For me it's nothing to do with winning the argument, it's the concern about where another season is going (I ain't getting any younger!). If someone posts an excellent riposte to lots of the negative feelings that are around Derby at the minute then I'll listen, trouble is it all seems to be based on one premise: Rowett is an up and coming bright young thing give him time. I'm wanting to see what the premise is based on.

Anyway, the good news is while we're winning there's less negativity. Oh but we're not... :ph34r: :lol:

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

it's the concern about where another season is going (I ain't getting any younger]

Me too unfortunately the fact that the likes of us who are in the Autumn [ok Winter] of our years are unlikely to see the type of success again that we were lucky enough to witness in our youth.  

We need a concerted campaign to make Mel spend all his dosh so we can die happy.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Gary has, for the large part, managed to move on many players that most would have referred to as “deadwood”. He has stabilised us whilst still competing for the playoffs.

You would imagine the wage bill is fairly significantly reduced, perhaps leaving an opportunity to seek the younger, more energetic players that might add some dynamism to our team. I am optimistic that from this solid base, we may be more expansive next season, and go one better than where I expect this season to end.

It is his first full season with us - and I for one didn’t expect anyone to deal with all the issues we had, whilst stealing a march on the division.

I am not sure I expect that next season, but as ever, as a Derby fan, I believe next season could be the one. COYR’s.

1 minute ago, Igorwasking said:

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Gary has, for the large part, managed to move on many players that most would have referred to as “deadwood”. He has stabilised us whilst still competing for the playoffs..

Who? Bryson, Martin, Butterfield, Anya all still under contract to DCFC.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who? Bryson, Martin, Butterfield, Anya all still under contract to DCFC.

For me Bryson and Martin aren't deadwood. They're players who I'd welcome back her with open arms.

But I also agree I don't think he has got rid of the deadwood and we've actually brought in dying wood that will become deadwood within the next couple of seasons. Too much wood.

Archived