Rowett

Rowett v Forest  

252 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nothing wrong with the forum, vice versa. It's damn brilliant, hats off to @David and his minions.

As always, the problem is the people. Not the utter nuts as you can always ignore them, but (dare I say) us, who have a bit more balanced view about what's happening on the field etc.. I'm pretty confident we are the majority, we just don't post often enough and silence the polarized and biased views. It's like politics, fake news or lobbying, who shouts more often and loudest gets heard. Silent majority just follows and gets frustrated when the correct procedure would be action.

To the barricades, non-biased comrades! Start writing, I don't have time!!

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its always worth remembering a couple of things before getting too upset over the negativity thing :

• DCFCfans itself houses an incredibly small minority of Rams fans.So there is no need to worry that views expressed on it somehow represent the overall view of fans
  • You then actually look at the volume of posts being made by the anti-brigade and it becomes apparent that they are dominated by a very small number indeed - say 6 to 12. That is such an infinitesimal proportion of all Rams fans as to be completely  irrelevant (not saying they aren't entitled to an opinion, but its a different matter entirely as to whether that opinion needs to be respected)
  • The old adage that he who shouts loudest gets heard is in my view very true. And generally its often only the ones with a grievance who feel the need to shout. So, right from the off, for some people to make the effort to come on here and post, they have got something 'bad' to shout about to motivate them to do so. I'm a great believer in the silent majority.
  • Theres also a great old adage about todays newspapers and tomorrows fish and chip papers. Its just not worth taking many posts too seriously, they haven't got the depth or supporting strength of argument to avoid being binned as oily old fish and chip wrapping tomorrow.

As for the website itself, its absolutely magnificent and a huge testament to its founder.

Its not just the technical side, its the maturity and even handedness in which he conducts himself. 

He should be very proud of both it and himself and maybe some folks should be careful not to take either for granted

8 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I think you're doing a lot of people on here a disservice; they'll be intelligent enough to determine whether Rowett is indeed conning them as you allude to and will alter their judgements of him accordingly.

Not like the poster who insinuates those of us yet to be convinced Rowett will be good for this club are ill and in need of help ? I trust you’ve quoted him as well ? 

If not, take a hike. 

27 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I find that's there's little middle ground on the forum anymore; threads are started with hysterical titles such as must win game on Tuesday inevitably cranking up the false expectations immediately.

There's also far too many self proclaimed football management aficionados whom are quick to post after a defeat and dissect posthumously what mistakes were made after the event, hindsight being a wonderful tool, I can see why Mourinho gets so defensive about so called experts whom have never managed a football club before casting aspersions in a television studio after the event.

This is what I think has happened short term to which it’s evolved into.

First came the big Rowett debate, ie the people who believed as long as we were winning games then Rowett is king vs the ‘im not quite sure I like his football/how long it’ll last’. This came November time and the first few blows were struck

As December came, we entered the great Chris Martin swindle. Now this has actually been going on 2+ years but it felt like this time was when the battle lines were drawn because it became a debate about style, about players and about the old vs new. Eventually Martin left which rendered it all pointless and many sad.

But once those battle lines were drawn we are since left with Rowett vs Mac, it’s actually been quite interesting especially because while it’s happened Rowett’s hit a stumbling block. It’s probsblt also really what the whole thing has been about really.

In reality, I think it’s all settled down, a few of Rowett’s flaws have been exposed to deem him not perfect and discussions have been mostly constructive about what’s gone wrong. People have kinda come back into the middle and I do think the forums been better...now where’s my ‘I love Chris Martin’ mug?

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

Not like the poster who insinuates those of us yet to be convinced Rowett will be good for this club are ill and in need of help ? I trust you’ve quoted him as well ? 

If not, take a hike. 

I profess I've not seen that comment so you have the advantage on me; please enlighten me. 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

I profess I've not seen that comment so you have the advantage on me; please enlighten me. 

Page 28 from a member called Bobby D, about 4 posts up from my original post you quoted.

And this is the man who bellows at his targets as he belittles those that “shout the loudest”. The man’s a clown.

49 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’ll be one ☝️. Now, I’ve tried to bring humour to a lot of my posts on most threads on here, however, I feel my opinion on the club’s current manager is not the thread for levity, nor it would appear, honesty or the gut instinct that’s served me well throughout my life however wrong that may turn out to be in this case. (It turns out it was correct regarding Mr Rush)

Rowett’s supporters continually bitch about “the 8 or 9/the usual subjects” criticising him, well newsflash, I’m sick and tired of  continuously being called out for having the opinion I do, I don’t call out the people I think are being conned by a man who says one thing and does another.

To that end and to tow the party line, I will refrain from any comment on the manager in future thus reducing your 8/9 to 7/8. Should they follow my lead, everybody will be singing from the same hymn sheet as it were and everybody will be happy no one is rocking the Rowett boat.

Happy days  :no:

Well said fella.. I guess I will be labelled as one as well.. Couple of veiled comments about the academy on this thread that might or might not be aimed at recent posts I have made Think I will stick to The Pub..

Scratch one more..

Think all people are asking for is a bit of balance, be it positively leaning or negatively, you still need to be fair to things Gary has done right/ hasn’t. It’s the posts that insinuate Rowett is some sort of Pearson sequence demon who’s destroyed the club that irk me, equally so do the Rowett is the saviour all other managers have been useless sort of statement. It’s only by a minority but wouldn’t it help to take off your pro/anti Rowett glasses and assess the current situation fairly with a bit of balance? I appreciate some fans may take issue with some of the things Rowetts done and that’s fair but it shouldn’t cloud their judgement about everything imo.

Personally Rowetts done a decent if unspectacular job for me. The financial restraints have made things hard for him but he’s done a decent job of rebuilding the spine of the team and making us more organised. The style of football hasn’t been as atrocious as some people try to make out (god help them at the hawthorns!) but it’s not exactly been brilliant either so criticism is fair, just this hoofball stuff isn’t imo, bar a few games the stats suggest otherwise. Just little things like that annoy me, just seem to be trying to make Rowett seem like the antichrist because he replaced Mac.

The other thing is the irony of some posters who have in the past been staunch Mac/ Martin supporters and have shut down anyone who disagreed with them as complete fools are now complaining that the same thing is happening to them! FWIW I think everyone should be entitled to their views and this forum does a brilliant job of allowing that to happen, but I can’t help but see the irony is the tables turning here, even if some of the anti Mac etc posts were also unfair.

4 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Yes also a season ticket holder which I pay for so I think in entitled to my say as much as you are ?

Yes, yes of course. You’d think they’d slip you a season ticket gratis mind for all your missionary work on here. 

40 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Yes why not David doesn't mind why should you fella

I think the issue would be with the club, if anything. If I went on a fan forum related to my line of work, and engaged/argued/berated fans, I'd probably be out of a job before long.

2 hours ago, BobbyD said:

You cant swim against the tide, Giggles

Its the way they live their lives, they are just inherently negative.

Its not even their fault, they have some deep-rooted issues from their past that they cannot shake off. They need help.

Let them congregate in their small world of loser-dom, where they can mix with like-minded folk and achieve the closest they will ever get to contentment

And press that ignore button

Please do.

Right, what am I missing? Who's employed by the club? As what? When? What's the implications other than an opinion?

Unless it's Gary or a player, I'm not bothered. If it's Gary or a player then 'now then, how's it going?'

Actually, if it's you Gary, can we have a word about your footwear please? You either need some adidas originals or some Paul Smith (yeah I know it's notts) shoes / boots. The rest is fine as a work in progress. Maybe add a nice Vialli inspired tank top and shirt combo for the forthcoming spring season but time to ditch the Barbour esque padded quilt jacket. A bit 2016.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

We must remember their reigns very differently if you would compare a team sat in 5th position with the 5th best strike force and 3rd best defence with either of their teams.

I don't mean to compare their teams. Obviously the teams were at very different etc. I meant GR personally reminds me of John Gregory and Phil Brown.

Is that interpreted as a criticism? Its an observation.  

John gregory was a former player. He had been manager of aston villa before he came to us. He'd done ok there but his time there was up. when he came to us he was the obvious choice as manager. He'd also had success at wycombe. He had a reputation as a coach. All of that is reminiscent of gary, birmingham and burton. But its also the way he carries himself. Self-Confident. Maybe a touch of arrogance. He signed a couple of veterens - rob lee and warren barton. He could be a bit touchy. I see alot of that in Gary. For example at the recent forum he was asked a question about why he always played 4231 and were we going to see anything else? Fair question. gary laughed but his reply was sarcastic. "Yeah i fink i'll go back to 433 cause you played that for 6 years and didn't quite make it".  Very john gregory. 

Think it’s time to give up posting anything ,it’s getting near impossible to have proper debate on anything derby county ,almost every thread descends to the same subjects no matter how it starts and it seems almost impossible be positive about anything derby county ,feels more like being on the forest forum trying to fight derby s corner

8 hours ago, LazloW said:

What tends to aggravate me is that you know generally from a title thread what way certain posters are going to go even before you read it.  I’m a happy clapper (sorry for the term) but am capable of criticising the manager, the club, the team, the stewarding, the traffic management and any other aspect of the club as and when I consider it warranted and necessary to do so (search hard and you will find ‘negative’ posts, though actually I tend to follow the line of ‘if I haven’t got anything positive to say; I won’t say anything at all’).  What pushes me to the ignore button is the ability of some to find a negative in anything and everything the club does.  

I used to get drawn into all sorts of arguments with people over their comments.. and still do now and again, though I try not to bite as often as I did (indeed, a constant argument I was having with one particular regular poster during NCs time drove me from the site for about 5 years). It does seem that there is a bit of deja vue about most threads (including the descent into punning!) and this leads me to lurk more, arbitrarily ‘like’ more without justification or stay clear of some topics altogether.

However, of the 8/9 posters really unhappy with Rowett, I imagine the same names will crop up who seem really unhappy and critical of Mel, the academy, rams tv, why we postponed Sunday’s match (and automatically jumping on the anti/DCFC bandwagon) and so on.  There is often a lack of balance or even willingness to consider an alternative view which irks and which undoubtedly leads to the same arguments cropping up time and time again.  Obviously the same could be said from those who won’t hear a word said against anybody.  

I actually think that some people tend to stick to their guns a lot because of a tendency for people to drag up comments from yonks before which would suggest somebody has - shock of shocks - changed their mind about something.  Being called a hypocrite or inconsistent seems to be the worst thing in the world in social media, so for some I think it is just easier to carry on regardless even if they don’t believe it.  

In terms of GR, I’m currently giving him the benefit of the doubt.  This may change.  My comments over time might reflect this. It doesn’t make me a bad person or a liar, I’m just reacting to a changing context (politicians suffer from this too).

This isn’t a ‘don’t be negative’ comment, this is really just a ‘you don’t have to be negative to meet your internet persona or justify the previous 1000 posts you made’ plea.  Indeed, if people react to the situation and context more then, in general, I tend to take more notice of what they say.  Those with a one track mind - for or against the club - tend to be ignored (as most of my posts are probably ?).

Wow - that’s really long!! Sorry (trying to avoid work)

I hope that regular poster who kept you away for five years wasn't me pal?

I could get pretty defensive and argumentative those days and I too see comparisons to those times.

I'm not as emotionally invested now as i used to be but even I find myself wanting to jump to the defence of GR and the club over some of the tripe that's posted.

It's also much easier to see good points o both sides of the fence, I've just never understood hpw fans who are so emotionally invested on love for the club, the badge and everything it stands for can be so critical.

Would be like me settings a forum for me, me mam, and three siblings and just sit there slating everything about them.

Ffs, despite the fact they aren't perfect, I love them and won't see them criticised for nowt.

Love the club, be a blind faither (unless it's a three amigos type situation which clearly this isn't)

If you are a supporter, support, that's your job. It's all you've got to do.

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just looked at your last 10 or so posts.................You are definitely one of them! :lol:

Always has been.

I don't know for sure but I'd be tempted to say the forum has over the years, definitely been infiltrated by non Derby fans on a wind up and yes  i am aware of the irony of that statement coming from me.

You can spot some of them a mile off but if you dare to point it out you'll be slated, they'll pull out some random stat about watching the club since Ron Webster's days and convince the less clever posters they are genuine

David you've done a brilliant job mate, I tink I always used to tell you that even when you were banning me for being a narky defensive ****.

Nowt you can do to rid the world of **** **** pal, you'll drive yourself nuts trying.

3 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

If not, take a hike. 

Agree with that.

Don't think that post did anyone any favours at all.

Personally I am not overly sensitive to criticism of my views, which (yes) have been critical of Gary Rowett’s actions, tactics, policies, etc., as I feel vindicated  (but not pleased) that what I have said he was going to bring about (particularly re his refusal to use the talents of Chris Martin, Will Hughes and Timi Elsnick this season) has now occurred and our chances of (even) the playoffs are receding fast ! 

This is not an ‘I told you so’ post, it is a statement of fact, an observation of the limitations of our manager, who so many on this forum appear to believe knows more than all the great managers in history .. that if you reject and sideline your best,  most creative, imaginative ‘flair’ players, and ignore your Academy, then your ’journeymen’, your ‘old stagers’ will bring you success ! 

Ok, it has happened once, when Greece won the 2004 European Championships, but ........ ! 

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

This is what I personally can't stand, and seems to be quite prevalent at the moment.

Not that particular poster btw, but anyone who's opinion obviously matters more because they've seen every game, at every level, since forever.

Even other teams and players they know more about, and then state opinion as fact.

It's right up there with 'What level have you played at, to think that way? As if you only can have a viewpoint if you've played at a semi-pro level at least.

While I'm on a moan, this sort of post makes the forum hard work too.

Why? Wtf has that got to do with Rowett? 

Is it that Mac's agent wasn't as good as Gary's, so missed out on improving his clients contract when the first club came sniffing?

Is that what the poster is saying?

Posts like this do far more to disengage me than anything else, it's so boring to retread old ground constantly, whether pro or anti Gary.

I'm still on the forum far too much, but much like real life, I find the pub more and more appealing.

Maybe @David should think about a stand alone forum based on the Pub thread. 

p.s. On very rare occasions I find the moderation on here over cautious, but on balance it's a much better forum than any other I've so far seen on a range of topics, so well done for that.

go to the pub and chill,it's all about opinions mate ,we are not all meant to agree ,but we are still allowed our opinions

7 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Personally I am not overly sensitive to criticism of my views, which (yes) have been critical of Gary Rowett’s actions, tactics, policies, etc., as I feel vindicated  (but not pleased) that what I have said he was going to bring about (particularly re his refusal to use the talents of Chris Martin, Will Hughes and Timi Elsnick this season) has now occurred and our chances of (even) the playoffs are receding fast ! 

This is not an ‘I told you so’ post, it is a statement of fact, an observation of the limitations of our manager, who so many on this forum appear to believe knows more than all the great managers in history .. that if you reject and sideline your best,  most creative, imaginative ‘flair’ players, and ignore your Academy, then your ’journeymen’, your ‘old stagers’ will bring you success ! 

Ok, it has happened once, when Greece won the 2004 European Championships, but ........ ! 

Actually it's not a statement of fact until we aren't occupying a play-off place and are statistically unlikely to get one. 

It's your opinion.

Archived